Join Early Retirement Today

Backdoor Roth Question(s)
Old 09-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Backdoor Roth Question(s)

I have been thinking about trying to do a backdoor Roth conversion for a while. I've read several very good articles on the mechanics and pitfalls (http://www.kitces.com/blog/how-to-do...tion-doctrine/
and here www.physicianonfire.com/backdoor/).

But I am still left with some questions.

First, a question about aggregation of IRAs. I don't have any IRAs, but I do contribute the maximum to the tax-deductible TSP. If I were to contribute to a non-deductible traditional IRA, is my TSP considered a 401(k) or is it considered an IRA and I would then face aggregation of the accounts during a backdoor conversion? I *think* since the TSP is an employer retirement account it would not fall into the IRA aggregation rule (per Kites link), but I just want to be sure.

Second, I use T. Rowe Price for my investing. Looking on their website for opening an IRA, there is no option to open a "Non-deductible Traditional IRA". For anyone who has done this, do I just open a traditional IRA and it is automatically non-deductible b/c I'll be maxing out my TSP? Or is it non-deductible because I'll be reporting it that way on Form 8606? I'm just confused when I read articles and they make references about contributions to their "non-deductible IRAs" like it's an option they can select through their investor's website.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

First, a TSP is not an IRA.

Second, you just open a traditional IRA and make non-deductible contributions to it. Your IRA custodian doesn't care and doesn't need to know whether your contributions are deductible or non-deductible - you're supposed to keep track of that yourself.

Some people, including me, open two different traditional IRAs if they're planning to make deductible and non-deductible IRA contributions because we think it's easier to keep track of what's going on if the contributions are segregated by account.

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:35 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Got it. Appreciate the clarification.