Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #721
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But it lets you forget you don't have it?

Well, you still need $3 for a bottle of Night Train, but I think that with an investment of a cardboard sign, you can get enough for a fix in less than 1 hour, if you choose the right intersection.
This would be a great marketing campaign for the homeless demographic. "$3 for Night Train; cheaper than a blanket but still keeps you warm at night"
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #722
Give me a forum ...

Thus bringing us back nicely to the thread topic. Gator Spit probably promotes awkward behavior, but it's cheap, so it also promotes wealth!

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
That might actually be cheaper per unit than Night Train, Boone's Farm, and the other maladies listed here. $14 for six liters of gator spit at a 13.3% alcohol concentration versus $3-4 per 3/4 liter for the fortified wines. Gator spit = $1.75 per 750 mL (or "fifth" as many call it).
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #723
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Ah, HFWR, that reminded me of a central feature in my and DH's early courtship...the consumption of a copious amount of something romantically called "Gator Spit", which contained in roughly equal portions: questionably cheap vodka, Cheerwine, and Hawaiian Punch.
Ah, good times.

That is funny! We use names for each other (Night Train is one, but not mine), I don't know if anyone wants to be Gator Spit.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #724
Give me a forum ...

Thanks to the Internet (and an inquisitive mind), I have caught up in the knowledge of bum wines after decades of ignorance in a sheltered life, once I invested a few hours surfing and googling.

The thing I have not done is to taste them one myself. Except for Boone's Farm, which is quite tame and not really a bum wine, I have not seen the infamous 5 in the earlier lineup for sale anywhere. Perhaps I simply was not paying attention. I also want to check the prices, as some sites say the going price of some can be a lot lower than the $3 I saw.

But then, as I saw that I might have to go to stores like the one below to acquire a bottle, I changed my mind. From all the Web reviews, I can have a close fascimile by lacing my cherry-flavored cough syrup to 18 proof. And I can even imagine the taste, and save the trouble (would be kind of hard to explain to DW what I was trying to concoct).

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #725
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
That might actually be cheaper per unit than Night Train, Boone's Farm, and the other maladies listed here. $14 for six liters of gator spit at a 13.3% alcohol concentration versus $3-4 per 3/4 liter for the fortified wines. Gator spit = $1.75 per 750 mL (or "fifth" as many call it).
That DH was always a frugal rascal when it came to such. And remember, considering I was technically underage (sshhhhh, don't tell anyone), I was quite easily (though not actually easy, mind you) impressed by such inventive drinks mixing.

Must have worked, it has been 25 years since then. Though I've been known to plug a watermelon with a bottle of cheap rum a time or two. That's a whole 'nother kinda madness.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #726
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
That is funny! We use names for each other (Night Train is one, but not mine), I don't know if anyone wants to be Gator Spit.
Subtle line in the background at the end of a Carly Simon song (darned if I can remember the title!) " ... freight train running thru my tracks..." Had to cue my wife in as it was so out of character for her songs.
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #727
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The turn this thread took towards wine got me to thinking. Do they still make Bali Hai which my older brother got me in high school (the internet is so useful!)? Nope. What about Ripple? Used to get that in college, cheap high. Anyway, looks like it too has met its demise. Ahhhh, nothing like an evening in the dorm room with bottles of Ripple and friends....those were the days!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #728
Give me a forum ...

Bali Hai makes me think of the musical "South Pacific". I posted a tune from that a while ago, won't repost to bore you, but it's a nice reference (yours).

Awkward Wealth
Old 10-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #729
Give me a forum ...

Awkward Wealth

The effects of too much Bali Hai wine make ebola seem like a skinned knee...

Don't ask me how I know this..,

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #730
Full time employment: Posting here.

Years ago, when I lived in the mountains of Colorado, a friend of mine threw a party and mixed up a bunch of what he called "party punch". I don't know the exact formula, but it was a bunch of white liquors with some mashed up fruit (cherries, strawberries, etc) in it, all mixed up in a big Coleman camping cooler. He said he mixed it up extra strong for this particular party, and was quite proud of it.

Me and the other partygoers thought it tasted great, but a few people passed out, my friend's fiance retired early with a splitting headache, and a couple people swore they got alcohol poisoning from it.

I somehow made it home alive (I don't remember much), and went and visited them again a couple days later.

When I walked up to the house, I noticed he had thrown the remnants of the punch out in the yard, and there were all these bits of fruit lying around.

Now, in the mountains of Colorado, anything left out gets eaten, doesn't matter what it is. But these bits of fruit remained untouched. Even the animals roaming the woods didn't want anything to do with it.

My friend swore he'd never mix up another batch of that stuff again, and to this day he refuses to make any, and won't share the recipe with me.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Though I've been known to plug a watermelon with a bottle of cheap rum a time or two. That's a whole 'nother kinda madness.
That's been on my bucket list but DW isn't much for drinking alcohol (fortunately).

Never heard of gator spit until now. Must be a southern blend.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #732
Moderator Emeritus

Best party we ever had as grownups featured several pitchers of Fish House Punch (from the recipe in the link: "Do not garnish with fruit, herb, vegetable, or paper umbrella.")

Fish House Punch - Drink Recipe – How to Make the Perfect Fish House Punch - Esquire

Quote:
Back in 1732, a selection of Philly bigwigs ganged together to start a club; they called it, for reasons best known to them, the State in Schuylkill Fishing Corporation. They built themselves a house on the banks of the "Skookul," as it's pronounced, concocted themselves an official punch, and set to it. Fish. Drink. Eat. (The club's still around, so they must have been doing something right.)
Their punch caught on pretty much right away, and small wonder: This refreshing tipple is so tasty that you'll want to put away about a quart of it, and so strong that after you do you'll forget where your pants are -- even if you happen to still be wearing them, which is by no means certain. But we digress.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #733
Give me a forum ...

Looking at the ingredients in the recipe, I can see that this is no bum wine.

It may take a bit of wealth, but the following effect,

Quote:
... so strong that you'll forget where your pants are ...
is certainly awkward.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #734
Give me a forum ...

This has to be one if the strangest threads in recent memory.....

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #735
Give me a forum ...

Don't you think posters are quietly imbibing bum wine while posting?

Old 10-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #736
Moderator Emeritus

Another bum wine from the old days - Giacobazzi Lambrusco. This stuff is impossible to get out of carpeting

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/di...pagewanted=all
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #737
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
This has to be one if the strangest threads in recent memory.....

It has been successfully hijacked by a no-good bunch of wine-drinking early retirees.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:51 PM   #738
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
Years ago, when I lived in the mountains of Colorado, a friend of mine threw a party and mixed up a bunch of what he called "party punch". I don't know the exact formula, but it was a bunch of white liquors with some mashed up fruit (cherries, strawberries, etc) in it, all mixed up in a big Coleman camping cooler. He said he mixed it up extra strong for this particular party, and was quite proud of it.

Me and the other partygoers thought it tasted great, but a few people passed out, my friend's fiance retired early with a splitting headache, and a couple people swore they got alcohol poisoning from it.

I somehow made it home alive (I don't remember much), and went and visited them again a couple days later.

When I walked up to the house, I noticed he had thrown the remnants of the punch out in the yard, and there were all these bits of fruit lying around.

Now, in the mountains of Colorado, anything left out gets eaten, doesn't matter what it is. But these bits of fruit remained untouched. Even the animals roaming the woods didn't want anything to do with it.

My friend swore he'd never mix up another batch of that stuff again, and to this day he refuses to make any, and won't share the recipe with me.
A large female kinda ghetto classmate in college specialized in "fire". She would go from room to room adding whatever hard liquor bottle remainders she could requisition to her jug. Refusing her request for booze submissions just was not done. Gin, bourbon, vodka, brandy - don't think the ingredients or proportions really mattered, but strangely it didn't taste half bad, particularly after several pulls on the jug. No mixer, just straight booze - fire did not mess around but went directly to kicking butt and freeing inhibitions.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:58 PM   #739
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
It has been successfully hijacked by a no-good bunch of wine-drinking early retirees.
To be able to ER means one has wealth. Drinking bum wine frees one from inhibition, allowing him/her to make awkward posts.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #740
Give me a forum ...

You guys are an awkward wealth of knowledge on bum wines.

Any opinions on 40 ounce beers? I stick to the malts myself. King Cobra, Old English (love the fancy name!), The Bull. That sort of thing. Nothing like spending under 2 bucks for a torpedo full of lovely amber brew that tastes great straight from the bottle or can be served to all of your party guests.