Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 09:06 AM   #301
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
I just had the exact opposite with an ACH with Discover Bank. Took 10 days to do a xfer between accounts that have had a regularly scheduled monthly transfer for a couple of years.
Very Sad, I am sorry to hear that. One possibility could be that Banks are "for profit" based and like to hang on to the money for longer, credit unions are not.

In all honesty we have been with one CU or another for over 30 years with no issues. Why I am sure there are good reasons for folk continue to patronize the "for profit" banks except for business type services is beyond my personal understanding. I am sure there are valid reasons though.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2020, 09:08 AM   #302
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Very Sad, probably because Banks are profit based and like to hang on to the money for longer, credit unions are not.

In all honesty we have been with one CU or another for over 30 years with no issues. Why I am sure there are good reasons for folk continue to patronize the for profit banks except for business type services is beyond my personal understanding. I am sure there are valid reasons though.

The local CU here is a complete basket case. It took them 4 days to do a wire transfer on multiple occasions.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:04 PM   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
The local CU here is a complete basket case. It took them 4 days to do a wire transfer on multiple occasions.
Almost every CU I have dealt with is terrible with ACH stuff. I initiate the push or pull from the outside bank and that always seems to work.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #304

Quote:
In all honesty we have been with one CU or another for over 30 years with no issues. Why I am sure there are good reasons for folk continue to patronize the "for profit" banks except for business type services is beyond my personal understanding. I am sure there are valid reasons though.
We have been with a bank for since 1978, after several times being bought we had Wachovia now Wells. With being moved in our 20 years in Army, there was a Wachovia everywhere we were sent, except Germany. Now with traveling, we most times can find a local branch. Despite problems in the news over past several years we haven’t had any real issues. Just one reason.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #305
Give me a forum ...

Ok, so help me out here. My "go-to" MM funds at Vanguard are the Municipal MM (VMSXX) for taxable account and Prime MM (VMMXX). I noticed today that 7-day SEC Yield is 2.53% for VMSXX and for VMMXX is 1.03%. Why not swap out VMSXX for VMMXX and get the 1.5% higher yield for as long as it lasts?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-07-2020, 04:27 AM   #306
Give me a forum ...

I’d say definitely go for it. I use a single state muni fund at Fido but it’s an income fund not a MM fund so it moves around quite a bit and earns a bit over 2% usually. I think I’ll also open their national muni MM fund and use it as my core.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:56 AM   #307
Give me a forum ...

As of this morning, VMSXX dropped overnight to 1.79% vs VMMXX dropping to 0.97%, but 82 bps is still better than none.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:38 AM   #308

I liked this thread better when I made it up last year.
I wonder where things will be 1 - 2 years from now?
Crystal ball anyone?
Old 04-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #309
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Almost every CU I have dealt with is terrible with ACH stuff. I initiate the push or pull from the outside bank and that always seems to work.
Yes. CUs a bit dopey on transferring in and out also. Have to mail myself a check literally to one if them. Initiate via another bank etc etc.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:37 PM   #310

Marcus 7-month no penalty CD 1.7%
Old 04-09-2020, 06:47 AM   #311
Give me a forum ...

Hughes Federal Credit Union Has Rate Leading 36-Month Jumbo CD

36-month CDs – Jumbo, 2.22% APY, $99k; Mini-Jumbo, 2.12% APY, $50k; and CD, 2.02% APY, $1k.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #312
Recycles dryer sheets

Has anyone tried CitiBank offer of $700 bonus with $50000 deposit for 90 days .Link at: https://banking.citi.com/cbol/checki...0A2FF552CDC9BC
I believe after 90 days, one can down grade the account to the next tier to have $10K or less maintained without a monthly fee (instead of having to maintain a balance of $50K to avoid the $30 monthly fee)
Also, I don't know if one can cancel a CitiBank account online, or one has to go to a physical location to do that (that would be too much work imo)
Old 04-10-2020, 10:56 AM   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut2sua View Post
Has anyone tried CitiBank offer of $700 bonus with $50000 deposit for 90 days .Link at: https://banking.citi.com/cbol/checki...0A2FF552CDC9BC
I believe after 90 days, one can down grade the account to the next tier to have $10K or less maintained without a monthly fee (instead of having to maintain a balance of $50K to avoid the $30 monthly fee)
Also, I don't know if one can cancel a CitiBank account online, or one has to go to a physical location to do that (that would be too much work imo)
I did one last year. Read the terms very carefully and follow them exactly. Closing I went to a branch and closed the account. You could probably do it online.
Vanguard MM's (VMFXX,VMMXX,VMSXX) ?
Old 04-10-2020, 01:52 PM   #314
Recycles dryer sheets

Vanguard MM's (VMFXX,VMMXX,VMSXX) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
As of this morning, VMSXX dropped overnight to 1.79% vs VMMXX dropping to 0.97%, but 82 bps is still better than none.
Thanks a lot for this post as it got me to actually log onto my Vanguard acct to verify where my cash is sitting in. I did not realize they had multiple MM's.

So, I see my cash is sitting in VMFXX
7 day SEC yield as of 04/09/2020 = 0.59%

Comparing this to:
VMMXX
7 day SEC yield as of 04/09/2020 = 0.92%

VMSXX
7 day SEC yield as of 04/09/2020 = 1.25%

I am surprised there is such a big difference in yields. So, is there any downside(s) to moving all my cash from VMFXX to VMSXX ?

Do people around here regulary (like every quarter or two) move cash between these three (or is there more MM funds at Vanguard?) depending on what the best rate is at the time?
Old 04-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #315
Recycles dryer sheets

My Ally online savings account is yielding 1.5% as of today, so I may move VMMXX to Ally.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:34 PM   #316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livefree View Post
My Ally online savings account is yielding 1.5% as of today, so I may move VMMXX to Ally.
Marcus (Goldman) is paying 1.7% for online savings.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:32 PM   #317
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Very Sad, I am sorry to hear that. One possibility could be that Banks are "for profit" based and like to hang on to the money for longer, credit unions are not.

One reason is that most high-yield savings accounts with banks earn more than accounts with most credit unions.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:35 PM   #318
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Marcus (Goldman) is paying 1.7% for online savings.
My high-yield savings account with Vio Bank certainly took a hit from the previous APY of 2.52%, but it's still yielding an APY of 1.74% which I believe is higher than most.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:36 PM   #319
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeisprecious View Post
... most high-yield savings accounts with banks earn more than accounts with most credit unions.
I don't think that is at all true. While there are a dozen or so online banks that pay attractive high-yield savings rates the vast majoirty of banks and credit union high-yield savings rates just plain suck.

What is true is that credit union CD specials have been spanking banks for the past year to 18 months... or arguably even longer.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #320
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by janniemac View Post
This rate seems suspiciously high in this market. Website says Globe Limited Group is an HSBC Company and FDIC insured. Sold a rental property and looking for something safe. Anyone have experience with them?

Hi, it looks like HSBCDirect is offering 1.7%. Is this a legitimate offer or related o the scam you guys were previously discussing?
Closed Thread