Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2019, 09:25 PM   #881
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
How did you deal with the simple.com's split your money/goal thing? I think ill be moving over to first foundation bank (2.372%) from comenity (1.9%).
I opened up the regular savings account first and deposited the 20k there in order to receive the 500 bonus in Feb.
Then I opened up the Protected Goals savings account and transferred the monies from the other account.
The combined accounts count towards the bonus qualification status.
The Protected Goals account has an APY of 2.15%.
These monies are a substitute for Ally Bank (1.70%) for me.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2019, 11:38 PM   #882
Give me a forum ...

The people on the phone for Simple are about the best and most responsive I've dealt with. Have had them call back within a few hours when they said they would; very helpful and nice to talk with. Their web site is horrible. Cute and fluffy and a royal PITA to get useful information from. Not amused by hiding my money in a "my goals" area so I don't see it and have to blow it all on penny candy and gimcracks. Very unfortunate; I want to like them but find Ally and Discover way easier to get information from or work with.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:16 AM   #883
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
The people on the phone for Simple are about the best and most responsive I've dealt with. Have had them call back within a few hours when they said they would; very helpful and nice to talk with. Their web site is horrible. Cute and fluffy and a royal PITA to get useful information from. Not amused by hiding my money in a "my goals" area so I don't see it and have to blow it all on penny candy and gimcracks. Very unfortunate; I want to like them but find Ally and Discover way easier to get information from or work with.
Bolded by me - not sure what this means. I set up the Protected Goals account and haven't had to do anything since.
The website is horrible, but one can still see the balance plus interest earned in the goals account.
This account/bank for me is just a safekeeping account for future use of cash as part of managing MAGI. Thus I have minimal transactions and need to use the site frequently.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:44 AM   #884
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I agree it is a horrible format. I also haven't figured out how to move money back to checking or how to move additional money into the protected goals account. Very awkward.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:03 AM   #885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
I agree it is a horrible format. I also haven't figured out how to move money back to checking or how to move additional money into the protected goals account. Very awkward.
Agree, it is very awkward.

Move money to/from checking from/to goals:
https://www.simple.com/help/articles...ing-from-goals - scroll down to the bottom.

Quote:
Transferring money out of a Goal

You can also move money from your Goals back to your Safe-to-Spend.

Click on the Goal and select the Transfer button.

You'll see a screen pop up prompting you to transfer money into the Goal. Since right now, we want to move money out of the Goal, click Change to change the direction of the transfer.

You can also click on a Goal, drag, and drop onto your Safe-to-Spend. That'll automatically bring up the transfer screen, where you can specify the amount you'd like to move.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:39 AM   #886

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Agree, it is very awkward.

Move money to/from checking from/to goals:
https://www.simple.com/help/articles...ing-from-goals - scroll down to the bottom.
Thanks NJ. Ridiculous.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:52 AM   #887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Thanks NJ. Ridiculous.
They've obviously taken the utilitarian route with the website attempting to make it "simple", however it seems that somewhere along the way they missed the mark and it went off the rails complicating things. I haven't tried the app, but I'm guessing it fits in with the whole goals/expenses thing and for younger folks looking to control their budget and save along the way maybe it makes more sense. For older folks, we want plain vanilla checking/savings.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:35 AM   #888

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Still a Few 3% available for some.

Lafayette Federal Credit Union 5-Year CD Earns 3.03% APY

P1FCU (ID/OR/WA) Offers 3.05% APY On 60-Month CD

GPO Federal Credit Union (NY) Adds 14-Month CD Special, 3.00% APY

Space City Credit Union (TX) Offers 3.04% APY On 5-Year Jumbo CD

Andrews Federal Credit Union Adds 3-month CD Special, 3.01% APY

All In Credit Union Unveils 53-Month Special CD, 3.00% APY
what site did you use to find these rates? I was curious about the membership requirements and can't find them. thanks
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:41 AM   #889
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
what site did you use to find these rates? I was curious about the membership requirements and can't find them. thanks
One that has been discussed and used here frequently. Here you go.

https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/
Old 12-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #890
Give me a forum ...

I had a CD at a credit union mature. I was planning to move the money elsewhere. I went to the branch to make the withdrawal, and also to ask a question: Could I renew the CD into their latest promo, which was for "new money only" (As was the CD that just ended)?

Without batting an eye, I was told I could, but this was a "one-time exception".

This was so easy it made me wonder if i could have crafted an even better deal. Maybe will try next time.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:34 PM   #891
Give me a forum ...

We plan on doing a largish gift to family (heirs) in the near term and my CDs maturing now and in the next couple of months are going to that. So I’m not currently in the market for new CDs!

Kind of a relief in a way not to have to shop for new CDs in this sudden return to very low interest rates.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:36 PM   #892
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We plan on doing a largish gift to family (heirs) in the near term and my CDs maturing now and in the next couple of months are going to that. So I’m not currently in the market for new CDs!
You have always been my favorite relative! Need my mailing address?
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:37 PM   #893
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
You have always been my favorite relative! Need my mailing address?
Ha ha!
Old 12-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #894
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
I had a CD at a credit union mature. I was planning to move the money elsewhere. I went to the branch to make the withdrawal, and also to ask a question: Could I renew the CD into their latest promo, which was for "new money only" (As was the CD that just ended)?

Without batting an eye, I was told I could, but this was a "one-time exception".

This was so easy it made me wonder if i could have crafted an even better deal. Maybe will try next time.
I have had credit unions make exceptions for me before so I have developed a policy that it never hurts to ask. I am in a similar position and I figured if they say no, I could always transfer the funds out and move them back in like laundering funds!
Old 12-06-2019, 05:45 PM   #895

Quote:

I just did a similar thing with a couple maturing NASA FCU CD's. They were able to make an exception on the 10K in new $ requirement. Picked up the 15-month 2.5% as a place to hold the money.
copyright1997reloaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:05 PM   #896
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I just did a similar thing with a couple maturing NASA FCU CD's. They were able to make an exception on the 10K in new $ requirement. Picked up the 15-month 2.5% as a place to hold the money.
Have one there maturing 12/13 - called this morning to discuss moving it ($15 wire fee or $10k/day limit on a push/no limit on a pull). They said they would need $10k in additional new money to let me keep $104k there in a new 2.5% CD. Granted, it's not the 13th yet, but methinks NASAFCU is going to drop off my Quicken list of accounts soon. Have started test deposits from ALLY for a pull, but may just do a wire - about the same cost in lost interest as the wire fee.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:48 PM   #897
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Doesn't sound like an exception. You could have asked for a check for the maturing CD, walked out the door, turned around and walked back in and it would have been new money.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:13 PM   #898
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

A little known fact is that banks frequently make exceptions and negotiate special rates for large depositors. "Large" depends on the size of the bank and the degree to which they will wiggle depends on the competitive environment, but it is always worth asking.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:47 AM   #899
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I was at NASA also. I got the 9 month.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:18 AM   #900

Navy Federal 37-Month 3.0% APY Add-On Special, IRA/ESA Only

https://www.depositaccounts.com/bank...tml#promo40258
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote