Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-03-2018, 08:28 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not the person you were addressing, but probably he/she has retiree health ins from the former employer. Many (lucky) people I know do.

I was hoping to get to that stage but it looks like I will fail.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2018, 08:55 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is more then we spend a month by about $500 but still very much inline for the average people in my opinion.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:53 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I only tracked spending since 2010 with Quicken. Looking back, my annual expenses for the last 12 months are 55% that of the most expensive year.

That's what happens when you are done with major home repairs/upgrades, children college tuition, gifts to help them buy home, daughter marriage, etc...

And when your stash grows "bigly" in those years despite heavy spending, you end up with 2.2% WR at the present time. The living is great during a bull market; the Dow was 10,000 in 2010 and it is 24,000 now.

Imagine somebody who was working during the above period and did not draw on his stash, and even added to it. Mucho mucho money at this point.

But I digress....

Back on what a retiree needs to spend, it can be $20K/year, or it can be $200K. It all depends on how much he has. He who has more, spends more.

But is the $200K/year guy going to live a long healthy life compared to the $20K guy? No, that takes luck more than money.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
My Grandmother has been a widow for almost 20 years with her husbands pension dying with him. She has SS and a $500/mo non-cola'd annuity for a total of about $2000/mo. Round up and say $25k/yr. She has everything she needs and most things she could ever want and has never mentioned anything about feeling poor or not having enough money.
This reminds me of my mom who recently died at 94. Her total income was about $24k a year and has been every since my dad died 18 years ago. Recently when she became ill I started handling her finances. I came across some bank statements from about 10 years ago.

In the last 10 years she had saved over $50k! The point being that in most years she wasn't spending $25k and had money left over. Health care last year was about $7400 of which about $5800 was Medicare/supplement/Part D premiums.

Her house was paid for. Actually last year she had some unusually high home maintenance expenses. But that didn't happen most years. She still drove and had auto insurance and auto related costs. Of course, food and utilities.

But beyond those basics she just didn't spend a lot of money. She didn't have Internet. She didn't have Cable TV. She didn't go out to eat hardly at all. She rarely bought clothes. She didn't really have hobbies (she was 94! but she didn't have expensive hobbies before that). Her big indulgence was subscribing to the daily paper.

But she spent money if she wanted to. She bought some jewelry last year. She gave me a nice Christmas present. She paid for AAA.

Even so, in most years she ended the year with more money than she started with.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:56 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It amazes me how many very well off people here don't realize how well off they are. If you think $46K/yr is very low then you are very well off. My lifetime average income is around $30K/yr and I have lived a good life and managed to save 6 figures by the time I was 30. My Grandmother has been a widow for almost 20 years with her husbands pension dying with him. She has SS and a $500/mo non-cola'd annuity for a total of about $2000/mo. Round up and say $25k/yr. She has everything she needs and most things she could ever want and has never mentioned anything about feeling poor or not having enough money. Most people don't spend 5 figures on travel a year. Most people don't spend 5 figures on food/restaurants/alcohol per year. If you can and want to then that's fine but you need to realize the majority can't afford those things. Even people who worked hard for decades often can't afford those things. Not everyone had a 6 figure income and/or a generous pension.

I grew up pretty blue collar in the Midwest and I agree with everything you posted. In many ways I think it was an advantage as we can be happy these days with relatively low overhead, at least low for a higher cost of living area.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:54 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But is the $200K/year guy going to live a long healthy life compared to the $20K guy? No, that takes luck more than money.
I agree to some extent. Money can't keep you from getting Alzheimer's or pancreatic cancer. But- the "luxuries" I have include:

-Gym membership
-Dental implants, meaning I can still crunch my way through fresh fruits and vegetables (poor nutrition can be a serious side effect of dental problems, and they can affect your overall health as well)
-Groceries not dominated by fatty meats and processed foods, which is what many people with limited funds buy
-The means to get medical attention if I need it, rather than waiting till I can't stand it and going to the ER
-The ability to pay most out-of-pocket prescription costs. I have my limits ($80K for a round of Hep C treatment would be a shock) but I'm not likely to have to stop medication because I ran out of money.

And yes, I DO know how fortunate I am. I'm in remarkably good health (running a mile race tomorrow at age 65, and doing the 7-km bicycle portion of a team duathlon Sunday) and part of that is because I can afford it.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #47

Quote:
It amazes me how many very well off people here don't realize how well off they are. If you think $46K/yr is very low then you are very well off. My lifetime average income is around $30K/yr and I have lived a good life and managed to save 6 figures by the time I was 30. My Grandmother has been a widow for almost 20 years with her husbands pension dying with him. She has SS and a $500/mo non-cola'd annuity for a total of about $2000/mo. Round up and say $25k/yr. She has everything she needs and most things she could ever want and has never mentioned anything about feeling poor or not having enough money. Most people don't spend 5 figures on travel a year. Most people don't spend 5 figures on food/restaurants/alcohol per year. If you can and want to then that's fine but you need to realize the majority can't afford those things. Even people who worked hard for decades often can't afford those things. Not everyone had a 6 figure income and/or a generous pension.
Helping a relative with much the same income situation.

They may even have a little more income...but they entered retirement with mortgage & HELOC payments of close to $1,000/month.

If they didn't have that to cover they'd be in much better financial shape.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:01 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid Organic Farmer View Post

I have extremely good health insurance from my employer. So I pay a lot less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I thought I read you were retired for many years and have rental property income? Are you still working?
His profile indicates that he has a Navy pension, so I would assume he is using Tricare or the VA. Both of which are far, FAR cheaper than I would guess 98% of plans out there. I have Tricare Prime and the family premium is less than $600 a year with very low co-pays.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:09 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireSoon View Post

Here in the relatively LCOL midwest, our car payments alone run > $567 / month. Add gas, insurance, etc and we're at $1K/mo easy.
Not trying to make an assumption, but very few of the retirees that I know have ANY kind of car payment. My direct/indirect costs (purchase price, taxes, fuel, maintenance, the ENTIRE COST to date) for my current car (purchased new in 2009) has totaled $52,110 or averaged, $501 a month. This is for a car that cost $34,000 out the door. *IF* I had purchased a Honda Civic, or similar, those costs would have been substantially lower...So, I don't think that the $567 is a number that is that far off.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:22 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Ultimately, I think the 35K a year is fairly realistic...at least for our household. A quick review shows that our total spending in 2017 was less than 30K. This included quite a few extras, such as new gutters, a significant amount of preventive maintenance on my car at 100K miles, some dental work for the DW and two decent trips (which much was paid for my reward card benefits). My 90yo Dad's spending was far, FAR less than this...more in the neighborhood of 20K...which included quite a bit of spending on medical issues.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Not trying to make an assumption, but very few of the retirees that I know have ANY kind of car payment. My direct/indirect costs (purchase price, taxes, fuel, maintenance, the ENTIRE COST to date) for my current car (purchased new in 2009) has totaled $52,110 or averaged, $501 a month. This is for a car that cost $34,000 out the door. *IF* I had purchased a Honda Civic, or similar, those costs would have been substantially lower...So, I don't think that the $567 is a number that is that far off.
Normally I'd agree but we recently bought a car and are taking advantage of zero percent financing even though I could have written a check for it.

When I track my expenses I reclass this out since it muddies the water with historical spending data. This is the first time I have ever "financed" a car in my life.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:52 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Averages are meaningless to us.

They are also dependent on place of residence. My guess is that NYC or SFO are both considerably more expensive than East Rubber Boot, Iowa.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I agree to some extent. Money can't keep you from getting Alzheimer's or pancreatic cancer. But- the "luxuries" I have include:

-Gym membership
-Dental implants, meaning I can still crunch my way through fresh fruits and vegetables (poor nutrition can be a serious side effect of dental problems, and they can affect your overall health as well)
-Groceries not dominated by fatty meats and processed foods, which is what many people with limited funds buy
-The means to get medical attention if I need it, rather than waiting till I can't stand it and going to the ER
-The ability to pay most out-of-pocket prescription costs. I have my limits ($80K for a round of Hep C treatment would be a shock) but I'm not likely to have to stop medication because I ran out of money.

And yes, I DO know how fortunate I am. I'm in remarkably good health (running a mile race tomorrow at age 65, and doing the 7-km bicycle portion of a team duathlon Sunday) and part of that is because I can afford it.
Sure. There's no drawback to having money, as I see it.

Between being diagnosed with a terminal illness at 60 after spending $200K/year and living on $20K till 90, I know what most people would choose. However, the choice is not ours to make.

But some really poor souls may get less than $20K/year, and still die early. Now, that's bad.

My point is simply that above a certain point, money does not matter that much. I do have enough so that I do not have to worry about money, and can spend the time to worry about my health instead.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote