Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-18-2019, 07:03 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
No, read the methodology they explain it better than I probably will.

You input your spend without taxes. 90k in your example. The app calculates your taxes and adds it into your total withdrawal so your withdrawal is 100k, again from your example.
Actually your explanation is what I am doing. Just misunderstood your explanation. Whew!!!

So taking it a step further with my example, if one has a withdrawal of 100k and a Fidelity score of 110, then one has a maximum spending of 110k.
Agree?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 07:07 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Actually your explanation is what I am doing. Just misunderstood your explanation. Whew!!!

So taking it a step further with my example, if one has a withdrawal of 100k and a Fidelity score of 110, then one has a maximum spending of 110k.
Agree?
Yes, I agree. 110 means you have 110% of your anticipated expenses covered.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:09 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I agree. 110 means you have 110% of your anticipated expenses covered.
Okay all is good now. Started doubting myself. Thank you very much.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:17 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Okay all is good now. Started doubting myself. Thank you very much.
No, I do the same thing from time to time.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:17 AM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
A little on the optimistic side but it is using the classic 95% success rate on 4% WR inflation adjusted.
Just use the Fidelity calculator in conjunction for a more conservative view.
It seems you have to "sign up" "log in" to get to the calculator in Fidelity. I don't want their e-mails, newsletter etc. I'm not a Fidelity customer. Is there a link to get to the calculator you're speaking of?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:24 AM   #106

use a throwaway account from google, yahoo, microsoft, etc. I use gmx.com for mine
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:34 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
It seems you have to "sign up" "log in" to get to the calculator in Fidelity. I don't want their e-mails, newsletter etc. I'm not a Fidelity customer. Is there a link to get to the calculator you're speaking of?
Its only going to be as good as your inputs so if you are not a client and don't want to link accounts, I am not sure how accurate the results will be.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Its only going to be as good as your inputs so if you are not a client and don't want to link accounts, I am not sure how accurate the results will be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
There is a basic version of the Fidelity calculator. See the below link. It does not give one the detail and ability to play around with the numbers.
The detailed calculator that we use comes with being a Fidelity customer.
Link:
https://www.fidelity.com/calculators...ent-score-tool
Old 02-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #109

Quote:
Fido’s will calculate your tax rate and add the tax liability into your analysis. So their gross amount includes taxes.
Curious how accurate others have found their tax estimates to be. They show a significantly higher tax liability for us vs my estimates using turbo tax and estimates from i-orp. Not sure how to resolve the differences.

For us, this is the huge wild card that keeps me awake and doing OMY. Using my expense estimates, we're at 97 with Fidelity and 95+% with Firecalc, with a fair amount of cushion in our budget. We have room to significantly decrease our spend, but would prefer not to for our initial years, especially with young kids in the mix.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
Curious how accurate others have found their tax estimates to be. They show a significantly higher tax liability for us vs my estimates using turbo tax and estimates from i-orp. Not sure how to resolve the differences.

For us, this is the huge wild card that keeps me awake and doing OMY. Using my expense estimates, we're at 97 with Fidelity and 95+% with Firecalc, with a fair amount of cushion in our budget. We have room to significantly decrease our spend, but would prefer not to for our initial years, especially with young kids in the mix.
A 97 at Fido is border line, but it is a more conservative tool than the others. I can understand your concern and maybe a reason to pause and reconsider your plan a bit closer if something like taxes will alter your outcome.
As far as tax estimates, there are so many unknowns, I would rather err on the high side.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:39 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post

If you are a Fidelity customer using the full range calculator, you can input your own tax rates for Federal and State.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you are a Fidelity customer using the full range calculator, you can input your own tax rates for Federal and State.
That's true. It is under the "time and expenses" tab.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
When I was in my last two years I went on every retirement calculator site known to man. Just getting my head around being able to retire earlier than I thought. I'm almost three years in and I continue to run scenarios knowing already that I'm ok. I can't explain it other than being anxious. Maybe just having a tough time being grateful

+1
It's a really hard habit to break. Having this mindset it what got us to the position of being able to retire in the first place!
Mantras: Carpe diem & Gratitude
PointBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:21 PM   #114
Dryer sheet aficionado

This is such helpful discussion and information, all! Thank you so much!

For those that use the Fidelity planner, where do you see your income taxes listed as expenses? When I entered my information into the planner, I entered my federal/state income tax rates, and then I separately entered my discretionary/non-discretionary spending dollar amounts (I did not include income taxes in my discretionary/non-discretionary spending dollar amounts). Where would I see the income tax expenses included in my total expenses? For instance, under the "Detailed Income Analysis" section of the report, does the "Total Expenses" number include income taxes?

The question came up on another thread about making sure to include income taxes in expense projections, and I wasn't sure how Fidelity differentiated the discretionary/non-discretionary spending dollar amounts, from the income tax expenses.
akl432 is offline   Reply With Quote