Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Per Fidelity, the expected rate on six month Treasury bills at tomorrow's auction is 2.25 percent. And they are exempt from state income tax. You can buy them through Fidelity or the other major discount brokers at no cost.
What I am doing. Also with 3 month, also over 2% (2.1% expected next auction).

Autoroll.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Marcus/Goldman just published new CD rates. 2.55 percent for 12 months, 3.10 percent for 5 years. I'm sticking with short term treasuries, but the 12 month rate is decent.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Fed funds rate should go up to 2.25% near the end of this month, and 2.5% by the end of the year, which is why I am loath to commit to a 12 month CD at this point, because I think they should be at least 0.25% higher by Dec - in 4 months. The 13 week and 26 week T-bills seem to be tracking ahead of the Fed Funds rate.

Also - some things like the no penalty CDs will have to go up again soon.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

+1 that is why for the time being I don't mind havings a lot of money parked in VMMXX at 2.11% APR.... its stable, will come close to keeping up with inflation and will probably outperform most broad based bond funds for the next 3-6 months.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 that is why for the time being I don't mind havings a lot of money parked in VMMXX at 2.11% APR.... its stable, will come close to keeping up with inflation and will probably outperform most broad based bond funds for the next 3-6 months.
That’s about where the 13 week t-bill has been trading.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #126

+2

FZDXX with auto-redemption into Core Acct as needed to pay bills.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

This is quite a deal, but it has to be funded by check ether via snail mail or deposit at a shared branch.

NASA Federal Credit Union Offers Top Rate 15-Month CD, 3.25% APY

https://www.depositaccounts.com/bank...tml#promo34908
Old 09-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Its hard to do better by waiting to commit funds. These high yield 12-15 month CD deals make a lot of sense in my view.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #129

Next week's treasury zeros currently showing expected yields:
3 mon 2.10%
6 mon-2.25
12 mon-2.42

Very liquid and no penalty early withdrawal beyond $1/bond sales charge at least at Fido
One possible consideration of taking the six month is with zeros, all interest will not be recognized until 2019 assuming a cash based taxpayer
Old 09-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Next week's treasury zeros currently showing expected yields:
3 mon 2.10%
6 mon-2.25
12 mon-2.42

Very liquid and no penalty early withdrawal beyond $1/bond sales charge at least at Fido
One possible consideration of taking the six month is with zeros, all interest will not be recognized until 2019 assuming a cash based taxpayer
There is a built in early withdrawal penalty beyond the sales commission - it’s the difference between the old and new rate available on the bond at the remaining duration.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

If interest rates go up on Sept. 26th... They may get better.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
If interest rates go up on Sept. 26th... They may get better.
True! But based on my personal tax estimate, moving four months of interest to 2019 reduces our chances of getting pushed into another bracket. YMMV
Old 09-07-2018, 07:17 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
This is quite a deal, but it has to be funded by check ether via snail mail or deposit at a shared branch.

So I jumped on this earlier in the week as a test. Online account opening was easy, ACH'd my initial $5 deposit to the base savings account. Yesterday I deposited a check via a shared branch, also easy. Then an hour or so later when I was home, I did a chat with NasaCU rep to move the money to the 15-month CD (the shell for the CD had been opened when I did the initial account opening). So, that was easy (tm).

Today I opened another 15-month CD (as an existing member), and later today I am going to try wiring money to the account (from a brokerage account where I have free wire). Man, I just wish I had a ton (i.e. $250K) of cash to throw at this one.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #134

Quote:

Thank you for sharing this deal. I just chatted with an online rep, and she said you can actually wire money to fund the CD:

Yes, the funds can be wired into the savings account then you can contact us to apply it to the certificate.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 09-07-2018, 12:13 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Thank you for sharing this deal. I just chatted with an online rep, and she said you can actually wire money to fund the CD:

Yes, the funds can be wired into the savings account then you can contact us to apply it to the certificate.
From reading comments - once you get a savings account set up, yes, then it just takes a phone call.

I also found out that my local Costco is a shared branch. Who woulda thunk!

But I don't have any funds free to take advantage of this. Most of my funds are freeing up near the end of this year and early next year. I bet there will be some other deals available then. I'm not ready to open yet another FCU account.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #136

Quote:
From reading comments - once you get a savings account set up, yes, then it just takes a phone call.

I also found out that my local Costco is a shared branch. Who woulda thunk!

But I don't have any funds free to take advantage of this. Most of my funds are freeing up near the end of this year and early next year. I bet there will be some other deals available then. I'm not ready to open yet another FCU account.
We happen to be sitting on a big chunk of change since selling our rental. We might just make a move on this one - hoping something a lot higher doesn't pop up right after we commit to it...that would be my luck...lol.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:25 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We happen to be sitting on a big chunk of change since selling our rental. We might just make a move on this one - hoping something a lot higher doesn't pop up right after we commit to it...that would be my luck...lol.
Yeah - if I were sitting on a big chunk of change I would be over at Costco already!
Old 09-07-2018, 01:33 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

+1 on this. With any luck, we will be closing on our home (selling) in less than a month and that nice chunk of change can work for us a little bit while we figure out what our next "home" move is going to be.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Well, have applied to NASA, but got a "hurry up and wait" message. Looking at the application portal (does it go to Saturn since it's NASA?) and it shows "referred". I wonder if that has anything to do with my credit being frozen? Or maybe because I did my application at 5:15 on a Friday...
Old 09-08-2018, 05:47 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Well, have applied to NASA, but got a "hurry up and wait" message. Looking at the application portal (does it go to Saturn since it's NASA?) and it shows "referred". I wonder if that has anything to do with my credit being frozen? Or maybe because I did my application at 5:15 on a Friday...

I hope it's not the frozen credit because we will have the same issue. It's comforting to keep your credit frozen but sure is a PIA when you want to apply for something that requires a credit check.

Closed Thread