Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2019, 04:13 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
Looking for a 2 yr and a 5yr. now ......... Trying to fix my ladder. lol lol
Was going to go through Charles Schwab on those 2. But the 2 and 5 yr. sold out last week. Will be interesting to see the rates when they reappear.

I would be happy with a 3% 2 yr and 3.5% 5 yr..........
Recently picked up a ton of 1 yr 2.7% and tiny bit of 5 yr at 3.4%.
Will be interesting if things just sold out, or if CD rates will continue to fall....
Multiple 3 percent 2 year CD's shown at www.depositaccounts.com. Even higher with the lesser known banks. I have accounts at a couple of the better known banks and have never had a problem. Per Deposit Accounts, Pen Fed is offering 3.5 percent for 5 years and the lesser known banks are a little higher.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Navy Fed has a new CD special starting tomorrow. To go along with the 40 month 3.75% IRA CD. In case anyone is interested. No details at this time...

The speculation here is 17-months @ 3.25%.
adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Multiple 3 percent 2 year CD's shown at www.depositaccounts.com. Even higher with the lesser known banks. I have accounts at a couple of the better known banks and have never had a problem. Per Deposit Accounts, Pen Fed is offering 3.5 percent for 5 years and the lesser known banks are a little higher.
Yep. Just hoping the (5) institutions I am signed up with (and not already maxed out in) have something decent in the next week or two. Otherwise It will be 6-7.......Not easy trying to consolidate these days. But it is a goal...........

Seems a lot of marketing is going on. Good 1 yr. Lousy 5 yr. Etc. Etc. Great 3 yr. Lousy everything else... Killer sav. % and nothing more......
Old 01-06-2019, 11:33 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
The speculation here is 17-months @ 3.25%.
I see the 17 Mo@ 3.25 Non-IRA CD special is now posted on NFCU's website. The best part is it has the Add-On feature so you can open it for only $50 to "reserve" the rate and add funds at any time if you wish. I'm in!

Edit: Just noticed this special is limited to $50k per member.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #65

Just opened an account at Penfed. What's one more..........lol
Thanks for the info..........
Old 01-09-2019, 08:15 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I see the 17 Mo@ 3.25 Non-IRA CD special is now posted on NFCU's website. The best part is it has the Add-On feature so you can open it for only $50 to "reserve" the rate and add funds at any time if you wish. I'm in!

Edit: Just noticed this special is limited to $50k per member.
We are in the process of joining NFCU so that we can buy one of these CD's. I do wish the withdrawal penalty wasn't 180 days. Don't plan on having to break it, so I guess it doesn't matter.
Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2018 - 2019 - Please Post Updates Here
Old 01-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2018 - 2019 - Please Post Updates Here

This special is limited to 1 CD per member. If you were concerned about early withdrawal, you could split the deposit with a spouse if married.
INFCU is running a membership drive through 2/28/19. Refer a new member and each of you get $25. You can refer up to 5 people.

Also $100 bonus to open your 1st IRA.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:19 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Was ready to click the button today on a 5 yr. PenFed just dropped its 5 yr to 3.4 from 3.5. Not a huge deal. Just proof things are still dropping even at the 10yr T note is well off the bottom. Might be a good time to hold off on the 5 yr. Thoughts?
3.4 is the IRA rate for 60 months. The 5 yr taxable CD is still 3.5. I don't think either has dropped recently.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Was ready to click the button today on a 5 yr. PenFed just dropped its 5 yr to 3.4 from 3.5. Not a huge deal. Just proof things are still dropping even at the 10yr T note is well off the bottom. Might be a good time to hold off on the 5 yr. Thoughts?
Their website still shows 5-year @ 3.5%. For IRA certificates, the 5-year is 3.4%. Both of these rates have been in effect since 12/3/2018.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
Their website still shows 5-year @ 3.5%. For IRA certificates, the 5-year is 3.4%. Both of these rates have been in effect since 12/3/2018.
Hmmmm.....did the post we both quoted get deleted?
Old 01-09-2019, 02:41 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Just signed up for the Ally 14 month 2.85% CD and moved most of our other cash savings into their 2.30% no penalty 11 mth CD.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #72

Quote:

trade agreement with China?
clown college of politicians (both sides of the divide)"get their act together"?
Butcher a chicken and read the entrails.

I spreadsheeted the snot out of "now vs wait" before building a 5 year ladder last Sept. For me the math said I would be better of going ahead vs. waiting for the Dec "raise". (now the 5 yr is lower than what I got in Sept).
When I put in the 6month stagger in the ladder this March, I'll be able to get higher rates every 6months IF rates rise. Personally I think they'll drop... too early to tell but it seems to be happening sooner than I expected.

Reminds me of the Parable of the Pebbles (short version):
A man was out walking in the desert when a voice said to him, "Pick up some pebbles and put them in your pocket, and tomorrow you will be both happy and sad."
The man obeyed. He stooped down and picked up a handful of pebbles and put them in his pocket. The next morning he reached into his pocket and found diamonds and rubies and emeralds. And he was both happy and sad. Happy he had taken some - sad that he hadn't taken more.

Rates go down: I'll be sad I didn't go longer on the ladder.
Rates go up: I'll be sad I went as long as I did... but the $ are still making 1.3% better than letting them sit in a MM in the mean time.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Just signed up for the Ally 14 month 2.85% CD and moved most of our other cash savings into their 2.30% no penalty 11 mth CD.
Ditto - received that email yesterday for the 14 month and moved some of the bonus account money into it.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #74

Deleted my post... Silly me. Did not notice PenFed had a different rate for IRA / Non IRA CD's. 3.5% V.S. 3.4%...............
Old 01-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Deleted my post... Silly me. Did not notice PenFed had a different rate for IRA / Non IRA CD's. 3.5% V.S. 3.4%...............
I suspect the lower rate for IRA's is because they allow early withdrawal of all but $1K from IRA CDs without penalty if you're over 59.5.

I'd be shocked if PenFed lowered rates before the end of January. They must be bleeding money. They sucked in tons 5 years ago. Now, their rates are not exceptional and their early withdrawal penalty is punishing.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #76

I did NOT get an e-mail from Ally about the 2.85 percent CD offer. All the web page shows is 2.75 percent for 12 months. Kind of hurt my feelings, because I have been with them since the GMAC days...
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #77

Quote:
I did NOT get an e-mail from Ally about the 2.85 percent CD offer. All the web page shows is 2.75 percent for 12 months. Kind of hurt my feelings, because I have been with them since the GMAC days...
It's good until Feb 28.

Use this link: https://www.ally.com/learn/selectcd-14m

Quote:

2.85% APY

14-Month Select CD

Learn More

Offer valid from 11/9/18 – 2/28/19.
APY is accurate as of 01/08/2019 and is subject to
change. Early withdrawal penalty will apply.

QUESTIONS? Chat or email us, or call us 24/7 at 1-877-247-ALLY
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:20 PM   #78

I did not get it either. (Ally 2.85% 14 mo) Am actually existing Ally as we speak, mainly due to non competitive rates. $150k left today for 3.75 at Navy Fed ... $90k next week for 3.4% at PenFed. They probably figured they had to do something to stem the exodus of funds........2.85% is a good rate for them........Too bad its just on one CD...
Old 01-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Actually I didn't receive an email either. I knew about it from this site. I think I found it on their site last week as a special offer, but not this week, at least not in any obvious place.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #80

This is a great PenFed feature for me. 59 1/2 in 2 yrs... "I suspect the lower rate for IRA's is because they allow early withdrawal of all but $1K from IRA CDs without penalty if you're over 59.5"

I just called Ally for more transfer out info & asked about the special. Was told its been going on for months, and is not advertised or listed on the website. I asked if there were any other hidden deals before I transfer my entire IRA out. Was told only the 14 mo. Already have a 2.75% 12 mo there. Just signed up for the 3.25% 17 mo at Navy Fed. today, so Ally will yet again lose more of my funds. Busy as heck lately, but should have a quiet 12 months, starting next week. Got 95% of everything averaging just over 3% now. Sav/ 12mo to 5 yr cds. Lots of phone calls, lots of virtual paperwork....