Join Early Retirement Today

Being Thankful
Old 07-29-2021, 03:27 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Being Thankful

I was just reflecting on a big benefit of FIRE, helping your family during a tight spot.

My DD and great SIL (and amazing GD) were in the middle of a cross country military transfer when their PU truck engine blew (Thx to the F-150 oil pan!!). There were in a real hard spot and I had the ability to write a check for a replacement truck so they could complete their transfer.

A comparatively modest sum made all the difference (for want of a nail,....).
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2021, 03:31 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekward View Post
I was just reflecting on a big benefit of FIRE, helping your family during a tight spot.

My DD and great SIL (and amazing GD) were in the middle of a cross country military transfer when their PU truck engine blew (Thx to the F-150 oil pan!!). There were in a real hard spot and I had the ability to write a check for a replacement truck so they could complete their transfer.

A comparatively modest sum made all the difference (for want of a nail,....).
I firmly believe that one of the best reasons for having more than you need is for situations like this. I bet it felt better to do that for your daughter than to even just go buy a new truck for yourself.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:36 PM   #3

Very nice that you can help them out. Agree that being thankful for what you have and the ability to help others is a great way to enjoy being FIRE'd.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:43 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Very nice that you can help them out. Agree that being thankful for what you have and the ability to help others is a great way to enjoy being FIRE'd.
My sentiments exactly…

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:52 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

so blessed, completely agree.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Interesting coz on a much more minor scale today, DGF's son needed $500 to help fix his car. So we were able to do it. He is in a tight spot financially right now.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:24 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Should the military pay for the transfer?
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post

+1

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:01 AM   #9

Thankful here as well to have the ability and to act on helping others not so fortunate.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
I’m sure it does. Shipping household goods, a mileage allowance for the distance traveled, a per-diem allowance for the days in transit. But buy a new truck or repair one that crapped out? No way.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:19 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I'm thankful everyday and blessed to be in the position to be able to help other. Last year was a 6 figure number that we gave to help others. Giving back is a blessing and rewarding, whether is in time or monetary.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:41 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I’m sure it does. Shipping household goods, a mileage allowance for the distance traveled, a per-diem allowance for the days in transit. But buy a new truck or repair one that crapped out? No way.
"No way" isn't exactly true as there are options available to members who have issues like a car dying on a PCS move. Air Force Assistance Program is an example. I think most of the service have similar programs. I was able to use the AFAS when I was a young airman and didn't have money for an emergency trip home.

Nonetheless, it's awesome to be a position to help someone financially when you are FI.

https://afas.org/

Quote:
AFAS provides emergency assistance to Air Force and Space Force families when unexpected financial emergencies arise with no-interest loans and grants. These financial assistance programs help meet immediate financial emergency needs and help make a positive step toward a lasting financial solution.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:00 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I feel blessed and thankful every day for what we have and are able to share.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
"No way" isn't exactly true as there are options available to members who have issues like a car dying on a PCS move. Air Force Assistance Program is an example. I think most of the service have similar programs. I was able to use the AFAS when I was a young airman and didn't have money for an emergency trip home.

Nonetheless, it's awesome to be a position to help someone financially when you are FI.

https://afas.org/
Good point! AFAS sounds a lot like Navy and Marine Corps Relief Society with which I’m most familiar. These organizations are closely aligned with although not a part of the services they support and can indeed bail out members who find themselves in dicey situation through loans or outright grants. Indeed, most of the NMCRS volunteers who evaluate the members’ situations and make decisions on fund disbursement are themselves military members (functioning as Society volunteers), spouses or retirees. The question was whether “the military” should pay for the transfer. Sure sounded to me like there was an implication that “the military” might/oughta pay for the truck/repairs (which they wouldn’t and likely can’t legally.) But your reminder that there are other avenues is a point well taken. As is your last sentence.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:56 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
Yes. Mileage and perform, but not engines.
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:42 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I have had a charmed life in so many respects.

Very thankful for what I have, and most especially for my good health in these retirement years.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:13 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
I have had a charmed life in so many respects.

Very thankful for what I have, and most especially for my good health in these retirement years.
My thoughts exactly, how thankful I am each day for health and the great life in general. Money just so happened to be a small part of my time here.
street is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thankful