Bank Accounts - How Many Do You Have?

1 Checking and savings account at a credit union that is convenient to my former work location, where my paycheck and now pension were deposited. Currently we do very little face-to-face work there due to its distance from home. But they are on a free ATM network that has ATMs very convenient to our home.

1 Checking account at a local neighborhood bank, primarily used for DW's "don't ask, don't tell" account, and connected to 2 of our sons account for convenience in exchanging money with them. We also do our "face-to-face" activities (safe deposit box, notary, etc>) at this bank.

2 Online savings account at two different institutions, for FDIC insurance purposes.

all accounts are linked to make it easy to transfer money among them as needed.

This does not include MMs at our mutual fund institutions, which are primary there as an added convenience when deciding to shift money, and in some cases for better non-FDIC insured MM rates.

About 11 - several banks/Credit Unions for CDs

3 Credit Unions
7 banks -- 3 online / 2 Large / 2 Regional
2 Brokerages

We currently have several bank accounts that we no longer need (legacies of mortgages and investments past). While I am tempted to close them in an effort to simplify our financial lives, given how painful it is to open a new bank account (especially for a company), we've gone the other way and decided to keep them all.

Back
Top Bottom