Join Early Retirement Today

Average Cost of Living by US States
Old 09-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Average Cost of Living by US States

Where is there a website or other resource that provides the average cost of living by US states. I do not want a site that only contains "index" information, where 1 is deemed to be the average cost across all states and then different co-efficients are assigned to states that are above, or below, the average. Rather, I want the average costs for typical expenses for each state- ie.- rent/mortgage payement, property tax, food, utilities, gas, propery insurance, car insurance, health insurance, etc.

Thank you for your help.
nico08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This Cost of Living Variation - Kaiser State Health Facts might be useful. It concentrates on health costs.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I realize a person has to start somewhere in the search for a place to live, yet I'm a little wary of "averages" by state. Even smaller states are actually quite big and various.

Taking the "average" of a state such as MD, which has very wealthy/prosperous and very poor/depressed areas, would be like putting one buttock on a red-hot stove and the other one on an ice cube, and declaring, "On average, I am sitting comfortably."

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #4

I live on Long Island NY. The other day my partner and her friend had lunch at their favorite Asian restaurant. When they commented to the owner on how few customers there were he told her that a lot of his lost customers were retirees that could no long afford to live in the area and moved to other states.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I realize a person has to start somewhere in the search for a place to live, yet I'm a little wary of "averages" by state. Even smaller states are actually quite big and various.
Early retirement types seem to be drawn to lists and decision trees and all that kind of thing. If it only distracts from the pain of work all this stuff will have served a good purpose.

Ha
Old 09-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I suspect most of the COLA differences among states relates to housing. You'll probably do as well looking at local housing listings for the areas you're interested in as you will using any calculator.

For what it's worth, we've "lived" in 25 different states in the past 18 months and haven't noticed much of a difference in prices for the things we normally buy.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
like putting one buttock on a red-hot stove and the other one on an ice cube, and declaring, "On average, I am sitting comfortably."

Amethyst
PLEASE don't try this at home.

However, if you do, please post a video...
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Taking the "average" of a state such as MD, which has very wealthy/prosperous and very poor/depressed areas, would be like putting one buttock on a red-hot stove and the other one on an ice cube, and declaring, "On average, I am sitting comfortably."

Amethyst
Point well taken on average costs and nice that Greg's link lists average AS WELL AS lowest and highest cost urban area costs. Doesn't list out in the sticks costs though...
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #9

try city-data. The cost breakdown is not as detailed as what you are looking for but it does have overall cost of living and housing cost for both large and small towns within each state. If you have a specific location in mind you can ask questions on the forum for that state or region.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have utilized the Places Rated Almanac for comparisons in the past. They rate (fairly detailed) 379 U.S. cities. There is a 2011 version out now. I used my local library's copy (usually in the reference section), but did a quick search and found their online site.

David Savageau's Places Rated Home Page | Places Rated
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
I have utilized the Places Rated Almanac for comparisons in the past. They rate (fairly detailed) 379 U.S. cities. There is a 2011 version out now. I used my local library's copy (usually in the reference section), but did a quick search and found their online site.

That was really interesting, thanks! 3 of the 10 places I just visited (my short list) were on the top 10 this tool recommended, maybe I'm on the right track...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

did you try here?

Best Places to Live | Compare cost of living, crime, cities, schools and more. Sperling's BestPlaces
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

This is the smartest place-comparison tool I've seen yet.

The "comparisons" are not totally relevant for us (we care a lot about property crime, and the tool only cares about violent crime; we care a lot about surroundings, but don't want to live anywhere near water) and some of the choices were a little bizaare (Long Island? Really?) so I may have to go back and think about my choices more carefully. Still, one of the things they taught me in SE school is not to force a tool's conclusions to match my preconceived notions

As I was clicking through the choices, I thought, "Hm, this is just like using Expert Choice." Then I saw it is powered by EC - duh!

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Definitely, I've spent days on Sperling & City Data among others. Thanks!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
and some of the choices were a little bizaare (Long Island? Really?)
Amethyst
Jones Beach Baby!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jones Beach jazz.jpg (91.1 KB, 1 views)