Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2020 - Please post updates here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've got the right thread, but if not, please advise.

I used to earn 1.5% at Barclays, in a savings account. Now it's .006.

I have pondered CDs, but frankly, I'm a bit lazy; I just want to move money in and out of a savings account and not worry about CD terms of 1 year, 6 months, etc.

Any suggestions as to a better savings account rate?

Not .006, it's .60; at least mine is. Several of the online banks I deal with have lowered their rates for savings accounts and CD's.

I should probably know the answer to this as I've been an NFCU member forever...can anyone, regardless of how many other certificates they have there, buy these "Easy Start" certificates as long as they don't have more than one at any given time? I think I've always just assumed from the name and the low maximum that they were intended to get young service members in the thrift habit.

DW and I just opened a NFCU Special Easy Start certificate each at 3.5% for 12 months event though we have other certificates with them. So yes, you can always have one. They also just made a change to allow rolling over the certificate at maturity in another Special Easy Start certificate. They are still a max of $3,000, but an individual and spouse can each open their own for a total of $6,000.

DW and I just opened a NFCU Special Easy Start certificate each at 3.5% for 12 months event though we have other certificates with them. So yes, you can always have one. They also just made a change to allow rolling over the certificate at maturity in another Special Easy Start certificate. They are still a max of $3,000, but an individual and spouse can each open their own for a total of $6,000.

Only available to members who have direct deposit & a checking account.

Now is a time when being active rather than camping on top of a falling interest account can be worthwhile. Look for savings/checking/credit card sign up bonus offers. Gal and I are taking advantage of a BofA business checking offer (bank invitation only on this one) that will pay a bonus equal to 3% /annum for the next 5 months. This as we finish a 1st Federal required time in account that earned a bit better than that for the last six months. Sure it's extra effort, but what do you do all day? Beats making 0.6%

I am moving multiple accounts out of capital One 360 because the interface has been dumbed down to child level. If you have multiple online accounts there is no ability to see a total for all accounts!

I have minimal in a checking account. The direct deposit requirement was not enforced with us.

My understanding was that if you didn't meet the criteria of having some sort of direct deposit then the interest rate would drop from 3.5% to 0.5%.

... Certificate owner(s) age 18 and older must have Direct Deposit of Net Pay or payroll allotment and a Navy Federal checking account within 90 days of the certificate issue date. If these requirements have not been satisfied by the 90th day, your Special EasyStart Certificate dividend rate will be reduced to the prevailing dividend rate of the standard EasyStart Certificate for the remainder of the certificate's term.

Have you passed the 90 days yet?

My understanding was that if you didn't meet the criteria of having some sort of direct deposit then the interest rate would drop from 3.5% to 0.5%.

Have you passed the 90 days yet?

No, not with this certificate. But the previous certificate did pay 3.5% all the way through.

I am moving multiple accounts out of capital One 360 because the interface has been dumbed down to child level. If you have multiple online accounts there is no ability to see a total for all accounts!

Yeah, that and the .65 % interest rate.

Online savings (Ally, Discover Bank, Capital One) are in the 0.8% range currently.

I was moving some money around this morning and noticed that my Capital One 360 savings account has silently moved down to 0.65% APR. It really bugs me how they don't send any notifications about these downward moves. Ally is very good with their notifications. I'll be moving most of my funds out of CO and back over to Ally. Got some good bonus cash and a slightly better APR than Ally (for a few months), but now it's actually costing me to keep money there vs. Ally.

Anyone see this? Not on deposit accounts.

9 and 13 months CDs. 3%+.

Not touting it. Just asking.

[mod note - removed link suspect scam]

Last edited by a moderator:

[mod note - removed link suspect scam]

9 month for 3.2 requires 500k min. and 12 mon 3.04 requires 200k min

Called and spoke to a guy, seemed legit. But who knows how to tell...for sure.
He mentioned goldman sachs had similar high value / high yield accounts? 1st I have heard of it..... Am locked up for the next 1-4 years ave. 3.25%. But still check around. Let me know what you folks find out about this one.
Am sure it has to be BS. Just not sure how to prove it.......

