Join Early Retirement Today

Bailout bill fails
Old 09-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Bailout bill fails

The house failed to pass the bailout package. Fun times on wall street.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Still kicking myself for ignoring the voice in my head to sell everything last Halloween.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The house failed to pass the bailout package. Fun times on wall street.
Fun times for our portfolio. I wonder how we can find out who voted yea or nay? I'm interested how my state congressmen voted.

I have voted pretty much republican all my life, but this does for me.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This should be interesting.
I see Coca Cola is up right now!
Old 09-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Unbelievable. Self-serving politicians on parade. Mattress is looking better and better.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Fun times for our portfolio. I wonder how we can find out who voted yea or nay? I'm interested how my state congressmen voted.

I have voted pretty much republican all my life, but this does for me.
Not wanting to put this in the soap box, but I understand 94 Democrats voted against it as well, so it's hardly like one party can be blamed for it all.

I never really wanted to retire anyway.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 09-29-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, we've still got our health and oil is down sharply today!
Old 09-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Not wanting to put this in the soap box, but I understand 94 Democrats voted against it as well, so it's hardly like one party can be blamed for it all.

I never really wanted to retire anyway.
Good thing. Oh yes, 2 for 1 against on the republican side.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I see Coca Cola is up right now!
Well that didn't last long...
Old 09-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good thing. Oh yes, 2 for 1 against on the republican side.
Apparently the House GOP members got their undies in a bundle when the Senate tried to push their buttons.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #11

Quote:
I wonder how we can find out who voted yea or nay? I'm interested how my state congressmen voted.
You can go to the House of Representatives website....but I think everyone must be having the same idea.......I tried to go there and all I get is a blank white page. Maybe their servers blew up from the overload of inquirers.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just returned from the bank with some $$$'s ~ just in case!!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I'm watching CNN and one of the Republican reps just said Pelosi put a Democratic spin on the bill when she introduced it this afternoon and that sent some of the Republicans into the "nay" camp. Cantor (R, deputy minority whip) is blasting Pelosi for her speech. They all need to put on their big boy and big girl pants and vote for what's best for the US and not for their party.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I'm watching CNN and one of the Republican reps just said Pelosi put a Democratic spin on the bill when she introduced it this afternoon and that sent some of the Republicans into the "nay" camp. Cantor (R, deputy minority whip) is blasting Pelosi for her speech. They all need to put on their big boy and big girl pants and vote for what's best for the US and not for their party.
Just more proof that Democrats and Republicans both suck, and that either side claiming to be "better" than the other is a joke.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess I am the only one here who is happy about the outcome. It will hurt for the short term, but in the long term, it is best to let te market sort itself out. I still have faith in Capitalism.
camberiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #16

Do not fear, within a few days after this flexing of muscles by the minority party, a deal will pass, and the misplaced faith that the government can sove our ills will be restored, with the temporary uplift in the stock market.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Just more proof that Democrats and Republicans both suck, and that either side claiming to be "better" than the other is a joke.
I agree 100%. I don't trust any of the SOB's.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camberiu View Post
I guess I am the only one here who is happy about the outcome. It will hurt for the short term, but in the long term, it is best to let te market short itself out. I still have faith in Capitalism.
I'd like to think that. But right now it feels like the choices are to run through a wall of fire (do the bailout) or plunge into a vat of acid (do nothing).

I'd like to play the "good free market capitalist" card but when these Wall Street clowns have the potential to ruin millions of innocent people when they ruin themselves, I don't think "let 'em go under" is necessarily appropriate.

If anything else, it ought to give us cause to reconsider whether a business should be able to become "too big to fail" because of the hurt its failure would put on a lot of innocent parties.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #19

Quote:
I agree 100%. I don't trust any of the SOB's.
I remember a sticker that I once saw somewhere (don't recall where) that said "TRUST NO ONE.....& Politicians Even Less".
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:50 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
You can go to the House of Representatives website....but I think everyone must be having the same idea.......I tried to go there and all I get is a blank white page. Maybe their servers blew up from the overload of inquirers.
I tried too, but no luck. My congressman is retiring so he doesn't give a rip what any of us think anyway. Oh well, back to working on my bomb shelter.