Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-07-2008, 07:12 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Yahoo to keep my portfolio w/o any dollar or share amounts. I have all of that in Quicken. Every weekend I update quicken with the NAV's from the Yahoo portfolio and I get my balance. When times are good doing it every week is a pleasure. These, it just gets me upset.
Larry
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2008, 07:42 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Interesting that you say that. I have a spreadsheet (excel) where I automatically update the quotes at end of day. (I used to have it set up to do realtime updates using dde but found that to be a bit of a hassle.) In any case, I have quite a few holdings, and one of the things I miss about the old days of updating manually is that I now feel less "connected" to how a security is acting.
Being connected to how your net worth isn't always a bad thing (or something you should miss). It is always fun during a bull market, but dreadful during a bear...
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've been using Quicken since it first came out in the 1990's. For the past three or four years, I have been downloading nearly all of my transactions. I currently have about 30 different accounts (most are laddered CD's) and will probably have more in retirement. I track everything, so I always know my net worth.

Quicken has an excellent retirement planner built into it, and if you constantly update your accounts' information, that info is transferred automatically into your Retirement Planner. Both Quicken and their Retirement Planner require a bit of time to initially set up, but then updates are easy. They have a reminders feature that you can set up to monitor your accounts and alert you when CD's are about to mature, or when a bill is due.

I only buy an updated version about every 3 years -- I'm currently using Quicken Deluxe 2006, but plan to upgrade to Quicken Premier 2009 when it is released this fall. By the way, when a new verison is released, there are usually a few bugs still in the program and everyone complains about it. Then Quicken gets everything fixed over the following few weeks and it runs smoothly. Always keep checking for updates to ensure the software runs properly.
pie2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:46 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
Let us sing a song of cheer again
Happy days are here again

copyright 1929 Ager & Yellen
Uh-oh.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I user Excel spreadsheet to automatically retrieve price data for all stocks and funds I hold, from various websites that supply free data. The facilities in Excel 2007 for pulling in a table of data off a web page you browse to are very easy to use. I've also (re)created a copy of my spreadsheet in Google docs so I can access my data from everywhere.

I also automatically pull in things like interest rates and benchmark bond fund yields so I can calculated real benchmark yields for cash and bond asset classes.

By using Excel I can calculate things that Quicken doesn't show me, e.g. the predicted future return on different asset classes (according to my methodology) and hence the income my assets should support.
cjking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

Very interesting information about Excel, cjking. I'm still using Excel 2003 so I didn't know that Excel could do all of the things you mention. I did just get a laptop that has a trial version of Excel 2007 on it, but I haven't opened it yet. Can't wait to try it now!
Old 07-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I think Excel 2003 can extract data from the web as well, maybe not quite as user friendly. Look up "web query" in the online help. (I haven't actually used it - I went from 2000 to 2007 last year when I decided I need this facility.)
cjking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #48
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjking View Post
I think Excel 2003 can extract data from the web as well, maybe not quite as user friendly. Look up "web query" in the online help. (I haven't actually used it - I went from 2000 to 2007 last year when I decided I need this facility.)
Thanks, cjking -- I'll look into this. I have just recently started studying the Excel tutorials. I was planning to more fully learn the program after retirement, but I see that I should spend some time learning it now because it might help with retirement planning. Thanks again.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:50 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-ss-31728.html

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I manually enter the numbers into Microsoft Money and check Money with Online Investing: Stocks, Personal Finance & Mutual Funds at SmartMoney.com (Select -- Subscription) and that with www.cakefinancial.com.

I am like W2R as I, too, enjoy the gut-wrenching experience of peeking daily -- I do it at night, however. (Don't want to ruin my day.)

In any event, I find Cake Financial to have the most accurate (eh, realistic) calculations. YMMV
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:01 AM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks HFWR for the link!
Free To Canoe is online now   Reply With Quote