Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
And I'm sad because I will probably be too old before they get all the self-driving car technology and infrastructure working properly.

And positively p'd off because there has been no progress whatsoever toward affordable, efficient robot housemaids (Roombas do not count, I want a robot that cleans toilets without being asked and keeps on top of the dusting too!).

I do like nice cars, though.

Amethyst
I am solidly in your camp. I generally like driving cars, except when the traffic is the pits (meaning when there is someone in front driving slower than I want to, which is rare). When that happens I'd be more than happy to hand the task off to a robot and read a book or watch a movie.

Happiness is warm weather, a motorcycle, an open road, and no traffic.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2014, 02:11 AM   #582
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
And I'm sad because I will probably be too old before they get all the self-driving car technology and infrastructure working properly.

And positively p'd off because there has been no progress whatsoever toward affordable, efficient robot housemaids (Roombas do not count, I want a robot that cleans toilets without being asked and keeps on top of the dusting too!).

Amethyst
Here! Here!
Sarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #583
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I am solidly in your camp. I generally like driving cars, except when the traffic is the pits (meaning when there is someone in front driving slower than I want to, which is rare). When that happens I'd be more than happy to hand the task off to a robot and read a book or watch a movie.

Happiness is warm weather, a motorcycle, an open road, and no traffic.
Which is why the apparent impending demise of the manual transmission is disconcerning to me...though I plan to keep my manual for at least another 10years baring disaster

And for me Happiness is warmish weather, a bicycle, an open road and no traffic
Old 09-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #584
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Amethyst

Google Self Cleaning Commode and take your pick. Dusting is another matter. From a technology standpoint there will probably be a number of different solutions to each robotic task. A single general purpose robot is a long long long looooooong way off.

ArkTinkerer
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #585

Quote:

Amethyst
I have fantasies of Rosie the robot from the Jetsons.

Self cleaning commodes don't address the issue in my house. I have boys.. their aim is sometimes "less than optimal". The self cleaning commode focuses strictly on the inside of the toilet... not the area around it.

(And yes - I make them clean the bathroom near their bedrooms... Make them deal with it.)
Old 09-29-2014, 02:14 PM   #586
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would even settle for a smart, self-cleaning house (versus a machine that goes around and cleans like a human does). That would probably cost way more than any of us can afford, though.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I have fantasies of Rosie the robot from the Jetsons.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #587
Administrator

Quote:
Self cleaning commodes don't address the issue in my house. I have boys.. their aim is sometimes "less than optimal". The self cleaning commode focuses strictly on the inside of the toilet... not the area around it.
I'm sure they aim to please. Maybe they just need a little help with their guidance systems.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #588
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Speaking of cars....

Have you all seent hat commercial for the Infiniti Q50 (I think that is the car) where the guy almost gets into 3 accidents, but the car nanny protective functions keep him from being in an actual accident? Then at the end of the commercial the announcer says something to the effect "Infiniti cares about you so you can be driving"

The guy in the ad is NOT DRIVING, he almost causes 3 accidents!! The ad itself is a complete contradiction of what they are trying to show. The car is not for driving, it is for inattentive driver that is not paying attention to the act of driving! Makes me crazy when I see that commercial.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #589

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
The guy in the ad is NOT DRIVING, he almost causes 3 accidents!! The ad itself is a complete contradiction of what they are trying to show. The car is not for driving, it is for inattentive driver that is not paying attention to the act of driving! Makes me crazy when I see that commercial.
I hate that ad, for that very reason. It makes it look like you can get behind the wheel of a car, be totally ignorant, and the car will save your butt.

I'm convinced that as the cars get smarter, we get dumber. I've noticed with myself that as I've gotten used to cars that turn on the lights automatically and lock the doors automatically, that if I get into an older car, I'll forget to lock the doors, and occasionally forget to turn the lights on as it gets darker.

Years ago, I had a friend who traded cars, going from a 1982 Cutlass Supreme sedan to a used 1995 Grand Marquis. One day during a snow storm he called me from a pay phone and said his car was making some weird noises and acting funny, and he wanted to get my opinion. So, he came by, picked me up, and drove me around a bit. Those noises and vibrations it was making was the ABS working itself into a frenzy to keep his butt from wiping out! I can't remember if it had traction control or not. But, he was driving at speeds much faster than he would have in his Cutlass Supreme, given the road conditions. The difference is that the Olds would have started losing traction and giving him warning long before he got up to those higher speeds. But because the ABS was keeping him from spinning out, he just kept going faster.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #590
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would even settle for a smart, self-cleaning house (versus a machine that goes around and cleans like a human does). That would probably cost way more than any of us can afford, though.

Amethyst
You rang, Madam?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...08_233x423.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg article-1360819-0C5FBE2B000005DC-108_233x423.jpg (25.5 KB, 19 views)
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:38 PM   #591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I hate that ad, for that very reason. It makes it look like you can get behind the wheel of a car, be totally ignorant, and the car will save your butt.

I'm convinced that as the cars get smarter, we get dumber. ...
Interesting perspective was offered by a researcher. I hope it was at least partially tongue in cheek. What he noted was that driver fatalities had pretty much leveled off. Each new safety feature made drivers feel safer so then they drove faster/more recklessly. Total fatalities went up--pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcyclists were not so well protected. His conclusion was we could save more lives by removing the air bag from the steering wheel and replacing it with a 6" steel spike pointed at the driver's chest...
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:44 PM   #592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
His conclusion was we could save more lives by removing the air bag from the steering wheel and replacing it with a 6" steel spike pointed at the driver's chest...
Said spike to extend whenever cell phone/text activity detected.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #593
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Skip the robot.

House cleaners / maids are pretty cheap. At least where I live. I almost asked the mother of one of my kid's friends if she would clean our house (she advertises these services on her minivan), but then my Awkward Wealth (tm) filter kicked in and I decided I'd keep swabbing the toilets occasionally myself.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #594

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
House cleaners / maids are pretty cheap. At least where I live.
Never had a maid/house cleaner although we thought about getting one when we were both working.

My brother and his wife has one that comes in once a week. However, I think they feel awkward about it since they feel like they have to clean up somewhat before the maid comes. I'd guess that most wealthy don't do that.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #595
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Never had a maid/house cleaner although we thought about getting one when we were both working.

My brother and his wife has one that comes in once a week. However, I think they feel awkward about it since they feel like they have to clean up somewhat before the maid comes. I'd guess that most wealthy don't do that.
I have a housecleaner come 1x a month for over 15 years..... $50 (price never went up). LOL, I declutter before she comes, hang up clothes, thin out my piles of various papers, put stuff back in pantry or cabinets. I use to feel awkward, however no more :-)
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #596
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
You can get a crusty loaf by adding steam in the first 5-10 minutes of baking. I have a gas oven. Don't know if you can use an electric oven.

Place a cast iron pan on the floor of the oven. Preheat oven, spray the dough with water before placing in oven, use a long handled soup ladle or long spout kettle to dump water into the cast iron pan and quickly close the door. Caution because dumping water in hot cast iron pan can shoot out and burn you.

You can also try spraying water inside the oven during the first 5-10 minutes. I've never had much luck with this method. Caution, do not have the light turned on inside the oven. If you hit the bulb with water you can shatter the bulb.

I also have a bread oven made from clay that you dampen with water before placing bread inside and placing in oven. You can make a bread oven from clay flower pot and clay saucer. I'd have to look up the directions for how to make it. Pretty sure you have to season the inside, similar to cast iron pot before you bake bread in it.
I did shatter the bulb once!
Old 09-29-2014, 09:51 PM   #597

I hear they are making big technical advances with sexbots everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:19 AM   #598

Quote:

(And yes - I make them clean the bathroom near their bedrooms... Make them deal with it.)
The problem is only partly bad aiming. The trajectory of any stream of liquid emerging under pressure from an orifice is basically governed by statistics. Some amount of small droplets will always be separating off, partly due to friction at the liquid/air boundary and partly due to imperfections in the manufacturing (!) process of the orifice. Sitting down to pee helps, but even then, not entirely (check the underside of the toilet seat in an all-female household after a few days' use).
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:47 AM   #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Said spike to extend whenever cell phone/text activity detected.
+1. As a bicyclist, I often have an awkward feeling when interrupting a drivers cell phone conversation with my screams.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 09-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #600

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
The problem is only partly bad aiming. The trajectory of any stream of liquid emerging under pressure from an orifice is basically governed by statistics. Some amount of small droplets will always be separating off, partly due to friction at the liquid/air boundary and partly due to imperfections in the manufacturing (!) process of the orifice. Sitting down to pee helps, but even then, not entirely (check the underside of the toilet seat in an all-female household after a few days' use).

WE HAVE A WINNER!

You won the Awkward Wealth thread!

Thanks for playing, everybody.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote