Been Getting SS for 3 months now, having trouble spending it. How about you?

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I made a deal with DW. When we took our SS, we that we would spend it (All but 3 months to cover additional Taxes). We are having trouble spending it. We use it as disposable income. Our other income covers all our expenses and then some.

What do you do?

In our case, a lot goes to our grandkids' college funds. Also traveling a bit more.

you could contribute it to the "skyking is building a new house fund" and secure guest wing credits ;)

I made a deal with DW. When we took our SS, we that we would spend it (All but 3 months to cover additional Taxes). We are having trouble spending it. We use it as disposable income. Our other income covers all our expenses and then some.

What do you do?
Donate it to my favorite charity. Will PM you with my email and instructions if you like. :)

Donate it to my favorite charity. Will PM you with my email and instructions if you like. :)

We have that covered, when we Kark it, ALL our assets will be liquidated and split between St. Judes and The Dogs for the blind, they are our favorites. We have no children and therefore no grandkids.

I seem to recall Robin Williams saying Cocaine is Gods way of telling you that you have too much money. :LOL:

J/K. Do more of what you like, just not cocaine. :blush:

I retired at 61 and DH, who was 76, was already collecting SS. When he died in 2016, I still hadn't filed and switched to Survivor benefits. My "windfall" came last year when I filed on my own record at 69 and it nearly doubled. It's mostly gone to more charitable donations and more in the grandchildren's college funds.

Not sure what your age and health or other financial situation that perhaps affords you healthy surplus of disposable cash. While we enjoy lots of travel, it would be no problem spending more to enjoy some new travel experiences. And additionally, while we have extended some travel with us to friends who couldn't afford to do so, we'd find a way to make sure they also enjoyed a new experience with us. But then we obviously enjoy travel and plan to do so until we find we no longer can. [emoji41]

Last edited:
We have that covered, when we Kark it, ALL our assets will be liquidated and split between St. Judes and The Dogs for the blind, they are our favorites. We have no children and therefore no grandkids.
Ya might go back and re-read what CarGuy was saying. [emoji39]

Save it up and use it to make a meaningful difference in somebody's life. The single mom down the street has an unexpected $1000 car repair bill she can't afford, pay it for her. You get the idea.

Or do what one guy did. Every day he bought a few dozen doughnuts, then wandered out to the center of his town and gave one to anybody who wanted one. IIRC, he also had a good time making good conversation with people he never knew before.

I send it to Vanguard, just extra income I don't need and probably won't ever spend. Frugality is a hard habit to break.

IIRC, you are into cars. Get a somewhat exotic car.

Go out to eat, at costlier places, more often. Go buy a(nother) new car. Remodel something on your house. Make a big donation to charity. Take a vacation to somewhere you wouldn't normally go.

We don't have pensions. We have withdrawals from IRAs and SS. SS spending comes first so we always spend 100% of it and then we do IRA withdrawals for what else we need (annualized). Having SS means hat I need to withdraw less from our IRAs which suits us.

I singed up for it at 63 immediately after the heart attack. I will be 66 shortly.

Thus far I have banked every check. I guess I'm that "Man Who Has Everything" they say is so hard to shop for.

No siblings or cousins? Your money to do with as you please but I would always start with family. That is if there is anything left. Try to not have anything left. Upgrade the car, go on nicer trips, eat out more....

Remodel something on your house.

I do a lot of this. House is 28 years old and I’ve replaced most of the windows, added plantation shutters, put quartz countertops in the kitchen, and enclosed the back screened -in porch overlooking the lake. Nothing out of line with the neighborhood or likely to go out of style in the near future.

Next up: tear out the jacuzzi and shower and update that space. Before I move (no idea when), I’ll replace the dingy carpet in the MBR with wood flooring.

All done on a cash-available basis.

No siblings or cousins? Your money to do with as you please but I would always start with family. That is if there is anything left. Try to not have anything left. Upgrade the car, go on nicer trips, eat out more....

Nope, none that I would want to give money too, the ones I would have, have all karked it.

We have updated some of our appliances and I did buy a new laptop + some other stuff, as mentioned in the BTD thread.

If I was so fortunate to have income sources exceeding ways I could think of to spend it, I'd find ways during my lifetime to help family or worthy local people and organizations in need.

Sharing my good fortune by using my excess income during my lifetime to do good for others would give me far greater pleasure than any self-indulgent ideas I'd come up with.

YMMV

Have a monthly massage. I think it helps keep your body healthy and it’s also enjoyable.
Hire out services, housekeeper, lawn men , etc.
Eat out more frequently at better quality restaurants, tip well (if merited) . Gives you/spouse more free time.
Vacation, travel 1st class.
So much to see in our world and so little time!
Books, buy and donate to underprivileged. The gift of education is the best pay it forward gift.
Cheers to your success.

Back
Top Bottom