Join Early Retirement Today

Banks are a financial disaster
Old 07-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Banks are a financial disaster

Banks Are A Financial Disaster For Both Shareholders And Depositors | Problem Bank List

Quote:
Many really unlucky people have seen the value of their investments in bank stocks completely wiped out as in the case of Washington Mutual’s collapse in which shareholders collectively lost over $41 billion. Additional countless billions of dollars of America’s middle class wealth has been vaporized by the failure of 453 banks since 2008.

How many retirement plans of hard working Americans have been disrupted by bank failures and zero interest rates is a question given little consideration even as the Federal Reserve and the Government have bailed out the banking industry with trillions of tax payers dollars. Meanwhile, savers have been robbed of interest on their savings via the financial repression of the Federal Reserve.
Some you know... more you may not know... The interesting part, is the eyes to the future.

Don't read the links in the article... too depressing.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Buy Canadian banks.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I would guess this article would go hand in hand with this news...

Former Citigroup chief Sandy Weill got the market’s attention this week when he told CNBC that he believes big banks should be broken up.

Weill’s comments Wednesday came as a major reversal from an executive who famously played a crucial role in shattering the Glass-Steagall as he combined Travelers and Citibank into a financial behemoth.

The about-face from Weill was met with criticism in many quarters, even from some who have advocated for bank breakups in the past.

Sandy Weill's Bank Breakup Call: Years Late And Billions Short - Forbes
Old 07-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Preachin' to the choir. Worked in banks, invested in them too. Been there done that. No more baby.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Banks Are A Financial Disaster For Both Shareholders And Depositors | Problem Bank List

Some you know... more you may not know... The interesting part, is the eyes to the future.

Don't read the links in the article... too depressing.
I agree.

Nobody's ever lost a dime in a Fixed Index Annuity that didn't surrender early. AAA Munis are another very safe place, though the rates are too low for most interest levels.
KRobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

People often forget that the ecomomic mess we find ourselves in was in a good part a result of irresponsiblity on the part of some major financial instututions as well as many smaller ones. Many people lost money and their jobs. Governments have seen tax revenues go down due to decreased business activity. It's easy to blame others and forget who caused this mess in the first place.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

News alert - some stock investments are losers!

While 453 banks mentioned in the OP sounds like a lot, there were 8,305 FDIC insured banks at the end of 2008 and 7,357 at the end of 2011, so the industry is clearly consolidating.

Perhaps the title should be banks were a financial disaster. Banks are much stronger today than in 2008. The total tier 1 risk-based capital of FDIC insured banks was $1.3 trillion at the end of 2011 versus $1.0 trillion at the end of 2008.

http://www2.fdic.gov/SDI/SOB/
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
Administrator

I'm surprised people can sleep at night with so much to worry about.

Yawn.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'll research problembanklist.com right after

mortgagedfutures.com (same people),
Worldengines Ventures llc (same people & former Director at Morgan Stanley),
legislatorswhoforcedsubprimelending.com, wildlyoverleveragedhomeownerswhoshouldaknownbetter .com,
ratingsagencyasleepatthewheel.com,
tinfoilhat.com and the others.

Feel better now?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote