Average Retiree Spend

Not trying to make an assumption, but very few of the retirees that I know have ANY kind of car payment. My direct/indirect costs (purchase price, taxes, fuel, maintenance, the ENTIRE COST to date) for my current car (purchased new in 2009) has totaled $52,110 or averaged, $501 a month. This is for a car that cost $34,000 out the door. *IF* I had purchased a Honda Civic, or similar, those costs would have been substantially lower...So, I don't think that the $567 is a number that is that far off.
Normally I'd agree but we recently bought a car and are taking advantage of zero percent financing even though I could have written a check for it.

When I track my expenses I reclass this out since it muddies the water with historical spending data. This is the first time I have ever "financed" a car in my life.

Averages are meaningless to us.

They are also dependent on place of residence. My guess is that NYC or SFO are both considerably more expensive than East Rubber Boot, Iowa.

But is the $200K/year guy going to live a long healthy life compared to the $20K guy? No, that takes luck more than money.

I agree to some extent. Money can't keep you from getting Alzheimer's or pancreatic cancer. But- the "luxuries" I have include:

-Gym membership
-Dental implants, meaning I can still crunch my way through fresh fruits and vegetables (poor nutrition can be a serious side effect of dental problems, and they can affect your overall health as well)
-Groceries not dominated by fatty meats and processed foods, which is what many people with limited funds buy
-The means to get medical attention if I need it, rather than waiting till I can't stand it and going to the ER
-The ability to pay most out-of-pocket prescription costs. I have my limits ($80K for a round of Hep C treatment would be a shock) but I'm not likely to have to stop medication because I ran out of money.

And yes, I DO know how fortunate I am. I'm in remarkably good health (running a mile race tomorrow at age 65, and doing the 7-km bicycle portion of a team duathlon Sunday) and part of that is because I can afford it.

Sure. There's no drawback to having money, as I see it.

Between being diagnosed with a terminal illness at 60 after spending $200K/year and living on $20K till 90, I know what most people would choose. However, the choice is not ours to make.

But some really poor souls may get less than $20K/year, and still die early. Now, that's bad.

My point is simply that above a certain point, money does not matter that much. I do have enough so that I do not have to worry about money, and can spend the time to worry about my health instead.

Back
Top Bottom