Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2020, 03:32 PM   #261
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I pulled funds from an NFCU certificate. Called them up and they needed a written request but told me to specify how to debit the EWP. WHAT?? I asked for clarification and had to affirm the the request was due to the pandemic (to bolster my emergency funds). Penalties waived.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2020, 01:23 PM   #262
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Agree. I’m so glad we have those 3+% CD’s now. One thought I had was to put my immediate money (currently in MM) into the Navy 2.25% CD (we set up with $50 and it allows additional deposits).
+1 Just opened his and her NFCU 17-mo, 2.25% APR CDs with $50 minimum by credit card and transferring additional deposit money from Vanguard by wire tomorrow.

Also opened Roth for DW and seeded with $50 for 37-mo 3.0% APR and will transfer DW's Roth to that... I already have a 5-year tIRA CD from last summer with 3.5% APR.

I think 2.25% and 3.0% and 3.5% APR on NCUA insured ballast money is going to be very attractive over the next 17-37 months.... especially given the interest rate risk of bond funds if we ever get out of this mess.

ETA: Trying to decide for DW's Vanguard Roth account whether to close it/transfer entire balance or leave a little in it so we have it in case we ever want to transfer back to Vanguard later... thoughts

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:42 AM   #263
Recycles dryer sheets

Getting ready to reinvest a current 2.90% CD that comes due this week, like most of us I figured that when this rate was over I'd be looking at 3% to 4%! How times change!

On a positive note, for many years I've had an unusual amount of cash invested in low performing CD's, with nearly every "expert" telling me not too. I'm guessing that many on this forum are like me and sleep better at night knowing they have a certain amount of cash compared to dealing with our daily huge stock market swings.

As for my other investments, this cash gives me plenty of comfort while waiting for its return.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:22 PM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 Just opened his and her NFCU 17-mo, 2.25% APR CDs with $50 minimum by credit card and transferring additional deposit money from Vanguard by wire tomorrow.

Also opened Roth for DW and seeded with $50 for 37-mo 3.0% APR and will transfer DW's Roth to that... I already have a 5-year tIRA CD from last summer with 3.5% APR.

I think 2.25% and 3.0% and 3.5% APR on NCUA insured ballast money is going to be very attractive over the next 17-37 months.... especially given the interest rate risk of bond funds if we ever get out of this mess.

ETA: Trying to decide for DW's Vanguard Roth account whether to close it/transfer entire balance or leave a little in it so we have it in case we ever want to transfer back to Vanguard later... thoughts

Hmmm. Never thought to open a 2nd 17/mo CD for for DW. Ill do that too with $50.

As to the Roth how did you open with $50 without income? Must have been a transfer from existing Roth? Id keep both open in case you change your mind and buy stocks (especially if the money is likely go to the kids).
RetireAge50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:28 PM   #265
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
... As to the Roth how did you open with $50 without income? Must have been a transfer from existing Roth? I’d keep both open in case you change your mind and buy stocks (especially if the money is likely go to the kids).
I opened the account with $50 to lock in the CD by charging the $50 to my credit card. Then I'll move her Roth at Vanguard into Navy Federal.... say that is $90k so her balance will be $90,050. Then I'll withdraw the $50 plus any interest out as a mistaken contribution so what will be left is the $90k transferred from her Roth.

Alternatively, I could take move her whole Roth other than $50 and treat th $50 as a rollover contribution and take the last $50 out of her Roth as a withdrawal.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:28 PM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

I opened the 17 month CD last week, but it never dawned on me to open a second for DW . I guess I need to get her to apply. Hopefully it lasts that long.

I also have the 37 month 3% CD, but, again, did not think of DW. We have been treating her Roth as inheritance money for DS (very long term, all in the market, but maybe I will re-think that).

Thanks for another kick in the butt
Old 03-25-2020, 05:28 PM   #267

Thanks pb4uski for the ideas. Just set up the 17-month CD for my wife. We have some 18 month CDs expiring in Feb 2021 so if rates are real low then will be able to put it in her CD (for the last 6 months).
RetireAge50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM   #268

WRT opening accounts for spouses, I just remembered about the $50 bonus at NFCU for setting up your first IRA CD. Doesn't help me but DW will qualify when I open one up for her.
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM   #269
Recycles dryer sheets

On NFCU site for the 17 month 2.25% cd, it says only one per member. But we have a cpl of them under our trust, wonder if they'd allow us to put a cpl under just our name, hmm? Forgot to call them today.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:46 AM   #270
Give me a forum ...

I notice that all the Andrews FCU CD specials have vanished. Glad I moved earlier to catch what I could.
Old Today, 06:19 AM   #271

[Mod note and request]

Apparently surprising many folks, mods are not all-seeing, and we do not read every thread every day every post. And nope, we don't read every "oops hey mods can you clean up on aisle 3 we put scam links on that post 2 pages back".

To get our attention, please use the report button. It's the little caution sign in the panel under the user info next to a post.

I've gone thru and scrubbed all the links to the scam site that I could find, but if I missed any, please use the report button and I'll get those too.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:58 AM   #272
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
[Mod note and request]

Apparently surprising many folks, mods are not all-seeing, and we do not read every thread every day every post. And nope, we don't read every "oops hey mods can you clean up on aisle 3 we put scam links on that post 2 pages back".

To get our attention, please use the report button. It's the little caution sign in the panel under the user info next to a post.

I've gone thru and scrubbed all the links to the scam site that I could find, but if I missed any, please use the report button and I'll get those too.
I hadn't checked in a couple of days, but it appears the scam website has been taken down (finally). I hope some of my complaints to the FBI and FTC had something to do with that. But I never heard back from either of those organizations.