Best cash back credit card with no annual fee?

Machine99

Dryer sheet aficionado
My current Capital One card only gives 1.5% cash back. I've been eyeballing Fidelity's 2% cash back card that will deposit the cash back directly into my Fidelity account. Any better no annual fee cards out there?

I get a fair amount of card signup bonus bucks, but Fidelity is my go to for just brain dead spend and get a percentage back.

Dig around on Doctor of Credit to see what you can get. I tend to stick with the Citi double discount card, but only when I am not working on a spend for a signup bonus.

Yes - Fidelity for many things. It’s the fallback.

But I have a slew of cards which give higher cash back on certain categories.

Best I have found is from USAA Bank - their no fee Visa Limitless Cashback Rewards cards pays 2.5% on anything and everything.

I use the fidelity 2% card for nearly everything. I don't use it overseas, though. There is a foreign transaction fee.
I'm also a fan of the fidelity debit card. All ATM fees (domestic and international) are refunded. There is a 1% fee for currency exchange when overseas, which I find acceptable. This is associated with their cash management account.

Ditto on the Fidelity 2% cash back card. If you’re an Amazon Prime member, the Prime VISA card also offers 5% back on Amazon purchases and 2% back on everything else.

Ditto on the Fidelity 2% cash back card. If you’re an Amazon Prime member, the Prime VISA card also offers 5% back on Amazon purchases and 2% back on everything else.

I think the Amazon 2% is just drugstores, restaurants, and gas stations

Alliant Credit Union offers a Visa Signature with 3% cash back on everything and no annual fee for the first year, but this moves to 2.5% cash back and $59 annual fee thereafter. In year two, it's only better than a free 2% card if you spend more than $11,800 per year. No foreign transaction fee. This has become my default card over Fidelity.

If you don't otherwise qualify, membership is easy with a small donation to Foster Care to Success. Their online savings and free interest checking are also competitive with fast transfers so I use them as others use Ally. The website is acceptable but not pretty.

Last edited:
We use the Citi Double Cash card... 1% when charged and another 1% when paid... ours is on auto-pay so I think of it as just 2%... on everything... no categories.

That replaced an Escape by Discover card that we had for years that was 2% on everything but had an annual fee.... when other more competitive cards came out I asked them to waive the annual fee and they couldn't.... so I moved on.

PenFed power cash rewards is 2% back if you also have a PenFed checking account--1.5% otherwise.

You said no fee, but don't rule out fee cards like Amex Blue without doing the math first. I pay $75/year for my Amex card but as it pays 6% back on groceries it more than makes up for the fee vs. a 1.5% back card, like my Capital One.

As they say, YMMV.

Last edited:

Have you ever had a problem with the Prime VISA? I am so tempted, but have also read a ton of negative reviews, including in the reviews for the card on the Amazon site! Most of them are about having to resolve a problem with customer support and finally giving up because it is so bad.

You said no fee, but don't rule out fee cards like Amex Blue without doing the math first. I pay $75/year for my Amex card but as it pays 6% back on groceries it more than makes up for the fee vs. a 1.5% back card, like my Capital One.

As they say, YMMV.

Interesting.... looked it up and it maxes at $6K in purchases and now cost $95.... still is worth $175 net if that is all you purchase...

Interesting.... looked it up and it maxes at $6K in purchases and now cost $95.... still is worth $175 net if that is all you purchase...

Wouldn't it be $265?

Have you ever had a problem with the Prime VISA? I am so tempted, but have also read a ton of negative reviews, including in the reviews for the card on the Amazon site! Most of them are about having to resolve a problem with customer support and finally giving up because it is so bad.

I never had a problem with this card, so never needed to call customer support in 18 months. It is 5% on Prime purchases (including Prime membership fee), 2% on grocery, drugstore and restaurant, and 1% on everything else. I think they added Whole Foods to the 5% category.

I use Penfed Visa for 5% on gas, and alternate between Fido Visa and the Amazon Prime/Chase card for everything else. Oops, forgot Target Red Card (5%) and Lowes (4%) cash discount at the register

I use the fidelity 2% card for nearly everything. I don't use it overseas, though. There is a foreign transaction fee.
I'm also a fan of the fidelity debit card. All ATM fees (domestic and international) are refunded. There is a 1% fee for currency exchange when overseas, which I find acceptable. This is associated with their cash management account.

The Fidelity Debit Card does not charge a foreign exchange fee at a foreign ATM. The 1% fee only applies at points of sale terminals overseas.

The Amazon VISA credit card is administered by Chase. I hadn’t had trouble with it or other Chase credit cards.

I use the Amazon Store Card that is administered by Synchrony and is not a general credit card. As a prime member I get 5% credit rewards on purchases made through Amazon.

I've never had a problem either. I will often buy big ticket items on prime to get the additional 5%.

As many others have said, Fidelity's 2% back Visa. Too easy to have the points go right into your account, make payments from your account. The more I have under one roof, the easier it is to manage and also see how well I am doing.

While cashback is one consideration, I have a Citi mastercard that only gives 1% cashback but extends the manufacturers warranty on purchases by two years. So I use it for electronics and appliances typically resulting in a full 3 years' warranty.

My current Capital One card only gives 1.5% cash back. I've been eyeballing Fidelity's 2% cash back card that will deposit the cash back directly into my Fidelity account. Any better no annual fee cards out there?
Nope.

Back
Top Bottom