Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-29-2016, 07:43 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't trust anybody.

I believe anyone until proven guilty. You get the benefit of "reasonable doubt"

Folks here make me think I'm stupid for using a "wealth manager" and he's making me lots of dough.

I gave him more dough after he beat the other guys. I give people a try and then hire the best.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

I try to always remember that indexing could not work were it not for the effort of active traders (who keep the market efficient and assure that assets are more fairly valued). Yes, they pay higher costs and, overall, have worse performance than more passive index investors, but it's a sacrifice they make that benefits me and others, so I appreciate it (whatever their motivation).
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

To the OP, you have to be frugal to save, and you have to save to have something to invest.
With my career most of my investing was done during "The Lost Decade" of 2000 to 2010, so most of the money is from Savings with a nice bump from 2009 to now.

As for the John Bogle spinoff thread.... While I admire what Bogle did building Vangaurd and Index funds in general, along with his social commentary, I don't think his crystal ball is better than anyone else's. I personally think (hope) his forecasted 3% real over the next ten years is too conservative, but if he's right I'll still be fine, like most of us here.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
As for the John Bogle spinoff thread.... While I admire what Bogle did building Vangaurd and Index funds in general, along with his social commentary, I don't think his crystal ball is better than anyone else's. I personally think (hope) his forecasted 3% real over the next ten years is too conservative, but if he's right I'll still be fine, like most of us here.
I'm just curious where you are seeing a 3% real return forecast from John Bogle? Most of what I've read has him saying "investors may be left with nothing after adjusting for inflation". Link here:

John Bogle says you won't make much money from stocks - MarketWatch
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:37 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I'm just curious where you are seeing a 3% real return forecast from John Bogle? Most of what I've read has him saying "investors may be left with nothing after adjusting for inflation". Link here:

John Bogle says you won't make much money from stocks - MarketWatch
I think 3% real is realistic if the portfolio is aggressive enough.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:45 PM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

being frugal/saving vs investments

Not sure where I saw the 3 % real. Must have been off a link in this forum though.
This study he co authored say 6% stock, 2.4 % bond.
http://www.businessinsider.com/bogle...decade-2015-11
No inflation noted though.

Edit -
Looks like your link is newer. On some of his assumptions - I'm not paying 1% fund fee or .5% advisor fee.
If you believe in his forecast you might want to move everything to TIPS.

My main point remains: I don't think his crystals ball is clearer than anyone else's. I'm not expecting 7% real, but my crystal balls a bit cloudy too. Guess I'll try Tarot Cards next.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:26 AM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecowtent View Post
What had a bigger impact-saving/being frugal or investments - on reaching FIRE? Can you quantify or give one suggestion?
Haven't reached FI yet; in fact I have likely ~15 years ahead of me. So far, 10 years in, I'm at 77/23 (savings vs. investment returns).

My spreadsheet says this will have shifted closer to 64/36 by the time I'm FI. If I then decide to keep working and saving, it might go all the way to 40/60 by my mid-sixties.

In other words, the jury is still out on which will end up having been more important, saving or investing. I hope it'll be the latter.