Best cash back credit card with no annual fee?

Have you ever had a problem with the Prime VISA? I am so tempted, but have also read a ton of negative reviews, including in the reviews for the card on the Amazon site! Most of them are about having to resolve a problem with customer support and finally giving up because it is so bad.

No problems yet but we’ve only had it for about 6 months. And we only use it on Amazon. We use the Fido 2% card for everything else.

While cashback is one consideration, I have a Citi mastercard that only gives 1% cashback but extends the manufacturers warranty on purchases by two years. So I use it for electronics and appliances typically resulting in a full 3 years' warranty.
Do you the Citi Mastercard which pay 1% at statement + 1% at
payment and has the 2 year warranty extension and a price rewind which has netted me over $500 over the last 2 years.

Fidelity 2% is is a good all around card, but there are better one for certain things.

Last quarter Discover Card gave 5% back on groceries. I used it a lot last quarter. This quarter is 5% back on restaurants and I am not using it as much. Next quarter is 5% back on Amazon, another reason to cancel Prime.

I use Capital One for ongoing small charges such as Netflix because it has the new ENO system that provides a unique account number for each merchant. No more having to change all my monthly auto-pay CCs if a card is compromised. I figure I lose less than $15 a year in rewards, well worth it compared to the 2% card.

Last edited:
I waited a long time before applying for the Amazon Visa. I am glad I did. We make a lot of purchases through them and the points build up pretty quick. It is always a pleasant surprise when I go to checkout on Amazon and I see that my cb points cover the cost of the item I am buying.

I do need to look more closely at my other cards to see which is best for gasoline.

We started using the Costco VISA in Europe this year for our hotel and larger dining expenses, as it gives 3% back on hotels and dining. They dropped their foreign transaction fee earlier this year.

Last quarter Discover Card gave 5% back on groceries. I used it a lot last quarter.
Me too. Used it at Fry's Food (Kroger) for groceries and gift cards to rack up thousands of fuel points. Use them to get $1.00 per gallon off whenever I have to fill up the gas tank.

payment and has the 2 year warranty extension and a price rewind which has netted me over $500 over the last 2 years.

That is the one that I have.... I just received $500 cash back credit to my account yesterday.

I've had it for a long time and it's just a flat 1%. maybe I should change it for the 1+1. It does have the other goodies.

Uber card by Barclays- 4pct on restaurants, 3pct on airfare and hotels, 2pct on online purchases (nothing to do with Uber except its typed on the card) no foreign transaction fee

USAA unlimited cashback thingy dealio 2.5pct cashback on everything (cant get it anymore but Im grandfathered knock on wood)no foreign transaction fee

regular ole Discover paying 5pct on rotating categories. Right now its restaurants

Amazon card for amazon purchases

For gas (5.25%), grocery/Costco/Walmart (3.5%), I use Bank of America Cash Rewards
For Amazon purchase, I use Amazon Store Card (5%)
For restaurant, travel, I use Chase Sapphire Reserve (3 X UR points)
For everything else, I use Bank of America Travel Rewards (2.625%)

There is also Chase Freedom. For 5% cash back quarterly category, I use Lyft this quarter and paid internet last quarter.

For gas (5.25%), grocery/Costco/Walmart (3.5%), I use Bank of America Cash Rewards

There is also Chase Freedom. For 5% cash back quarterly category, I use Lyft this quarter and paid internet last quarter.

Minor question here. Obviously you are a BOA/ML Preferred Platinum customer.
Would there be an advantage in using the BOA Premier card instead of the Sapphire card? 3.5% on travel, restaurants plus if you travel the annual fee is effectively reimbursed.

Minor question here. Obviously you are a BOA/ML Preferred Platinum customer.
Would there be an advantage in using the BOA Premier card instead of the Sapphire card? 3.5% on travel, restaurants plus if you travel the annual fee is effectively reimbursed.

I looked into BoA Premier Rewards card and I see Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) has some extra benefits. So, I did not get a BoA Premier card, instead I keep a no fee BoA Travel Rewards

Annual fee: CSR charges $450 but you get $300 travel credit back so effectively $150/yr. Premier charges $95

Points: CSR gives 3XUR points per dollar spent on travel. Premier gives 2 points. CSR travel portal gives further discounts for flights. I do not see that in Premier portal, maybe I missed it.

Priority Pass at airports: CSR provides that. I do not see that in Premier, maybe I missed it.

Travel insurance: CSR provides that. I do not see that in Premier, maybe I missed it.

YMMV

I looked into BoA Premier Rewards card and I see Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) has some extra benefits. So, I did not get a BoA Premier card, instead I keep a no fee BoA Travel Rewards

Annual fee: CSR charges $450 but you get $300 travel credit back so effectively $150/yr. Premier charges $95

Points: CSR gives 3XUR points per dollar spent on travel. Premier gives 2 points. CSR travel portal gives further discounts for flights. I do not see that in Premier portal, maybe I missed it.

Priority Pass at airports: CSR provides that. I do not see that in Premier, maybe I missed it.

Travel insurance: CSR provides that. I do not see that in Premier, maybe I missed it.

YMMV

Yes mainly agree with your points except the discounted CSR fee of $150 would be compared to Premier of zero fees after baggage reimb. For travel for a Platinum customer, Premier is effectively 3.5 points.
As you stated YMMV and certainly CSR is a great card.

Heck, I just use Sam's Club and get 3% cash back on travel and restaurants... no fee either...

Thanks for the info. I've been using the Bank of America Travel Reward with the preferred bonus for years and getting 2.625% - for everything except gas and supermarkets.

For Gas and Supermarkets, I've been using my PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature. I had to recalculate the percentage just now -it pays 2.55% for supermarket and 4.25% for gas. Basically, 117.6 points = 1$ so not very clear without getting out the calculator.

I just applied online for the BOA Cash Rewards card with $200 bonus. Got approved after a few seconds - very nice! Will now use this for gas and supermarket.

Thanks for the info. I've been using the Bank of America Travel Reward with the preferred bonus for years and getting 2.625% - for everything except gas and supermarkets.

For Gas and Supermarkets, I've been using my PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature. I had to recalculate the percentage just now -it pays 2.55% for supermarket and 4.25% for gas. Basically, 117.6 points = 1$ so not very clear without getting out the calculator.

I just applied online for the BOA Cash Rewards card with $200 bonus. Got approved after a few seconds - very nice! Will now use this for gas and supermarket.

Now you will be at groceries 3.50 and gas 5.25.
You should look at getting the Premier card. $500 bonus and 3.50 for travel and restaurants, while still keeping the 2.625 for everything else.

You should look at getting the Premier card. $500 bonus and 3.50 for travel and restaurants, while still keeping the 2.625 for everything else.

Yes, good idea - I just hate the annual fee. Do you cancel before the fee is charged (I assume at the 1 year anniversary)?

Yes, good idea - I just hate the annual fee. Do you cancel before the fee is charged (I assume at the 1 year anniversary)?

Here are the fee thoughts. If you travel whereby you pay $100 in baggage fees, these fees are 100% reimbursed yearly and thus you are effectively not paying the annual fee of $95.

Last edited:

Interesting. This card is not listed as one that is available to me. Perhaps I live in the wrong zip code.

Interesting. This card is not listed as one that is available to me. Perhaps I live in the wrong zip code.

Strange. I know it was available to current and non current customers when I got it last fall. I do see it currently advertised generically.

I just noticed AARP offers a Chase VISA that offers $100 after 3 months, and 3% on restaurants and gas stations (the bulk of our charges), 1% everything else. I have an Amazon card for those purchases. Another Chase card with quarterly bonus rewards. Any experience or thoughts on the AARP card?

Hmmm ... I like the simplicity of using fewer cards. Used to use 2% Fido for everything, but recently got the Amazon VISA and Target Red Card for 5% off. Only use those for Amazon and Target, respectively. But this B of A Premier card sounds interesting, especially since restaurants and travel are two of our biggest spending categories.

Hmmm ... I like the simplicity of using fewer cards. Used to use 2% Fido for everything, but recently got the Amazon VISA and Target Red Card for 5% off. Only use those for Amazon and Target, respectively. But this B of A Premier card sounds interesting, especially since restaurants and travel are two of our biggest spending categories.

Premier update - not sure it is obvious but to qualify for the travel/restaurant rate of 3.5%, (Platinum Preferred Customer) one must have 100k invested/banked with ML/BOA. Otherwise the rates are 2% for both.

Back
Top Bottom