Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-21-2016, 09:36 AM   #21

I was not totally honest but I did express some concerns in my exit interview with HR (mostly about how my staff were being treated by bullies in senior management with big egos and bigger expectations, and somewhat about how it was just not a fun place to work any more). My reason for retiring was officially that I wanted to spend more time with my husband who had retired on disability 4 years earlier and travel while he was still able.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska55 View Post
Lucky for the 3 of us there is a strong contracting job market for the job we perform.

[snip]

.......of course it help prior to the new manager our shop had always been in the top 2% in revenue per employee and OP.
Quite a bit of "lucky" and "it helped that" that may not be the case for the OP when challenging backbone.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:40 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And as Johnny Paycheck said:

Take this job and shove it
I ain't working here no more
My woman done left and took all the reasons
I was working for
You better not try to stand in my way
'Cause I'm walkin' out the door

I been workin' in this factory
For nigh on fifteen years
All this time I watched my woman
Drownin' in a pool of tears
And I've seen a lot of good folks die
That had a lot of bills to pay
I'd give the shirt right offa' my back
If I had the guts to say

My woman done left and took all the reasons
I was workin' for
You better not try to stand in my way
'Cause I'm walkin' out the door
I ain't workin' here no more
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #24
Administrator

I've been on both sides of this type of situation - the employee leaving, but also the executive receiving "brutally honest feedback" from departing employees. Nothing good comes from this.

Management typically writes off this feedback as "just another one who couldn't make the transition into the new way of doing things". In a perverse sort of way, it may even reassure them into thinking they are accomplishing something positive.

There is one possible downside not to be ignored. If some on the executive team are punitive, or on the prowl for people to push out, they might look toward co-workers, work friends or team members and ask "who else shares these views".
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Do you work for Wells Fargo?

Seriously, I'm not sure I'd drag myself down to her level (but I might) however I'd probably make sure her "superiors" know why I'm leaving. I think that's appropriate in an exit interview. Telling her might make you feel better but that's not likely to do anything to change her or help others.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Way to generalize...good job.

Perhaps you did indeed 'change things' but the reality is that's not the norm. I could have bitched and complained and written letters...you name it...but nothing would change, nothing. And in the world of megan corporations, one person is rarely going to say something (especially walking out the door) to bring about change.
as they say, When you have them by the ba!!$, their hearts and minds will follow" You and your associates had them where it counts. That is seldom the case, even though most of us think we do.

IMO, the OP has a tough job. Being swallowed up by a bigger company, mergered with equals (never the case inspite of the PR) etc is a difficult thing to endure for the long term. The whole dynamics of the "new" company changes. To endure, one must have the attitude of the OP's manager. She seems to have made the necessary corporate-rewarded changes. I would not have, oh wait, I didn't

As mentioned by others, there is no benefit at all to spewing your opinion to either the boss or their boss. Just quietly submit you resignation and be the "better person".
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I sent my boss an e-mail about a month after I left telling him how disappointed I'd been with his performance as a manager. Short version: unspoken expectations, didn't back me up on decisions we'd agreed on together. He never replied, of course.

The only downside, to me, was that if someone wanted me to refer them to the company my name might actually be a detriment. I'm still on cordial terms with some of my former coworkers, though, and would have no problem referring people to them directly. It was just a palce that didn't work out for me.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Rather than waste your time trying to piss off higher ups, perhaps you can think of a couple of fellow workers who could benefit from looking for a better job and need a reference from you.
Offering to them to be a reference might be enough to encourage some of them to also leave a sinking ship.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

EFT]
Read more: Johnny Paycheck - Take This Job And Shove It Lyrics | MetroLyrics
[/LEFT]
Or as Jimmy Reed put it...

Big boss man, can't you hear me when I call?
You ain't so big, you just tall, that's just about all.

You got me working boss man, a workin' around the clock,
I want a little drink of whiskey, you sure won't let me stop.

I'm gonna get me a boss man, one gonna treat me right,
I work hard in the daytime, sure get drunk at night.

Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #30

Make your last day end at noon and make sure boss sees you leave. Get someone to drive you to work that day. Hire a limousine to pick you up at work. Look on boss's face: priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:08 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

If you give your feedback to your boss.. then of course nothing will happen... she is only interested in her well being...

If there is an exit interview with HR and HR is independent, then give feedback... but then again you said it was part of the company culture now, so that will not do anything...

There is another option... just keep working and ignore your boss... I did that for over a year a couple of times when I had aholes for bosses... they did not have the power to fire me and would have to convince a higher up to do the deed... and they did not want to spend the time or effort to get rid of me since I actually did a LOT of work compared to everybody else..... sure, it hurt me in moving up the ladder, but I really did not care...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sure a lot of people here spoke up when conditions warranted while they were still working--that's backbone. To wait until you're leaving anyway? What's the point?
Old 09-21-2016, 11:22 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

+1

You already know she has no interest in what her employees think. So why would she suddenly be interested when you leave? Pearls before swine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Your words will most likely be forgotten before you get out of the parking lot. As soon as the critique starts, she will start ignoring you.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:29 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
The advice here isn't a lack of backbone, it's both common sense and experience. You're talking about venting to the bad manager, not reporting them to a superior. That MIGHT get a response, but unlikely. All you are talking about is being an asshat on your way out the door. Backbone would have been standing up to the manager on an ongoing basis. Whining and then taking your ball and going home is not a classy way to do anything.
Believe me, we (the 3 of us) let him now what he was doing was screwed up after he was settle in his job. Between the the 3 of us we had over 60 year of experience in this field. He had zero! We inform the new regional manager of what was going on early and gave them time to change. So who's a asshat
alaska55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:30 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Or as Jimmy Reed put it...
Just to be pedantic, it was David Allen Coe (Take This Job) and Luther Dixon and Al Smith (Big Boss Man). Credit where credit is due. Although nobody would know the songs without the singers.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska55 View Post
Believe me, we (the 3 of us) let him now what he was doing was screwed up after he was settle in his job. Between the the 3 of us we had over 60 year of experience in this field. He had zero! We inform the new regional manager of what was going on early and gave them time to change. So who's a asshat
Anybody who vents on the way out the door, without speaking up earlier. Just like I said.

Although I admit I crossed your post and the OP, unintentionally. The writing styles looked the same to me and I assumed it was the OP.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #37

If she's truly "terrible and shameless" then your words will achieve nothing, and you might expect to receive some back. She sounds more like a middle manager operating out of fear and doing what she can to survive - at her team's expense. Nothing extraordinary there, sadly, quite common.

So, nothing good will come of your attempt to school her. So why bother on the off chance that she is liked and respected by someone you might want to work for in the future - even a different field? Six degrees of kevin bacon, etc.

Your hostility to her is worth examining though for your own peace of mind. We've all had that boss - this one seems to have really gotten under your skin. If you're that close to RE why not just shrug it off and laugh?
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:39 AM   #38

As some of the others said, I would be honest with the HR people in the exit interview, but I wouldn't necessarily say anything to the boss. She doesn't sound like she will listen, but senior execs might get the HR feedback; and if enough people leave and are honest with them; change could happen.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I've always avoided "high drama" in the workplace. If I didn't like my job I found another one.

Eat 'em and smile -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #40

Meh, if you are going to invest in negative energy: Don't get mad, get even.

Collect written feedback of confirmed star employees having left company because of her, and deliver that to her boss. Include your own resignation. Stay calm and state that you care so much about this company you couldn't help but share the warning signs.

Engineer transfer of your fellow compadres elsewhere, help them achieve freedom from hell-boss.

Get customers served by your team to move to a competitor, have them convey the message that they switched because they don't recognize the company anymore since hell-boss entered.

That sort of thing.

So don't attack the boss directly (you'll fail), just make her an obvious business liability and let Adam Smith's hand work its magic. When she gets kicked out of the company, greet her and explain its all your doing. Bring the evil smile and your team of henchmen. With a bit of luck you'll see her cry.

Or, if you can't achieve that, redirect your energy to something positive.

Don't play her game. Because being unaffected by her actions is the ultimate revenge: That takes away her power and significance. She can handle adversity and the language of power (bullying) I'm sure - I doubt she can handle indifference and irrelevance.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burning bridges, honesty, omy