Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Barron's article: America for Sale: Price Reduced
Old 10-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Barron's article: America for Sale: Price Reduced

This, I felt, was an interesting article; however, if you scroll down the page there is a table ("Everything must go") that I cannot get up on my computer.
Can someone pull that puppy and post it for the rest of us? It should list 25 stocks that Barron's recommends. Frustrating!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Looks like it's for subscribers only
tgotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #3

B__tards! I guess I will have to dig up a copy somewhere. Big disadvantage to living in a small area is none of the access to exotic foods (here casserole is exotic) or wonderful publications. You have no idea how fast my car will zoom out of this podunk area when I am thru with my duties here. Guess I'm a big city kinda gal.
Thanks for trying, anyway. Anyone else can do it
Old 10-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #4

Is this it? America For Sale: Price Reduced « NaAtMaD - News and Articles that Make a Difference
Old 10-12-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Barron's is free at my library. See if your library has it if you just want to see that article.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

That's the article, but it is the "table" the OP wanted.
tgotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #7

Opps.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I did not get the table but all the stocks are mentioned or listed in this article from seekingalpha.

2fer

Bargain Buys For Patient Investors - Barron's

by: SA Editor Rachael Granby October 12, 2008 | about stocks: AAPL / BRCM / CAT / CMI / DE / DELL / EBAY / ERTS / HON / IACI / INTC / ITW / KBR / L / MOT / MSFT / NOVL / NTE / NVDA / PCAR / RNWK / TEX / UTX / XOM / YHOO

SA Editor
Rachael Granby

Add to Your WatchlistAbout this author:
Become a Contributor Submit an Article

The credit crisis has shifted emphasis back to the importance of a strong balance sheet, something many investors willfully forgot about during the bull market through 2007. Those same investors, who once urged CEOs to take on debt to buy back stock, are now focused on upcoming debt maturities and refinancing fears. With the markets taking a bruising and most major stocks now valued at less than 10 times estimated 2008 earnings, this could be a historical opportunity to buy stocks at bargain-basement prices and wait for a recovery. Barron's Andrew Bary highlights twenty-five cash-rich companies that patient investors can pick up on sale.

Exxon Mobil (XOM) leads the cash race with $30B, Corporate America's largest cash hoard. At $62, it trades at just seven times projected 2008 earnings market value. The firm may shift some of its cash from a stock buyback program to an acquisition, as some independent energy firms face debt refinancing troubles.
Smaller companies may have less cash on hand in real terms, but their holdings make up a greater percentage of their market values. IAC/InterActiveCorp (IACI) and KBR (KBR), for example, both have cash holdings that account for over half their market values.
Once criticized as overly conservative for holding too much cash, several tech leaders are now seeing those cash holdings pay off. Apple (AAPL) and Dell (DELL) have cash equal to over 25% of their market values. Motorola (MOT) and Electronic Arts (ERTS) have cash positions worth 30% of their market values. Yahoo (YHOO) has around $2/share in cash and another $3/share in investments.
Microsoft (MSFT) has a strong balance sheet with $23B in cash and another $6B of equity investments. It also has a monopoly software business and a P/E of just over 10, the lowest in its history. Microsoft may miss its FY 2009 earnings target, but trading at $21.50, one could argue that a miss is already reflected in the stock price.
Industrial stocks have been hurt lately as investors worry about domestic recession and a drop in global demand, leading to P/E ratios at their lowest levels in years. Caterpillar (CAT) trades at just seven times 2008 estimated earnings, United Technologies (UTX) trades at less than ten times earnings, and Deere (DE) at eight times earnings. Citigroup analyst David Raso set a price target of $65 for Deere (currently at $38) and $72 for Caterpillar (currently at $43).
Jim Paulsen, of Wells Capital Management, succinctly said "assets are being given away." He added, "they may not do well in the next several months, but looking ahead two or three years, investors may see some of the best opportunities of their lives."
  • The rest of the list: L, NTE, TEX, PCAR, INTC, EBAY, NVDA, BRCM, NOVL, RNWK, CMI, HON, ITW
Old 10-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here are the 25 stocks listed:
xom
msft
aapl
intc
dell
ebay
mot
yhoo
erts
l
nvda
brcm
novl
iaci
kbr
rnwk
nte
cat
cmi
de
hon
itw
pcar
tex
utx
This issue of Barron's was very divided. Depending on which article you read, you should either be a buyer now or be on the sidelines and wait it out. I guess this reflects the investment community as a whole. They haven't got a clue as to what's going to happen.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote