Join Early Retirement Today

Best cash back credit card with no annual fee?
Old 07-23-2018, 06:56 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Best cash back credit card with no annual fee?

My current Capital One card only gives 1.5% cash back. I've been eyeballing Fidelity's 2% cash back card that will deposit the cash back directly into my Fidelity account. Any better no annual fee cards out there?
Machine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I get a fair amount of card signup bonus bucks, but Fidelity is my go to for just brain dead spend and get a percentage back.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:02 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Dig around on Doctor of Credit to see what you can get. I tend to stick with the Citi double discount card, but only when I am not working on a spend for a signup bonus.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:03 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Yes - Fidelity for many things. It’s the fallback.

But I have a slew of cards which give higher cash back on certain categories.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Best I have found is from USAA Bank - their no fee Visa Limitless Cashback Rewards cards pays 2.5% on anything and everything.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:33 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Best I have found is from USAA Bank - their no fee Visa Limitless Cashback Rewards cards pays 2.5% on anything and everything.
That's no longer available, unfortunately.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:34 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Glad I got it when I did.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:27 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I use the fidelity 2% card for nearly everything. I don't use it overseas, though. There is a foreign transaction fee.
I'm also a fan of the fidelity debit card. All ATM fees (domestic and international) are refunded. There is a 1% fee for currency exchange when overseas, which I find acceptable. This is associated with their cash management account.
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:25 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ditto on the Fidelity 2% cash back card. If you’re an Amazon Prime member, the Prime VISA card also offers 5% back on Amazon purchases and 2% back on everything else.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:38 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Ditto on the Fidelity 2% cash back card. If you’re an Amazon Prime member, the Prime VISA card also offers 5% back on Amazon purchases and 2% back on everything else.
I think the Amazon 2% is just drugstores, restaurants, and gas stations
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:32 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Alliant Credit Union offers a Visa Signature with 3% cash back on everything and no annual fee for the first year, but this moves to 2.5% cash back and $59 annual fee thereafter. In year two, it's only better than a free 2% card if you spend more than $11,800 per year. No foreign transaction fee. This has become my default card over Fidelity.

If you don't otherwise qualify, membership is easy with a small donation to Foster Care to Success. Their online savings and free interest checking are also competitive with fast transfers so I use them as others use Ally. The website is acceptable but not pretty.
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:47 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We use the Citi Double Cash card... 1% when charged and another 1% when paid... ours is on auto-pay so I think of it as just 2%... on everything... no categories.

That replaced an Escape by Discover card that we had for years that was 2% on everything but had an annual fee.... when other more competitive cards came out I asked them to waive the annual fee and they couldn't.... so I moved on.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:59 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

PenFed power cash rewards is 2% back if you also have a PenFed checking account--1.5% otherwise.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:25 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You said no fee, but don't rule out fee cards like Amex Blue without doing the math first. I pay $75/year for my Amex card but as it pays 6% back on groceries it more than makes up for the fee vs. a 1.5% back card, like my Capital One.

As they say, YMMV.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:41 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Have you ever had a problem with the Prime VISA? I am so tempted, but have also read a ton of negative reviews, including in the reviews for the card on the Amazon site! Most of them are about having to resolve a problem with customer support and finally giving up because it is so bad.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:35 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
You said no fee, but don't rule out fee cards like Amex Blue without doing the math first. I pay $75/year for my Amex card but as it pays 6% back on groceries it more than makes up for the fee vs. a 1.5% back card, like my Capital One.

As they say, YMMV.

Interesting.... looked it up and it maxes at $6K in purchases and now cost $95.... still is worth $175 net if that is all you purchase...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:49 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Interesting.... looked it up and it maxes at $6K in purchases and now cost $95.... still is worth $175 net if that is all you purchase...
Wouldn't it be $265?
Old 07-24-2018, 08:03 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Wouldn't it be $265?
Compared to taking 1.5% with the no-fee card mentioned. A little less if you use a 2% card some of us have found.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:15 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
Have you ever had a problem with the Prime VISA? I am so tempted, but have also read a ton of negative reviews, including in the reviews for the card on the Amazon site! Most of them are about having to resolve a problem with customer support and finally giving up because it is so bad.
I never had a problem with this card, so never needed to call customer support in 18 months. It is 5% on Prime purchases (including Prime membership fee), 2% on grocery, drugstore and restaurant, and 1% on everything else. I think they added Whole Foods to the 5% category.

I use Penfed Visa for 5% on gas, and alternate between Fido Visa and the Amazon Prime/Chase card for everything else. Oops, forgot Target Red Card (5%) and Lowes (4%) cash discount at the register
Old 07-24-2018, 08:18 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyS View Post
I use the fidelity 2% card for nearly everything. I don't use it overseas, though. There is a foreign transaction fee.
I'm also a fan of the fidelity debit card. All ATM fees (domestic and international) are refunded. There is a 1% fee for currency exchange when overseas, which I find acceptable. This is associated with their cash management account.
The Fidelity Debit Card does not charge a foreign exchange fee at a foreign ATM. The 1% fee only applies at points of sale terminals overseas.