Attention Navy Federal CD shoppers...

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I don't currently have any cash looking for a home, but I thought somebody might find this useful. This morning I got the following from Navy Federal: "Open a new share certificate of your choice and get a 0.50% increase on current dividend rates.2 Use promo code Cert2015. "

If you add the promotional 50BP to their published rates you can get a 5 year CD at 2.5%. This is above even the fly by nights that top the national 5 year CD rates.

CIT bank is offering 2.5% for 5 years so about the same. The better deal looks to be the 30 months @ 2.25%

Tried to open one online - no place to put the code - called talked to Shirley she says you got to do it online - told her there is no place to enter the code - she said she can not do it manually it has to be done online, I said where do I enter the code - she said start from the home page - said goodbye and hung up on me. So good luck using the code, I gave up.

CIT bank is offering 2.5% for 5 years so about the same. The better deal looks to be the 30 months @ 2.25%

Best I see at CIT is 2.32% for a jumbo.

If the early withdrawal penalty is the same, I mostly just go for the highest rate offered.

Thank you again, Brewer.

Was just posted to my account:
1.350% for 12 mo. 03/03/2016

Best I see at CIT is 2.32% for a jumbo.

If the early withdrawal penalty is the same, I mostly just go for the highest rate offered.

I had to e-mail CIT to find out the early w/d penalty , could not find it on the site a few mo. ago

. It's one year of interest on the 5 year cd. I am not a customer and they replied within 4 business hours :).

I'l see if I still have the e-mail, may have the e.w.d. penalty for other cd's

"Our CD penalties are as followed:

6 Month – 1 Year CDs: 3 Months Interest Penalty
2 Year – 3 Year CDs: 6 Months Interest Penalty
4 Year – 5 Year CDs: 1 Years Interest Penalty

Please feel free to call our customer service center at 855-462-2652 or email us at BankOnCIT@cit.com if you have any questions."

Last edited:
Lakewood, 1 year of interest seems to be the market standard penalty for longer term CDs. With rates as low as they are, it isn't much of a hurdle if rates spike. Since I have yet to surrender a CD early, its mostly been a moot point for me.

I don't think I can join navy federal. The closest I have to connections to the military is my deceased father who was in the navy - but that doesn't seem to be an option. I'm bummed as I need to move some cash into CDs.

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk HD

I don't think I can join navy federal. The closest I have to connections to the military is my deceased father who was in the navy - but that doesn't seem to be an option. I'm bummed as I need to move some cash into CDs.

Do you have any family members that are fed employees? Seems "contractors, etc." could be a grey area (Navy pun :facepalm: ) to obtain membership.

Sponsoring member's affiliation (i.e., Army, Air Force, Contractor, etc.)
https://www.navyfederal.org/about/what-you-need-to-apply.php

Thanks Brewer......this might be just what I need to fill some rungs on my ladder.

Navy Federal is also doing the "add-on" CD promotion this year but I have not seen it publicized anyplace. They let me add funds to an existing CD and get the same rate for the remainder of the term so I effectively got a 26 month CD @ 4%.

Back
Top Bottom