Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when did they add this savings account? I noticed that the other day, but I hadn't seen it before. Certainly not with a higher rate.

It was mentioned/discussed here in this thread in late August. I opened the account but just put in the minimum so I am glad to see they are trying to keep it interesting. I could park some maturing CD money here.

It was mentioned/discussed here in this thread in late August. I opened the account but just put in the minimum so I am glad to see they are trying to keep it interesting. I could park some maturing CD money here.
I already have better rates at my 3 high yield savings accounts, so it's not so interesting to me anymore. Synchrony went up to 2.05% - that's my highest yielder.

Once my PenFed CDs mature, I'm pretty much just going to be using their credit card. And we don't use it much, just for gas, and occasionally overseas. I have other no FTF credit cards now that are more convenient overseas - the FirstTech card that is great for PIN only situations, and Costco VISA for restaurants and hotels, and American Express Travel Rewards VISA for miscellaneous.

Agree, Ally is at 1.9%. SWVXX at Schwab is at 2.08%.
Looking forward to 2019 & 2020.

GM Financial Right Notes

They advertise 24/7 access to your money. These may have replaced the Old GMAC Demand Notes which were sort of an interest bearing checking account.

2.25% for under $15K investment
2.35% for $15K to $50K investment
2.50% for greater than $50K investment

Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2018 - 2019 - Please Post Updates Here

They advertise 24/7 access to your money. These may have replaced the Old GMAC Demand Notes which were sort of an interest bearing checking account.

2.25% for under $15K investment
2.35% for $15K to $50K investment
2.50% for greater than $50K investment

Not sure who you mean by “they”, but I just got an email for GM Financial Right Notes with these rates and tiers. Right Notes are successor to the Demand Note program. Ally is a different successor to GMAC which is a bank covered by FDIC with no connection to GM.

Pathways Financial Credit Union (OH) Adds 40-Month CD (4.00% APY)

Seems limited to Ohio. :(

The good news is that now we have a couple at 4%.

On the money market/savings front, there are now two @ 2.35%
MySavingsDirect: https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/mysavingsdirect/offers/

and PNC Bank: https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/pnc-bank-national-association/offers/

Hopefully some of the other rate leaders will follow, so I don't have to yet again be a dirty rate chaser.

ETA: Being the rate chaser I am, I closed my Ally 11-month no penalty CD @ 2.10% and opened another one at 2.20%. By doing so, I extended my maturity date 15 days. (Unfortunately, I missed the automatic increase in rate that Ally would do had it been 10 days or less, so I had to do this.) According to my handy-dandy spreadsheet, my annualized income from CD's/Savings increased by $61.84. :)

Last edited:
For regular savings, American Express Bank increased the interest rate to 2% APY. Effective today.

VMMXX is now up to 2.26% APY.... has been gradually creeping up for a bit now. 10/31/2018 distribution yield was 2.19% and that is simple interest so compounded would be 2.26%... not bad for 100% liquidity.

VMMXX is now up to 2.26% APY.... has been gradually creeping up for a bit now. 10/31/2018 distribution yield was 2.19% and that is simple interest so compounded would be 2.26%... not bad for 100% liquidity.

FZDXX is at 2.17% and will always trail VMMXX coz of the fees I suppose.
Nevertheless it is nice to see that the rates don't drop down for the most part, when there are short term dips in interest rate yields.

FZDXX is at 2.17% and will always trail VMMXX coz of the fees I suppose.
Nevertheless it is nice to see that the rates don't drop down for the most part, when there are short term dips in interest rate yields.
Interesting... difference in 7-day yield is 13 bps (2.24 v 2.11) and difference in ER is 14 bps (.16 v .30)... so you're right, the difference is due to expenses.

Looks like Fidelity is waiving 7 bps on the expense ratio... reducing it from .37 to . 30.

Ally Bank lagging a little as usual.

Except they have the terrific 11month no penalty CD that is almost as liquid. At 2.2% now. Funds at Allly I tend to park in the 11 month CDs.

Last edited:
On the money market/savings front, there are now two @ 2.35%
MySavingsDirect: https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/mysavingsdirect/offers/

Be cautious with MySavingsDirect - it's one of a few portals from Emigrant Bank (e.g. DollarSavingsDirect.com, EmigrantDirect.com). Each of these has offered teaser rates in the past, maintained market-based rate increases for a period of time, then either stopped raising the rate, or abruptly lowered it back down. They also have some hidden drawbacks when it comes to moving money in/out - read up on the reviews before signing up/committing.

Not withstanding, we had DollarSavingsDirect for about a year through early this year (when the rate topped out at 1.8%) and overall were satisfied. However, if you work with one of the more well-known banks that does increase rates along with the market, my guess is that in the long run you'll end out better off.

Be cautious with MySavingsDirect - it's one of a few portals from Emigrant Bank (e.g. DollarSavingsDirect.com, EmigrantDirect.com). Each of these has offered teaser rates in the past, maintained market-based rate increases for a period of time, then either stopped raising the rate, or abruptly lowered it back down. They also have some hidden drawbacks when it comes to moving money in/out - read up on the reviews before signing up/committing.

Not withstanding, we had DollarSavingsDirect for about a year through early this year (when the rate topped out at 1.8%) and overall were satisfied. However, if you work with one of the more well-known banks that does increase rates along with the market, my guess is that in the long run you'll end out better off.
That what seems to happen. Also CIT apparently keeps changing the type of account to get higher rates forcing folks to frequently open new accounts and transfer funds over to get the new higher rate.
CIT Bank’s Fifth Savings Account

The Savings Builder Account is the now CIT Bank’s fifth liquid account in its product line. Two of its first savings accounts, High Yield Savings and Spring Savings, are not available for new personal accounts. Last year CIT Bank introduced two new savings accounts. First, in May 2017 it debuted the Springs Savings Account. Then came the Premier High Yield Savings Account in July 2017. In March 2018, CIT Bank introduced a Money Market with no check writing. Each new account offered a higher rate than the existing account. Customers who had the old savings accounts were free to open the new ones, but if they didn’t, they kept earning the lower rates on the old savings accounts. To CIT Bank’s credit, the Bank lists the current rates for all of these account in its Products and Rates sheet.
from DepositAccounts

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom