Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Bailout bill passes House 263/171
Old 10-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Bailout bill passes House 263/171

The second time was the charm/curse. Now what?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Run to Walgreens and buy some Vaseline?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

well, there goes the 15% income tax bracket.
or the money printing presses will be cranked up.

actually, i have no idea. i just needed a quick rant opportunity.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

And here come the sellers, right on cue...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 10-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

so why isn't it up more? :confused:

Tempesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #6

Buy on the rumor, sell on the news...
Old 10-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Will Bush sign it?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempesta View Post
so why isn't it up more? :confused:

we'll see by the end of the day, but looking at the daily and 5 day chart it looked like some technical sell programs probably got tripped or day traders sold off because some technical signals said sell
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Will Bush sign it?
Absolutely. He'll sign it today if they get it to him in time.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Great! Now all of our problems are solved! The stock market will only go up from here, right?
CompoundInterestFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

If it puts us back into 2003-2006 bull market days, that would make me very happy. Now we will found out whether or not we were being sold a bill of goods, and if so, how greatly we were duped.

When I was little, sometimes my big brothers would tie me to a chair, dance around me, and play that they were Indians burning me at the stake. (I am not quite sure how Joan of Arc got entangled into their cowboy-and-Indian play.) Anyway, somehow the feeling here is eerily similar... total lack of control or any say in the matter.

Just waiting and watching.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The second time was the charm/curse. Now what?
Warren Buffett's going to lead both houses of Congress in a rousing rendition of "Happy Days Are Here Again"...

... and all the campaigning senators (and governors) are going to proclaim that the bailout package only passed on their personal intervention.

In a seemingly unrelated coincidence, today I'm going to listen to a medical startup company give a presentation on how to treat heart attacks and coronary blockages.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:35 PM   #13

I'm not looking for the market to go up on this. Well, not today anyway. Wasn't the whole reason for the...bailout, rescue...whatever we're calling it now, wasn't the whole reason for it to stave off economic disaster? I'm thinking I want to see how well the credit markets react before I go all crazy and start buying stuff.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

A great example of how the media pretends there's a reason for the ups and downs of the stock market:

CBSNews.com headline:

Stock chart:

stockchart.jpg
Old 10-03-2008, 12:57 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
A great example of how the media pretends there's a reason for the ups and downs of the stock market
Note to the readers that the bill's passage is right where the cliff begins to drop straight down on the above chart.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Good thing they passed this sucker and stabilized Wall Street. The Dow could have dropped 400 points in less than three hours without the bailout package; it's been quite good at doing that without any help lately...
Old 10-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #17

Makes you wonder what the Dow would have done had the bill failed. Let's see, last time that happened it dropped 778 points. This time it might have climbed back to 14,000, the markets being rational...
Old 10-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
When I was little, sometimes my big brothers would tie me to a chair, dance around me, and play that they were Indians burning me at the stake. (I am not quite sure how Joan of Arc got entangled into their cowboy-and-Indian play.) Anyway, somehow the feeling here is eerily similar... total lack of control or any say in the matter.
Hey, at least you got to play.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Hey, at least you got to play.
That's true! And with the bail-out, at least I get to watch. They could have done all of this behind our backs, claiming national security interests, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Warren Buffett's going to lead both houses of Congress in a rousing rendition of "Happy Days Are Here Again"...
I can hardly wait to join in the festitivities.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Am I right in assuming that the $2,300/person doesn't apply to me? That is, for the next 4-5 years I'll be paying little or no taxes, and after that, they should be pretty low.