Average Spending on EBAY

Ebay was definitely headed that way but I think it is starting to see the error
of this way of thinking . The thing that made ebay was all the little sellers selling unique items and they were heading towards becoming anything but that . They lost tons of buyers and sellers so they are now backtracking and trying to be more friendly to the small sellers .

How are they "more friendly" ? Have fees gone down ?

I used to sell books for 99 cents. Used to make shipping $5 - and I'd make a couple bucks there.

Ebay now caps shipping on paperback books at $4. So now I don't make any money on shipping. Sell a book for two bucks - and the ebay and Paypal fees are 1/2 of that.

Maybe I'm expecting too much.

The first five items you list are free . If you are selling low cost items it works out great . $4 for shipping paperbacks is pretty generous considering they go media mail . I sell hard cover books on amazon . For paperbacks find a swap center you will do better. Ebay has also just started multiple listing so I usually sell skirts in several sizes . Now I can sell them all with one listing rather than several so it saves on fees . I do agree the fees eat up profit but I still make a decent amount and it keeps me amused .

The first five items you list are free . If you are selling low cost items it works out great . $4 for shipping paperbacks is pretty generous considering they go media mail . I sell hard cover books on amazon . For paperbacks find a swap center you will do better. Ebay has also just started multiple listing so I usually sell skirts in several sizes . Now I can sell them all with one listing rather than several so it saves on fees . I do agree the fees eat up profit but I still make a decent amount and it keeps me amused .

Moemg, I think you mentioned that you sell new skirts. Whre do you get your stock?

Ha

While I probably spend about $150 a year on Ebay, I've been mostly dissapointed and will likely not continue. Most everything I've bought has turned out to be counterfeit- from the replacement cell phone battery, to the BMW car accessories, to the Deisel jeans- they were ALL fakes. My last straw is the P90X system I just bought- it said genuine and new in box- that much is true, but little clues give away that it is counterfeit- from the numerous poor spellings in the manuals, to the frequent freeze ups on the DVD's- you just know that this isn't the real deal.

I suspect that a huge percentage of the stuff being sold is counterfeit.

I suspect that a huge percentage of the stuff being sold is counterfeit.

If you report something to ebay that is counterfeit they will refund your money and ask you to destroy the item . Ebay is really tough on counterfeits .

I like it. It saves me a lot of money. I just bought an electronic ignitor bulb for my gas oven off of ebay. $29 delivered. Sears wanted $72. That's good savings.

What makes me angry is Paypal and fees. I sell a lot of books and cheap stuff for under $10 -- the damn Paypal fees for merchant account are over a buck.

When you add ebay fee and shipping - it is a "near waste of time" - but gets books in hands of people that want them

I started to feel this way about books, too. For low-priced books, I use paperbackswap instead now. It gives me that same sense of satisfaction you mention - getting books to people who want them, without me feeling like I've been "taken" by eBay/PayPay fees. And I've received a couple of really nice books through paperbackswap as well.

I guess I'm one of those "black swans", but I purchased a used car (2005 Cadillac SRX) on eBay early last year, after participation in several auctions over a couple of months.

I had test driven a similar vehicle (2007 leftover) through a local dealer, but we could not agree on a price.

The car was purchased from the original (GM) dealer as a one-owner returned leased unit, along with a 5-year certification. Although several states away, it was delivered to my door (via a car carrier) and had been completely reconditioned (I would suppose a bit better than a private sale).

After 18 months, I'm still satisified with my experience (even my wife, who thought I was crazy at the time).

It sure can be fun. I always snipe (bid in the last few seconds). I download the correct time put the clock up, set up the bid with the maximum I'm willing to pay, wait until 15 seconds to go, and click the final button. Then in a few seconds I get to find out whether I lost, or whether I won, and for how much.

Most everything I've bought has turned out to be counterfeit- from the replacement cell phone battery, to the BMW car accessories, to the Deisel jeans- they were ALL fakes....I suspect that a huge percentage of the stuff being sold is counterfeit.

I would expect "Deisel" jeans to be counterfeit...:LOL:

Sold about 50 items, grossed about $2500. Never bought anything on eBay, not that I wouldn't. Just that most items are bid up too high, the bargains are less frequent from what I've seen.

I bought one item approximately 5-6 yrs ago. My daughter was a Mohiganette (dancing band member) and had to have a pair of short demin overalls for a costume. My daughter was tiny and still is even after having a baby. At the time, some 0's were too big for her. We went everywhere trying to find the overalls for her, to no avail. Someone suggested Ebay and I thought what the heck, I would try it. I found a perfect pair that were originally from the GAP in her size and the transaction could not have went any smoother. I have not used it since, but I can remember thinking that after I retired, I would have to check it out more. I have been retired over 3 years, but still have not found the time to check it out yet. Too much other stuff that I would rather be doing. I have never been a big shopper.

Back
Top Bottom