Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-27-2023, 03:16 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You add umbrella coverage & use your insurance company's lawyers.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2023, 07:15 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquernom View Post
Several years ago I attended a presentation by a retired judge in Michigan that was given during a course for a concealed carry license. He explained that if you shot someone in your home, you may be clear of criminal charges, but NOT civil charges. And if you have an umbrella insurance policy, you're a lawyer's dream.
I'm not advocating against those policies, it was just a surprise how the retired judge viewed them.
Our State Farm homeowners and umbrella policies specifically exclude any intentionally caused damages, that seems common in many/most states.
So if you accidentally shoot someone in your house, that's covered. But if you intentionally shoot someone in the house who is trying to murder your wife, you pay the bill.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 05:51 AM   #43

OP, please let us know the outcome.
Old 11-29-2023, 02:35 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
Our State Farm homeowners and umbrella policies specifically exclude any intentionally caused damages, that seems common in many/most states.
So if you accidentally shoot someone in your house, that's covered. But if you intentionally shoot someone in the house who is trying to murder your wife, you pay the bill.
I'm skeptical since my umbrella insurance has the (paraphrasing) "except in defense of yourself or others" language concerning the willful use of a firearm.
Old 11-29-2023, 04:44 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
I'm skeptical since my umbrella insurance has the (paraphrasing) "except in defense of yourself or others" language concerning the willful use of a firearm.

All seems a bit strange, though I would think it would be decided AFTER adjudication. IOW were you "justified." Apparently, that's not a consideration. Again. Strange. But YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 05:18 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
I'd just say I was aiming for my DW, and accidentally hit the criminal
Old 11-30-2023, 07:01 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
All seems a bit strange, though I would think it would be decided AFTER adjudication. IOW were you "justified." Apparently, that's not a consideration. Again. Strange. But YMMV.
no, it means they have to represent you if you're making that claim.

remember you have insurance to cover civil liability, not criminal.
Old 11-30-2023, 07:30 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Reading all these stories is freaking me out... and really making me miss the years I lived in Hong Kong car-free...
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote