Join Early Retirement Today

Backdoor Roth
Old 11-16-2017, 05:45 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Backdoor Roth

I received some bad advise from a financial advisor on how to convert from a traditional to a Roth IRA. I understand the process now. Specifically, the part I failed to do was to transfer all of my traditional ira funds (deductible and non deductible) to a company 401k first. The advise I received was make a non deductible contribution to a traditional ira and then convert to a Roth without tax consequences. But because I still have funds in the traditional ira, I have to pay taxes on the prorated amount. So the question to those familiar with this situation, how can I correct the past. Can I do anything that will allow me not to have to pay taxes on the prorated amount since I have already done the conversion?
USMCAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2017, 06:16 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Check if you can re-characterize.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
Check if you can re-characterize.
+1
It could be worse, you could have roth converted the entire TIRA. I hope you have documentation of the tax basis of all your TIRAs.
When did you do the conversion and for what tax year did you declare the TIRA contribution?
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:03 AM   #4

Thanks. What’s the best resource to determine if I qualify to re characterize?
Old 11-16-2017, 07:24 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

See IRS publication 590 for IRA rules.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCAG View Post
Thanks. What’s the best resource to determine if I qualify to re characterize?
from link

Quote:
The process of reversing a Roth IRA conversion is known as recharacterization. It needs to be completed by the last date, including extensions, for filing or refiling prior-year tax return, which is typically on or about October 15. All or a portion of what was converted can generally be recharacterized. And assets that are recharacterized to a traditional IRA can be reconverted to a Roth IRA in the next tax year after the conversion or 30 days after the recharacterization, whichever is later.
Back to my previous question.. when did you do the conversion and what tax year did you indicate it was for? Part of the year you can choose which year contributions (and I assume conversions) are assigned.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #7

The when I think is the problem. I’ve done it for the last 3 filing years. My cpa didn’t catch it (he’s fired now) and the advise from my financial advisor was bogus.

It sounds like it may be too late. Since we are post Oct 15 th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
from link

Back to my previous question.. when did you do the conversion and what tax year did you indicate it was for? Part of the year you can choose which year contributions (and I assume conversions) are assigned.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #8

Quote:
................ Specifically, the part I failed to do was to transfer all of my traditional ira funds (deductible and non deductible) to a company 401k first. ............................
You can NOT transfer NON-deductible funds to company 401K. If they agree,
you could transfer the deductible part . If you can do that (are your 8606s accurate and up to date), for the future it would be best to move that deductible part to 401K.....it might take some time so start soon ......might take a month or more.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:28 AM   #9

Would my financial advisor or the brokerage service know the break down of deductible vs non deductible ira contributions? I suspect they would not but if I have not kept up with it, then my assumption is there is no record. This is a last ditch effort on my part to fix this. I do plan to ask my FA but wanted to get the forums input.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Would my financial advisor or the brokerage service know the break down of deductible vs non deductible ira contributions? I suspect they would not but if I have not kept up with it, then my assumption is there is no record. This is a last ditch effort on my part to fix this. I do plan to ask my FA but wanted to get the forums input.
Your broker does not know whether any specific contribution you made to a tIRA was deducted on your tax return or not. However, they did give you a form 5498 for every year that you made a contribution, and those old forms may be available online or they may be stored with your past tax returns. You were also supposed to file form 8606 with your taxes in every year when you made a non-deductible contribution.

If you did file form 8606, then you just need to refer to your tax return for the last year that you made a non-deductible contribution and your basis will be there.

If you did not file form 8606, then you should get your past 5498s from the broker or your tax files and file an 8606 now.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote