Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2019, 04:19 PM   #241
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It’s there, just doesn’t show under their CD comparison.

I was seeing it at the top when I typed in Ally.com
I did not see it when I typed that in.

This is not about how to use the website. This is about Ally being selective about who is shown that offer.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2019, 04:58 PM   #242
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
Found it: https://www.ally.com/learn/selectcd-14m/

It's not listed anywhere on my account pages.
This link takes you there without being signed on. Just got mine done.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
This is not about how to use the website. This is about Ally being selective about who is shown that offer.
I don't know why they don't list it with the other CD offering. It's not like this is an UNBELIEVABLE rate.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:41 PM   #244
Recycles dryer sheets

3.5% 18 month. Freedom FCU in PA. I think membership maybe geographic. I have two CDs with them and considering adding this one.
https://www.freedomcu.org
Henry Lili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #245
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just ended up buying another 2.85% 14 month CD. It was the easiest option for me.

We’ll see what rates look like near the end of the year. If fuel prices stabilize - and it looks like they have - rates should be higher near the end of the year barring an economic slowdown.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:10 AM   #246
Dryer sheet aficionado

CD ladders - how many CDs & how many different institutions

I am starting my research to set up my first CD ladder. I'm wanting to create something along the lines of 1 - 2 years of regular expenses put into the ladder.

(Current monthly income comes from rental properties, investment dividends and a CRT. 6-10 years before tapping into retirement accounts).

I've been thinking in terms of having a CD mature every 6 months (For now, one year apart seems too long even with an income stream). Over time (starting with shorter terms for some steps of the new ladder), I will get to the point of having one mature every 6 months - which can be put into a new 5 year CD. (Assuming the longer ones are generally the best rates).

HOWEVER - seems like many people on this thread are frequently buying CDs as good rates show up. But how is it they have the available cash to do that? And how many different locations do you hold your money? Is it really worth it to chase down the last $100?

Also - how often is this with money outside of a fixed CD ladder (like extra rungs on the ladder?)

(So many questions from this newbie - THANKS for any & all advice)
BeanCounter62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:24 AM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanCounter62 View Post
HOWEVER - seems like many people on this thread are frequently buying CDs as good rates show up. But how is it they have the available cash to do that? And how many different locations do you hold your money?

Also - how often is this with money outside of a fixed CD ladder (like extra rungs on the ladder?)

(So many questions from this newbie - THANKS for any & all advice)
I gather for many (as is the case with me) that in general a fair amount is kept in a high yield savings or money market account. When a good CD or bonus offer pops up, money can be moved around. With the high yield savings and money market accounts anywhere from 2.0%-2.4% there is little lost in having a good amount there and then taking advantage of good offers when they materialize.

Additionally, for me at least, my portfolio is heavily weighted towards fixed income with the bulk in CDs, munis, and treasuries and I have maturities continually (minimally twice a month) in addition to interest being paid almost daily. So I am buying new CDs monthly as funds become available.

Quote:
Is it really worth it to chase down the last $100?
I am always on the lookout for bonus offers because the effective yield can be many times the yield on a CD itself or savings/MM account. For instance, back in October we had the Ally 1% bonus offer for keeping the money in place for 3 months. So, for 3 months, that's a bump in the yield by an additional 4%, on up to $100k. I just took advantage of the Discover savings account bonus for daughter (did it for wife and myself a year ago) - it's one of the best around - deposit $15k (or $25k), they credit $150 (or $200) bonus within 2 weeks, withdraw it all with no fees or penalty. That's 26% APY - two weeks for what would have taken 6 months in savings or a CD. HSBC checking offer is another really good one - deposit $1500, they give you $200 bonus. I think you need to keep that one open for 6 months, but still - we're talking 26% APY there as well.

In my view, it's not simply chasing down the "last" $100 - it's more a matter of how quickly you'll be given that $100? Lather, rinse, repeat.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #248
Give me a forum ...

Getting back on track....

Andrews Federal Credit Union Has 6-Month CD (3.25% APY) For One Week
Old 02-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #249
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Getting back on track....

Andrews Federal Credit Union Has 6-Month CD (3.25% APY) For One Week
Oh man - I missed that by a couple of days!

I'm not seeing it - oh wait, it's not available until Feb 25.

https://www.depositaccounts.com/bank...-union/offers/

Hmmm......

I have some liquid short-term funds that could be parked for six months....
Old 02-19-2019, 12:03 PM   #250
Recycles dryer sheets

I just checked my Ally account. The 14-month Select CD that I opened a couple of weeks ago, as a rollover from maturing CD, now magically shows an APY of 2.9%. So Ally did bump up the APY a bit, without me having to do a thing!

(See posts 203, 205 and 206 above for the gist.)

Thank you adrift! I wouldn't have known about this without your comments.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:22 PM   #251
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
I just checked my Ally account. The 14-month Select CD that I opened a couple of weeks ago, as a rollover from maturing CD, now magically shows an APY of 2.9%. So Ally did bump up the APY a bit, without me having to do a thing!

(See posts 203, 205 and 206 above for the gist.)

Thank you adrift! I wouldn't have known about this without your comments.
Nice!
Old 02-20-2019, 07:09 AM   #252
Give me a forum ...

Space Coast Credit Union Has New 15-Month CD, 3.29% APY

These folks a just down the road from us....
Old 02-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #253
Give me a forum ...

VMMXX Down to 2.49% Compound Yield.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:50 PM   #254

Finally was able to open and get online with NASA FCU and get in the 15 month 3.2% CD. I just got into my account and was surprised that it was set up for 10k already even though I have not directed how much I want to allocate to it. Now I see it is a 10k minimum but I want to do more. Does anybody know if this min. is also max. They are now closed for the day. I'm hopping I can add more. It appears the account is already set up.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:04 PM   #255

There doesn't appear to be a maximum although there is a note on that particular offering stating that the CU reserves the right to limit the amount of the deposit. It also states that the CD must be funded by 2/28 in order to obtain the rate.

We have two CD's at NASA and have been very happy with their platform.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:05 PM   #256

No, I don't know if there is a max. I opened one for $30K a couple of weeks ago.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:30 PM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Finally was able to open and get online with NASA FCU and get in the 15 month 3.2% CD. I just got into my account and was surprised that it was set up for 10k already even though I have not directed how much I want to allocate to it. Now I see it is a 10k minimum but I want to do more. Does anybody know if this min. is also max. They are now closed for the day. I'm hopping I can add more. It appears the account is already set up.
This isn't a problem. Get on chat with a rep and they can change the amount. I did this a few days ago.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:32 AM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
This isn't a problem. Get on chat with a rep and they can change the amount. I did this a few days ago.
Yeah, I got on with a rep. and they said it was a mistake on their end and that I can have my external bank via ach send over the additional amount and they will add to it. Thank you.....
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:53 AM   #259

Just applied for two CDS at Andrews with the Military Saves 3.21% for six months - we'll see if this works...
Old 02-25-2019, 11:20 AM   #260
Give me a forum ...

Got off the phone with Andrews this morning - linked our Discover account to our Andrews share account so I could do an ACH transfer. Aaaaand Discover says the ACH initiated this morning will arrive at Andrews on 3-1. gonna be tight on timing. Andrews is open 10 to 2 on 3-2.