Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i don't see real estate improving in the next two years, or even five, so i'm selling low on the inherited house & if i decide to keep mine, that will be in conjunction with starting a new career. i might add a bath & some extra space to this house (probably can build for about $100-150/sf & sell for $200-230/sf) and bring in two cute boarders ($15k+/yr income) or there's a smaller house on a bigger piece of property nearby. who knows. maybe i'll trade houses, raise another wolf puppy & plant another garden. knowing me, once i get into something, especially a new job, if i like it, i'm there for 10 years to life.

i'm signing up in january to take classes to get a substitute teaching certificate. also a friend has invited me to observe in her classroom for a day. if i like the work, i'll either go back to school for a few semesters (i think 3) for teacher certification or i might just have to take an exam. no biggie either way.

never really did get into this early retirement thang. was fun for a short while & it served its purpose. i think it's great if you're into it. probably i'd love it with a partner but as a single it kind of sucks.

it was probably funnier to spell work & job with a "*" when everyone thought they were so flush in cash. but self respect might come harder when feeling ashamed of honest labor.

the more i think about teaching the more i like the idea of it. this is an amazing time in the world to discuss social studies with young minds. and it sounds like two months off in the summer would be plenty for travel. plus maybe i'll meet a handsome single dad at a pta meeting. maybe he'll ask me to chuck the job, sell the house & take off to live cheap in thailand or just sail around the world. stranger things have happened.

ps, was that really you? not bad. you should have worked on your chest. still, i might have hit on that. but, um, yikes, what the hell happened? looks to me like the dreaded lazyass early retirement syndrome.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
I thought about doing some part time gigolo work again, but my med's and father time have made me unemployable.

I do not think so . There are a ton of wealthy Florida widows who would love your services . In fact I'll be your agent for 20% . I'm starting tonight by putting a flier on the local condo bulletin boards so get ready to make money.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:45 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Confession time. The market decline and hit to my portfolio has forced me to consider doing something I hoped I would never have to resort to again - w*rking for monetary compensation. Yes, I'm unhappy and ashamed to even consider resorting to such drastic measures, but that's life.

In an effort to save face, I'm trying to come up with some sort of a business idea and be my own boss. I've been looking at a franchise opportunity that may be uniquely suited to my location, talents and mindset. What do you think?

Just don't make waves.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Where are the profanity police?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:10 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Be very careful there, REW, it’s a crapshoot out there.

I thought I would combine cleaning out the bookcase with a new career and have more or less landed in jail. It’s a 90 day sentence and I’ve got about 80 days to go. I put 65 items on Amazon.com for sale. First day four items sold, the second two more, that along with dropping X-mas presents at the post office is wearing me out. Wrap and go to the post office, wrap and go to the post office, rinse, repeat...

New hobby is checking out post offices in different neighborhoods. Chinatown has the shortest lines but they keep the boxes and supplies behind the counter whereas the other post offices keep them near the entrance where you can grab a box, some bubble wrap and seal it up before getting in line. So far I’ve netted $59.00.

REW, working your ranch would be a promotion, do you supply boots for partners?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #26
Administrator

They say the pay is crap, but the perks are bovine.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:48 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post

REW, working your ranch would be a promotion, do you supply boots for partners?
Nope. It's strictly a BYOB affair.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
They say the pay is crap, but the perks are bovine.
MBoooo...
Old 12-16-2008, 05:51 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Is that what they mean when they say retirement is like a 3-legged stool?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:53 PM   #30

early retirement is sooo 2000&5.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:59 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

i'll be your first customer.
please deliver
"all the sh** you can fit"
[hmmm...i think i just coined a jingle for DSCC]
in a gas guzzling pickup truck to East Nowhere, NY, just in time for spring planting.
frost free nights happen here just about May 31.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
... that along with dropping X-mas presents at the post office is wearing me out. Wrap and go to the post office, wrap and go to the post office, rinse, repeat...
New hobby is checking out post offices in different neighborhoods. Chinatown has the shortest lines but they keep the boxes and supplies behind the counter whereas the other post offices keep them near the entrance where you can grab a box, some bubble wrap and seal it up before getting in line. So far I’ve netted $59.00.
Does USPS.com allow you to schedule package pickups in your area by the mail carrier at your house?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Does USPS.com allow you to schedule package pickups in your area by the mail carrier at your house?
Of course they do; but I'm pretending this j*b is just something I do on the way to ER adventures. Today I dropped in on the "lunchtime concert" series. Really good Renaissance choral singing. Rarely had time to do that while gainfully employed. Have to check google to find the location of post offices near the beach.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
i'll be your first customer.
please deliver
"all the sh** you can fit"
[hmmm...i think i just coined a jingle for DSCC]
in a gas guzzling pickup truck to East Nowhere, NY, just in time for spring planting.
frost free nights happen here just about May 31.
If I don't get a govt. bailout, I may not make it past the end of the year. Would you mind pre-paying for a load?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If I don't get a govt. bailout, I may not make it past the end of the year. Would you mind pre-paying for a load?
not as long as you pay me royalties for your new jingle.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #36

Quote:
not as long as you pay me royalties for your new jingle.
Done.

BTW, some people think your jingle is crappy, but not me.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Done.

BTW, some people think your jingle is crappy, but not me.
it was born of the purest manure i can fling around.
the dairy cows down the road (1/4 mile) are my most faithful supply chain.
ever see sh** on fresh snow? the view will bring tears to your eyes.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #38

Quote:
ever see sh** on fresh snow? the view will bring tears to your eyes.
We're still talking cows here, right?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We're still talking cows here, right?
well, yeah.
fresh brown sh** on fresh white snow is something i see a lot of. once the ground freezes hard, the local dairy boyz get the honey wagon out and spread the wealth, approximately 1/4 mile from my abode.
what were you talkin' about?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #40

Quote:
Confession time. The market decline and hit to my portfolio has forced me to consider doing something I hoped I would never have to resort to again - w*rking for monetary compensation. Yes, I'm unhappy and ashamed to even consider resorting to such drastic measures, but that's life.

In an effort to save face, I'm trying to come up with some sort of a business idea and be my own boss. I've been looking at a franchise opportunity that may be uniquely suited to my location, talents and mindset. What do you think?

I looked on entrepreneur.com's franchise listing, but I couldn't find a Deep Sh!t franchise of any kind. Is it in the cleaning business?

Seriously though, what's so bad with work? It keeps your mind engaged. I have had several hobbies, and frankly, without work, a deadline, a test, or other people's expectations, it was hard for me to finish the hobbies at the first sign of trouble because I kept thinking, "Why am I hitting myself over the head with this hammer? Oh, my hands work, and I can stop!"
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote