Attn G*ld Bugs

d

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Canada mints 200-pound, solid-gold coin
Got change for a million? Canada does: the world's biggest pure gold coin at 200 pounds. Already, three buyers have shelled out for one of the 1 million Canadian dollar coins introduced last week.

The Royal Canadian mint made the coins — 20 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick — mostly to seize the bragging rights from Austria, which had the record with a 70-pound, 15-inch wide coin.

"They're not doing this because there is huge demand for 100-kilo gold coins," Bret Evans, editor of Canadian Coin News said Saturday. "They're doing it because it gives them some bragging rights in having the largest purest gold coin in the world."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070505/ap_on_fe_st/odd_huge_coin;_ylt=AqLvfo7FssoA9eDp_CbdItXMWM0F

need one for both left and right pocket or you'll be unable to stand straight.

Kinda big! Since you will have problems storing it safely... you can leave it with me. I will keep it safe for you!

Just let me know when you need it back. :D :D :D

Reminds me of Yap Island Stone money, only smaller. The Yahoo link didn't work for me but this one did.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_10630.aspx

In best government tradition, the amount of gold is actually worth more than the coin is selling for. Maybe we should pool together to get one.

Adds new meaning to the phrase, "Buddy can you spare some change."

I'm not sure how they compute the price of this thing but :

100 kg = 220.462 lbs = 12 x 220.462 = 2645.544 troy ounces x $683.30 = $1,807,700 in American dollars.

bssc said:
...In best government tradition, the amount of gold is actually worth more than the coin is selling for. Maybe we should pool together to get one.....

"It takes about six weeks to make and has a face value of 1 million Canadian dollars ($903,628), though it sells for approximately $2.7 million depending on the market value of gold."

Dang. face value. thought there was a major arbitrage situation there - not that I've got a cool million kicking around loose, but still...

Just got an idea for a little extra retirement money. Think I'll work on a design for chairside brandy tables, use the coins for the tops. ::)

Prolly have to setup delivery through Brinks cause UPS might lose the shipment. :D

Back
Top Bottom