Join Early Retirement Today

At age 80
Old 06-03-2017, 09:20 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

At age 80

With so much interest about planning for the future in terms of dollar needs, here's a simple exercise that looks into the future... not with calculators that project what you'll need, but with simple logic.

So here's the challenge...
Look ahead to yourself at my age... 80. What do you see yourself spending... for one year? At today's money value, not projecting inflation.

Make some reasonable assumptions.
-Reasonable health
-With housing that you may live in at that age
-With travel and entertainment you think you'll be enjoying
-Consider other current expenses that may be less::
---Clothing
---Automobile expenses (miles driven, replacement)
---Housing
---Entertainment
---Home upkeep expenses.. remodeling, furniture, decor,
---Taxes.. Federal, state, homestead exemptions, tax freezes etc.

No right or wrong answers. When I look around at my age peers, there are some in their original homestead, in Florida Condo's, in CCRC villas (like us), in assisted living, in nursing homes, and some doing world traveling... while about half of those who were born when I was... are dead.

While we were planning our retirement back in 1989, with spread sheets (not calcuators) we projected decreased spending as we aged. It's what I now call Phase II, though didn't look at it that way back then.

So here are some current numbers for DW and I, living in our Liberty Village Villa, still owning in our FL over 55 community at Lake Griffin Harbor, and our lakeside Park Model at Woodhaven Lakes... both of which we'll sell within the next year or two.

Current expenses $40K
After divesting Woodhaven and Florida $30K

If you have a mom , dad or other relatives today you might look at their status... where they live, what they do, where they go, what they spend.

One of the nicest parts of getting older, is that there is less need for planning... less anxiety about whether we'll have enough, wondering whether we'll die before being able to enjoy our retirement . It's much easier getting up in the morning without the overhang of worries about the future. We're very happy and grateful to be where we are, and we DO look forward to many more years, while accepting whatever the future may bring.

The regulars here at ER have already dragged themselves thru our story, but for newcomers, maybe a peek at what is now 28 years of being unemployed.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ent-62251.html
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
With so much interest about planning for the future in terms of dollar needs, here's a simple exercise that looks into the future... not with calculators that project what you'll need, but with simple logic.

So here's the challenge...
Look ahead to yourself at my age... 80. What do you see yourself spending... for one year? At today's money value, not projecting inflation.

We've talked about this as part of our planning (that's 23/24 years out). Problem is the unknowns, even making the reasonable assumptions that you mention. Big ones: What City/Country will our kids be living in? Will we have grandchildren--if so where? (And, will we want to spend much time with each other?)

But, we presume that we will be traveling substantially less, regardless of portfolio value. We also will have sold our 25 acres and big house to move into the city.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm almost 74, DW 72:

-Reasonable health (not DW)
-With housing that you may live in at that age
-With travel and entertainment you think you'll be enjoying
-Consider other current expenses that may be less::
---Clothing = very little, say $500
---Automobile expenses (miles driven, replacement) - Ins, upkeep, my hobby car - $5,000
---Housing - Inc all spending + prop tax - $20,000
---Entertainment - WAG @ $5,000
---Home upkeep expenses.. remodeling, furniture, decor, - $2,000 (est - new water heater
---Taxes.. Federal, state, homestead exemptions, tax freezes etc. - $3500

Adding medical ins, presc. etc - $14,000

$50,000 total

Add contingencies - $10,000

Total = $60,000
Old 06-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

imoldernu >>> I always enjoy your posts and have followed your history. I like your input because it does give us early retiring people a chance to hear from some that has been retired for awhile. You have brought a lot of encouragement for me and you talked about things that I haven't yet experienced. Thanks

The thread you have just started (above) is another great way to look down the road for some answers. Even if everyone has a different life and we don't know the future it is some great advise.

