Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2017, 04:48 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

$2200 per month for me. Own home in low COL area. Home Insurance, property taxes, health insurance, food, utilities and internet, car maintenance and car insurance comes out to $15,000 per year. The balance is all discretionary items -- travel, hobbies, gifts, donations, etc.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2017, 06:48 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
For Reference Our home is ~$900k and PT is about $7k.....
I'm envious. In many parts of Texas the property taxes on a $900K home could easily be over $27K per year. We fought and fought this year to bring the (tax) appraised value of our home down to under $300K but the property taxes will still be close to $9K so I pretty much budget $800 a month for those alone.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #63
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I read some MR money Mustache posts, I stopped when I read some of them dont shower regularly to save on hot water. Thats not my style.
I know of retirees who'd shower in our condo's shower facilities to save on their own water bills. It takes all kinds.
HappyMinimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:04 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm living on $1500 a month. Works for me, and gives me a few hundred left over each month for fun stuff (mainly hobby spending). I've given rough details in the forum before, but won't do it in this thread because there are all sorts of ways to get your expenses down if you really want to. If you don't really want to, and can afford it, then good for you!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:24 PM   #65

We live on $1400 a month by living simple in the Midwest.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:35 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
I've read folks spending after tax dollars, 2500/month. This seems impossible with property taxes (own home) and insurance, a vacation. Need honest and complete spending spreadsheet to compare.
I am spending much more than $2.5K/month, but if push comes to shove I believe I can reduce down to that much by changing the lifestyle.

No, no spreadsheets available (would have to make one up), but I know people who live OK with that. Why would I be different?

Caveat: this is predicated on me being past the Medicare age of 65, or the current ACA laws continuing with its subsidy for low-income people.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:35 PM   #67

Our property taxes on near 30 acres are $29 a year. I pay more for a meal at Red Robin.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:41 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey, the location associated with your forum username still says Seattle.

Can you get that low a tax rate on 30 acres near Seattle, even if it has no dwelling on it?
Old 08-03-2017, 09:10 PM   #69

Well, I did not factor my Angel Flight flying into the equation. Last year I spent almost 8K, and this year so far, 5K. BUT, as long as I can afford it,
Why not?
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
I'm envious. In many parts of Texas the property taxes on a $900K home could easily be over $27K per year. We fought and fought this year to bring the (tax) appraised value of our home down to under $300K but the property taxes will still be close to $9K so I pretty much budget $800 a month for those alone.
OMG. I had no Idea they were that high
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:46 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMinimalist View Post
I know of retirees who'd shower in our condo's shower facilities to save on their own water bills. It takes all kinds.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 08-03-2017, 09:47 PM   #72

, love it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Our property taxes on near 30 acres are $29 a year. I pay more for a meal at Red Robin.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:42 AM   #73
gone traveling

I don't spend cash. I use one credit card only and all my bills, groceries, gas, insurance....it's all on that card. The card is $1400 per month. Add that to my corvette payment (3 more years) and my monthly expense is less than 2 grand.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:07 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I read some MR money Mustache posts, I stopped when I read some of them dont shower regularly to save on hot water. Thats not my style.
lol, I read one post where the person said they don't flush the toilet at night to save on the water bill Yep, after the last uhm relief, they let it sit until morning.

That's when I got scared.

Rianne,
unfortunately I stop doing the spreadsheet thing after about 2 years of it. now I have a pretty good grasp of where the money goes. sorry.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:58 AM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Average Spending in Retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
I've read folks spending after tax dollars, 2500/month. This seems impossible with property taxes (own home) and insurance, a vacation. Need honest and complete spending spreadsheet to compare.

For me that's right in the ballpark so far, less my vacation budget ( which varies) and unforeseen medical or emergency expenses. Key is I do not live in a high COL area (central Ohio - midwest). It is about average. I have low repeating monthly expenses ( no mortgage, fully paid off cars, no high cable TV, no landline phone, etc). My biggest expense is food and groceries (two boys ages 17 & 21), followed by a $6000 annual property tax bill.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:05 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAtoUS View Post
WOW...$50/month medical/dental/umbrella insurance/spending

We spend $1,600/ month on health insurance. How is it possible that you guys spend so little on it?
Some people have insurance that is heavily subsidized. ACA can make premiums ~$0/year for people who have certain income levels. Some have medical covered through their employer and/or former employer. I have both options (work pays most of my premium currently, but I also have free healthcare through the VA that I can use in lieu of buying another insurance plan when I stop working) myself.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:15 AM   #77

Our first year RE spending is running around $8K/mo. However, travel (#1 category), home improvements, other discretionary, and taxes on the income to cover it all are more than half. We could subsist on $3.5K/mo.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:17 AM   #78

Honestly, even though I do track most things, I do not live by it. We spend what we need to, in order to live the way we want to. At the end of the year I look back. Last year 2016 $51,407. This year 2017 to date $26,330.80 BUT if we wanted to we could live on $2500pm easily.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:46 AM   #79

Rianne, Was looking at your post where you introduce yourself http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ans-87912.html are you traveling this much every year? What is your travel and pet boarding expense each year? Can't even imagine the cost to board 2 large dogs for a month. Haven't had dogs for a few years but it was several hundred just for a week.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:38 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Here is a picture of part of my spreadsheet:
I love the cars and travel. Nice healthcare costs too. Ours are $562/month, not including deductibles or copay. I'm looking into a catastrophic situation as we've been to the doctor 3 times this year, so far. Just follow up visits too. Our YMCA is our real healthcare plan.
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote