At what point does focusing on your finances/ER become counter-productive?

AHA!! Another RPG fan. I adore BG. These are terrific games.

HA! And I thought nobody plays these games anymore. Icewind Dale, Baldurs Gate, great memories!

I was just cleaning my house, getting rid of old stuff and I couldn't make myself throw away old games. I was telling myself that maybe ......one day... :)

HA! And I thought nobody plays these games anymore. Icewind Dale, Baldurs Gate, great memories!

I was just cleaning my house, getting rid of old stuff and I couldn't make myself throw away old games. I was telling myself that maybe ......one day... :)

KEEP THEM!!! I have been having a ball with Icewind Dale this week. They are still fun. :)

I obsess too, but it is more of a hobby I guess. But my other hobby is similar...trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my FI when I RE...finally.

When retirement seemed far, far away, I was content to review the monthly statements and review the financial plan with my advisor every year. Now that RE is a viable possibility I find myself visualizing every detail, financial and otherwise.

It's funny b/c for me it's the opposite. RE is pretty far away for me (at least 20 years), but I figure that I should put the time in now, understand as much as I can, while I can still reap the most benefits from compounding. I don't want to have to chase crazy returns when I'm in my 50's. Part of my current obesssiveness with RE planning is that I've been doing a lot of financial spring cleaning lately. I'd like to think that after I get my current situation in order, I'll be able to let go of the reins a little and not be as obsessive as I am right now. Then again, I could just be crazy. :duh:

I read an article the other day that mentioned a couple in their 50's starting to plan for retirement, and I was a little taken aback by that. I like being prepared, so there's no WAY I could wait that long to plan for retirement.

My problem is that I have about 35% of NW in a single stock. I obsess over it it, the rest of my index funds, bonds etc.don't matter. The really stupid part is that if I just sold it all and bought indexes FIRECALC puts my SWR at ~3.5%. No worrys. Yet I want the max from this one, check prices several times daily, ignore all other assets. Is there a 12 step program to sell it?

With all respect: this is mere naked greed. It is not worth subjecting yourself to the stress you descibe, and risk jeopardising your hard-earned FIRE, merely to squeeze the last few unnecessary pennies out of this investment.

A classic story has an investor asking Nathan Rothschild for financial advice. The investor asked, "How did you become so wealthy?" To which Mr. Rothchild replied, "I always sold too soon". You should follow this wise counsel.

P.S. to Olav: your suggestion re hedging with a put option makes some sense, but a long-term option may not be available, and would certainly be very expensive. I think it would be better to simply begin a gradual diversification programme.

Back
Top Bottom