Thanks Sir
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
imoldernu >>> I always enjoy your posts and have followed your history. I like your input because it does give us early retiring people a chance to hear from some that has been retired for awhile. You have brought a lot of encouragement for me and you talked about things that I haven't yet experienced. Thanks
I agree! Thank you for sharing your life's experiences with us. I can't tell you how much I appreciate and value it.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
I agree! Thank you for sharing your life's experiences with us. I can't tell you how much I appreciate and value it.
+1

I lurk all the time and rarely post, but have learned so much from your experience, common sense, and still-curious-at-80 attitude.
Camellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #7

Too hard for me to estimate.

When my mom was 80, she was in fairly good health and her expenses were about $1,500 a month.

When she died at 96, they were well over $6,000 a month living in an assisted living/memory care place.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:11 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you for sharing! Only one year into retirement now but hope to be where you are one day
evilanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #9

I have a spreadsheet that projects our spending to age 100. At 80, in today's dollars, the projected spend is $61K, down from about $95K today. With inflation it's $148K, mainly driven by medical and energy. We're both 56 today.

As a comparison point, my-in-laws are 83 and 84. I do their taxes and other financial stuff, so I know that their spending is right around $45-50K. They have a modest house which is fairly new so minimal maintenance... One car which gets little use, minimal entertainment unless DW and I drag them out of the house, travel maybe once per year to see their son's family in another state, some clothes, gifts for grand-kids and great grand kids, and zero federal taxes.

They retired in the early 90s with a little more than $1M nestegg. It's now down to about $130K. They traveled extensively until health problems slowed them down 7 or 8 years ago. They also sold their beach house in Florida and moved close to us here in Texas.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #10

Good post. Yes, lots of variables. When my grandma was late 70s she moved to assisted living because grandpa was mid 80s and needed help she could not provide. Their housing cost several thousand a month (I believe ~$6k) exclusive of activities and outings.
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:34 AM   #11

As braumeister alluded to above: we can plan within reason ... however, what may throw the whole thing off is if the 'last man standing' (the phrase DSO and I use) requires extensive care with ADLs. We may or we may not, and that is the biggest variable. It would be a lot easier to plan if we knew (and we have not purchased long term care insurance nor is it in our plan now).

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #12

Currently 67 and I'm assuming that expenses will remain roughly at the present level (60 - 70k a year) until 80 as I have seen several examples of people of that age living in the same rural environment with acreage as we do. Beyond that however it gets really hard to estimate as health requirements vary so widely with the aging process and the big elephant in the room is how technology will evolve. Will we have robot assistants 20 years from now and self driving cars that would allow one to remain in place even as infirmities take hold? I'm not sure that assisted living/nursing homes will be as we see them today 20-30 years from now.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #13

my spending will be zero. Im positive ill be dead before 65
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #14

I'm currently almost 67 DW almost 60. My plan is to spend the same amount (adjusted for inflation) until my demise. What the DW does thereafter not sure but probably will be less. Our income, dividends and pensions will continue until the second of us us gone.

The components will certainly change though. We will likely have sold one or maybe two of our homes. Travel? Not sure but less active for sure more cruising and less biking. End of life health care expenses can be pretty well covered by our current travel budget, so not really an issue. The bottom line is there is plenty of cash flow available to us. How we spend/gift it will almost certainly change. Have no intention of building up a huge legacy so will either spend it or give it away, me thinks.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
my spending will be zero. Im positive ill be dead before 65
How can you be positive about something like this?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #16

Come'on, he 's always kidding.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
OK, as fed said i like to keep it light, but dad passed at 57, and im slightly chubby.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #18

Quote:
The Judge told him so?
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Will we have robot assistants 20 years from now that would allow one to remain in place even as infirmities take hold?
Now that sounds both interesting and becoming to sound very possible !

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:45 PM   #20

Quote:
My plan is to spend the same amount (adjusted for inflation) until my demise.

The components will certainly change though.
This is it in a nutshell for us, too.
At some point the interest in travel and hobbies will begin to diminish, freeing up a substantial chunk of our budget.

At another point, the possibility of assisted living, etc. may rear its ugly head, and that will take the place of the travel and hobby spending.