Join Early Retirement Today

Barkley Funds Question
Old 10-12-2020, 06:01 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Barkley Funds Question

I just retired in April. Talking to an investor about moving my 401 from the company I worked for. He is talking about Barkley Trail Blazer 5 index fund.
Does anyone know anything about this find?
Gary Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2020, 06:18 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lynn View Post
I just retired in April. Talking to an investor about moving my 401 from the company I worked for. He is talking about Barkley Trail Blazer 5 index fund.
This is probably a question for a separate thread. I don't know anything about the fund, never heard of it before now. Looks like a proprietary index fund maybe only used within an annuity. Only 4 yrs track record. I don't care for proprietary indices.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:43 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

+1 Not much out there on it and it does seem to be designed for an annuity. I would avoid it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:46 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
A 0.85% expense ratio for performance that has been significantly worse than the S&P 500 index? Their 10-year average return is only about half that of the index, 5.44% vs 10.75%. No thank you! I'd dump that advisor, too. My Fidelity index fund, FXAIX, has an expense ratio of 0.01%.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #5
Administrator

This was broken off into a separate thread to allow more visibility
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Find a different advisor. This one is trying to feather his own nest with your money.

Edit: @Gary Lynn, please do a little reading. It will reduce your vulnerability to predators.

My favorite is this little book: "The Coffee House Investor" by Bill Schultheis https://www.coffeehouseinvestor.com/ Schultheis is very low key, to the point of giving you a recipe for pumpkin pie.

For a little meatier reading: "The Bogleheads Guide to Investing" by Taylor Larimore et al https://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Gu.../dp/0470067365 and/or (online) https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

The joke around here is that if you know enough to select a good advisor, you no longer need an advisor. True or not, you can decide, but you can't just blindly trust without significant risk to your financial health.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:17 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Your first post reads like an advertisement for a proprietary find. You may want to introduce yourself and explain what investor you talked to about the fund. Thank you.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:04 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

And hopefully it's Barclay's, not Barkley. No idea who or what the heck Barkley is.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:45 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
And hopefully it's Barclay's, not Barkley. No idea who or what the heck Barkley is.
So far it looks like a post-and-run, since the OP hasn't been active since writing this post. But it's only been 2 days.

You'd think the OP was a shill for the company they'd have spelled it correctly.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:36 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
So far it looks like a post-and-run, since the OP hasn't been active since writing this post. But it's only been 2 days.

You'd think the OP was a shill for the company they'd have spelled it correctly.
Yeah, and I'd also think a shill would not use their actual name, but I did assume the poster was legit.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

There's a lot of fraud on the internet. Who'd have thunk it?

I don't think accurate spelling of the fund name matters much anymore, as searches are very "fuzzy" and will get you there all the same.

The irony is that as more and more post responses of any kind accumulate, it raises the visibility of the investment.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:23 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
There's a lot of fraud on the internet. Who'd have thunk it?

I don't think accurate spelling of the fund name matters much anymore, as searches are very "fuzzy" and will get you there all the same.

The irony is that as more and more post responses of any kind accumulate, it raises the visibility of the investment.

I disagree. While spelling is not critical because a search engine will likely find the correct entity, there scam sites that take advantage of misspells and typos to redirect.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:28 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I disagree. While spelling is not critical because a search engine will likely find the correct entity, there scam sites that take advantage of misspells and typos to redirect.
But those sites do not appear in search results AFAIK and see. If they do for you then your web browser protection kicks in.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
But those sites do not appear in search results AFAIK and see. If they do for you then your web browser protection kicks in.

I dunno. Maybe I need to beef up my browser security. Here’s what I got...

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...ys-bank/n12670
Old 10-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The Barkleys? Surely you jest.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I dunno. Maybe I need to beef up my browser security. Here’s what I got...

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...ys-bank/n12670
I select text in the original post, and right click to search with Google. Get the following, and every hit on first page is relevant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (102.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-17-2020, 07:27 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Yeah we did that exercise in post #2 and commented. Now we’re just tryin to have a laugh.