Last edited:
Called and spoke to a guy [at Asia Pacific], seemed legit. But who knows how to tell...for sure.
He mentioned goldman sachs had similar high value / high yield accounts? 1st I have heard of it..... Am locked up for the next 1-4 years ave. 3.25%. But still check around. Let me know what you folks find out about this one.

Wow, those rates are almost too good to be true. But definitely worth checking out. Other than ensuring it has a brick and mortar office somewhere, and that it's an FDIC member, I'm wondering what other due diligence to do... If you put $200K into a CD, it better be legit.

As to Goldman no-penalty CDs and accounts, they are in the .75%-.8% range as far as I can see from their web site.

If I was convinced I could get an FDIC-insured ~3% CD, I'd go for it. But how to ensure they are legit?

Last edited:
I cannot find either Asia Pacific Group or OCBC Bank on the FDIC web site, even though the Asia Pacific Group web site says they are FDIC-insured. (https://research2.fdic.gov/bankfind/index.html ; [mod note - removed link suspect scam][/url]).

The phone number on the web site is not a landline but a VOIP line.

The bricks-and-mortar address on the site pulls up a home health agency in that particular office suite: "Nu-era Home Health Agency, Inc is located at 225 W Hospitality Lane, Suite 200 San Bernardino, CA 92408." (https://www.healthcare4ppl.com/home...ino/nu-era-home-health-agency-inc-059605.html )

And you are to deal with them by phone. And there is a glaring typo on the site: "Online high-yield savings and CD's designed to help your thrive."

So far, this "bank" is giving me the creeps. Anybody else finding anything?

mod note - removed link suspect scam]

SCAM FRAUD...STAY AWAY!!!

These are the same crooks that popped up about 6 months ago and almost claimed one of our members.

https://www.whois.com/whois/asiapacificnational.com

New Russian Domain Registration:
Registered On: 2020-08-19
Name: Protection of Private Person
Street: PO box 87, REG.RU Protection Service
City: Moscow
Postal Code: 123007
Phone:+7.4955801111
Fax:+7.4955801111
Email:email@regprivate.ru

Last edited:
Well, it's weird. It is clear that Asia Pacific is a front-end and all the cash and interest is managed by OCBC Bank. OCBC stands for Oversea China Bank Corp, based in Singapore. According to their 2018 Annual Report, they do have an office in New York and in Los Angeles.
https://www.ocbc.com/assets/pdf/annual reports/2018/ocbc_ar2018_english.pdf

From the Asia Pacific website, link above.
All accounts are FDIC Insured. Deposits in these accounts are made with OCBC Bank & cleared by Asia Global Clearing Systems.

From https://www.relbanks.com/asia/singapore/ocbc-bank/branches A directory of international banks
"Los Angeles Agency offers loans and trade financing. The New York Agency provides products and services for wholesale banking including deposits, loans,trade finance and remittance services."

They say Asia-Pacific that they are a member of FDIC, but don't provide their FDIC# on their website.

General conclusion: RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

SCAM FRAUD...STAY AWAY!!!

These are the same crooks that popped up about 6 months ago and almost claimed one of our members.

https://www.whois.com/whois/asiapacificnational.com

New Russian Domain Registration:
Registered On: 2020-08-19
Name: Protection of Private Person
Street: PO box 87, REG.RU Protection Service
City: Moscow
Postal Code: 123007
Phone:+7.4955801111
Fax:+7.4955801111
Email:email@regprivate.ru
Good info, but this is not Asia Pacific National, but Asia Pacific Group according to the website link.

It seemed too good to be true to me. A similarly named institution appears on deposit accounts, Asian Pacific National Bank, which made me think It had at least some legitimacy.

Oh well live and learn.

Good info, but this is not Asia Pacific National, but Asia Pacific Group according to the website link.

Even better - the company name on their website doesn't even match their website address.

It seemed too good to be true to me. A similarly named institution appears on deposit accounts, Asian Pacific National Bank, which made me think It had at least some legitimacy.

Oh well live and learn.

Last time around they did it with HSBC, and then a couple weeks later another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom