Backdoor Roth Mistake?

Misterfun

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello,

I jumped on the backdoor Roth wagon a little too quickly and made a mistake. I didn't realize that my Rollover IRA would cause a tax issue. Is it possible to fix this?

I have a Rollover IRA with $113k
I opened a Traditional IRA with $5k and converted the funds to a Roth IRA a few days later.

I just did this a few days ago. If I rollover my Rollover IRA to my current TSP would this avoid any tax issues at the end of the year?

Is the traditional IRA that you converted to a Roth separate from the rollover IRA? If so, as long as you are allowed to roll that $113K into TSP I don't see where the problem is, that should be an account transfer with no tax consequences. What am I missing?

That's correct they're separate and there would be no tax consequences in transferring the rollover IRA to my TSP. Just wanted to make sure the pro-rata issue is only calculated on IRA balances at the end of the year --- which if I rollover would be 0$.

I believe there is some % rule that you have to take consideration of all your IRA accounts. You can't just say I am going to convert this $5k that has had no earnings you have to say that $5k is 5% of your $100k IRA total and then get taxed on 5% of your earnings or something to that effect.
I am by no means an expert, as you can tell from that above jumbled paragraph, but someone who is more eloquent will probably be by and explain it better.

Worst case is you pay taxes on most of that $5k on your 2012 tax return. At least nothing you have to go back and file a 1040x for.

I'd read the IRS instructions very carefully to see if you can retroactively make the rollover IRA disappear. There always seems to be a rule about things like that.

Back
Top Bottom