Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #341
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Link? I am sorry, but when you throw quality lines out like that, you should be able to point to a credible third party source.
Just google it. Plenty of info from many sources out there. Do you watch the news? It's been discussed frequently with the minimum wage issue being debated.

A recent study just released that something like 47 percent of college grads now don't earn more than high school grads.

Ric Edelman and Ray Lucia both mentioned the studies results on their talk shows.

All I am saying is that our economy and job market has changed drastically in the past 20 years.
20 years ago everybody felt sorry for school teachers making low pay while the private sector was getting rich.
So now those same teachers are considered overpaid and don't deserve a pension.

Obviously degrees in nursing or engineering or medicine or computer science ,etc will land a grad a job but not everyone can get these type degrees.
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #342
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
I guess it is because fact you have two BMWs and ..... Those items will impress gas station attendants though .
That is exactly the attitude I am pointing out. You assume that the only reason someone would spend $ on something you don't/can't (in this case expensive automobiles) is that it has to be for the reason of impressing someone.

Maybe just maybe, the guy/gal driving a better (or way better) car (or house or suit, etc.) than you simply made more money than you and can easily afford to buy what he/she wants.

Wonder who you think my Patek watch is to impress...
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #343
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
That is exactly the attitude I am pointing out. You assume that the only reason someone would spend $ on something you don't/can't (in this case expensive automobiles) is that it has to be for the reason of impressing someone.

Maybe just maybe, the guy/gal driving a better (or way better) car (or house or suit, etc.) than you simply made more money than you and can easily afford to buy what he/she wants.

Wonder who you think my Patek watch is to impress...
It would not impress me because I can buy Patek watch as well as BMW in cash. I would HATE to look rich. It is impractical.......

As I said those items will impress gas station attendants and a like.

You would impress me if you have more then at least 10 million in "invest able assets" not counting your BMWs and Patek watch. Now it is possible that you do...... And in that case I must say yes you do impress me but your Patek watch does not
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #344
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Just google it. Plenty of info from many sources out there. Do you watch the news? It's been discussed frequently with the minimum wage issue being debated.

A recent study just released that something like 47 percent of college grads now don't earn more than high school grads.

Ric Edelman and Ray Lucia both mentioned the studies results on their talk shows.

All I am saying is that our economy and job market has changed drastically in the past 20 years.
20 years ago everybody felt sorry for school teachers making low pay while the private sector was getting rich.

Obviously degrees in nursing or engineering or medicine or computer science ,etc will land a grad a job but not everyone can get these type degrees.
No link, then. Thanks for the confirmation that you are just slinging CP-USA BS against the wall to see what sticks.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #345

I googled it. I got this: Salary Survey: Average Starting Salary for Class of 2013 Grads Increases 2.4 Percent
"The overall average starting salary for Class of 2013 new college graduates currently stands at $45,327, an increase of 2.4 percent over the reported average of $44,259 for Class of 2012 graduates, according to the September 2013 Salary Survey."
Of course, that is for those that have a job.

My math has never been great. But, isn't that about double the $12/hr claim?

Quote:

Old 09-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #346

Quote:
It would not impress me because I can buy Patek watch as well as BMW in cash. I would HATE to look rich. It is impractical.......

As I said those items will impress gas station attendants and a like.

You would impress me if you have more then at least 10 million in "invest able assets" not counting your BMWs and Patek watch. Now it is possible that you do...... And in that case I must say yes you do impress me but your Patek watch does not
Again, what makes you think I (since you seem to want to personalize this) have any desire to impress you? I buy what I want because I like it and I can afford it. End of story.

Honestly your smug attitude of condemning others spending habits, particularly with throw away comments of "I could do it if I wanted to, but its such a waste of money" nonsense is very tiring (to put it politely).
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #347

Seems to me we've strayed far from the original topic. I sometimes-not often!-feel awkward when I'm driving around my restored 1976 Monte Carlo. It is such an obvious luxury to have a hobby car.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #348
gone traveling

Quote:
Again, what makes you think I (since you seem to want to personalize this) have any desire to impress you? I buy what I want because I like it and I can afford it. End of story.

Honestly your smug attitude of condemning others spending habits, particularly with throw away comments of "I could do it if I wanted to, but its such a waste of money" nonsense is very tiring (to put it politely).
It is not smug attitude. If you are lucky to do very well in your life....then you probably know that showing it off will lead to absolutely nothing good.

Now I know that so I would avoid anything to drive expensive car or wear Patek Watch.......

Doing that will not demonstrate anything positive to most of people and I am practical man and not a show off snob.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #349
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I googled it. I got this: Salary Survey: Average Starting Salary for Class of 2013 Grads Increases 2.4 Percent
"The overall average starting salary for Class of 2013 new college graduates currently stands at $45,327, an increase of 2.4 percent over the reported average of $44,259 for Class of 2012 graduates, according to the September 2013 Salary Survey."
Of course, that is for those that have a job.

My math has never been great. But, isn't that about double the $12/hr claim?
Heh, I love it when a BS artist gets the spotlight shone on them.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #350
Recycles dryer sheets

My moment, which has been repeated multiple times.

We have lived in the same starter home for 24 years, and everyone assumes is is paid off (which is correct), or near to it.

We are building our retirement home, which cost four times the value of out existing home. Friends keep making comments like "I bet it is going to be difficult to go back to paying a mortgage." The answer is no it is not, because we are paying cash. However, I have not pointed this out to anyone. I just generally agree (lie) and say that it is going to be hard to paying a mortgage again.

I guess this is not really awkward, I just wish I did not feel like I have to lie.
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #351
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post

When I read about someone like Garth Brooks or Facebook dude, having hundreds of millions of dollars to billions of dollars, I can't even conceive of spending that much money in my lifetime.
There is a certain level of wealth where when you rise above it, you are no longer thinking about how you might be able to spend it all before you die. It just becomes a way of keeping score.
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Awkward Wealth
Old 09-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #352

Awkward Wealth

Quote:
Link? I am sorry, but when you throw quality lines out like that, you should be able to point to a credible third party source.

That's bull. Here's a link: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/House...ion_and_gender

Per latest US census figures a college grad with a BS earns an average of 67% more annually at age 25 than a 25 year old with only a high degree. Those are median salary figures.

And here's the LATEST figures regarding percentile of college grads who were still unemployed after a year of graduation.

"Four of every five participants in the National Center for Education Statistics survey graduated in fields outside science, technology, engineering and mathematics -- the so-called STEM fields. No major reported double-digit unemployment numbers. Graduates who majored in engineering had a 4.3 percent unemployment rate, while health care majors had a rate of 2.2 percent. The highest unemployment rate was 9.6 percent, for those with social science degrees."

IE: That statement that was reported last year by an April 2012 AP report and got a lot of "spin" had no basis. In fact the statistics show over 90% get good jobs in less than a year that pay almost double what they could hope to have made without that bachelor's degree.

The link to that is here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5564881.html

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #353

Awkward Wealth

Quote:

Quote:

That's bull. Here's a link: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/House...ion_and_gender

Per latest US census figures a college grad with a BS earns an average of 67% more annually at age 25 than a 25 year old with only a high degree. Those are median salary figures.

And here's the LATEST figures regarding percentile of college grads who were still unemployed after a year of graduation.

"Four of every five participants in the National Center for Education Statistics survey graduated in fields outside science, technology, engineering and mathematics -- the so-called STEM fields. No major reported double-digit unemployment numbers. Graduates who majored in engineering had a 4.3 percent unemployment rate, while health care majors had a rate of 2.2 percent. The highest unemployment rate was 9.6 percent, for those with social science degrees."

IE: That statement that was reported last year by an April 2012 AP report and got a lot of "spin" had no basis. In fact the statistics show over 90% get good jobs in less than a year that pay almost double what they could hope to have made without that bachelor's degree.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5564881.html

Old 09-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #354
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It is not smug attitude. If you are lucky to do very well in your life....then you probably know that showing it off will lead to absolutely nothing good.

Now I know that so I would avoid anything to drive expensive car or wear Patek Watch.......

Doing that will not demonstrate anything positive to most of people and I am practical man and not a show off snob.
Did it ever cross your mind that perhaps LARS just enjoys nice cars and watches or whatever and isn't "showing off" as you put it. Maybe he is doing well in life not because he is "lucky" as you wrote, but because the harder he works the luckier he gets.

I drive modest cars even though I could afford better but that is a choice I make but I certainly would not resent those who drive nicer cars because they can afford to and chose to. I have several friends who chose to drive Audi, BMW and Porsche and if that is how they chose to spend their money that is fine with me.

You may think you're not a snob, and perhaps you are not, but you definitely have a good sized chip on your shoulder.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #355
Recycles dryer sheets

Sad BMW owners with a deep seated need for status:

Why Unhappy Retirees Are Driving BMWs - Business Insider

Be happy, go Lexus!
Cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #356

Quote:
We own two BMWs, a Porsche and a Lotus; and by own I mean own, not leased, not financed, but bought and paid for without compromising our lifestyle one iota.

Helmet on, back in bunker, waiting for incoming.
No need to be ashamed (or proud) of such possessions. Ultimately we are all alive for a short time, and 'you can't take it with you'. If owning and using fine quality goods gives you pleasure and you can afford the expense, why not?

Some might argue that you are a victim of marketing, and insufficiently aware of the 'hedonic adaptation' phenomenon; but even if that is true, it is not apparent that your tastes/choices hurt anyone else (the 'comments' on this blog entry debate at some length the 'morality' of luxury purchases. The arguments of "Derek" - who suggests that treating oneself to a $109 notebook is entirely indefensible in a world where so many have so little - seem to me to be specious and superficial, but we all have our opinions …).

Of course, if a person goes around gratuitously flaunting their expensive stuff, or rubbishing other people's cheaper possessions, that would be deplorable; but there is no evidence of any such conduct on LARS' part.

I agree with pb4uski: merely because someone prefers nice things doesn't necessarily imply that they are 'showing off'. Sometimes what is presumed to be conspicuous consumption is no more than private enjoyment.

It's also noteworthy that a pricey car/boat/house/watch/whatever may be less expensive for a UHNWI than a cheap alternative is for a middle class person: it's all relative.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #357

Quote:
No link, then. Thanks for the confirmation that you are just slinging CP-USA BS against the wall to see what sticks.
If you think that most college grads are now landing jobs that pay a living wage than good for you. I say they are not.

You stated that changing jobs frequently is going to increase your earnings by 1 million over your career. Good for you. clap clap.

Somebody in a post said they are glad they don't make 40k to 50k and I just pointed out that those 50k wage earners could accumulate wealth by LBYM and investing with no long breaks in employment. Starting in their 20s.

So for the millions of middle-class wage earners who lose their jobs and are not able to quickly find another job with comparable pay they will not build real wealth. Especially with kids.

You sound like a real go-getter. Not everyone will win like you.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:49 PM   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
That's bull. Here's a link: Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many Recent College Graduates Have Found Employment

What I said is that 20 years ago most college grads were finding good paying jobs. In the 90s. You could pay down a student loan type wages.

But Now a large number of college grads are only landing a job at Starbucks or Target. These are low income jobs that high school grads can also get.

Most of the new jobs being created are lower income type service jobs so I don't see why this is such a surprise.

So if the avg. wage is around $20hr for college grads. That would seem to put millions of college grads in a pretty low wage demographic.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:22 PM   #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
But there's another (more likely IMO) explanation. Since BMW's are seen as status symbols, some status seeking jerks will buy them if they can scrape up the money for a lease. These same people would be jerks if they didn't have the BMW.

And to be clear, I'm saying jerks may be attracted to BMWs, not that people who drive BMWs are jerks in general.

-ERD50
What I don't get is why all these BMWs don't come with working blinkers
Old 09-17-2014, 12:57 AM   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnIntentionalRoad View Post
There is a certain level of wealth where when you rise above it, you are no longer thinking about how you might be able to spend it all before you die. It just becomes a way of keeping score.
It might not be possible for me to spend that level of wealth before I died, but I'd damn sure give it my best shot.

Yes, Mr. Lamborghini salesman, I'll take TWO of those gold plated Aventadors, and throw in one for yourself, too!
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote