Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #661
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 11,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom2021 View Post
I just looked - you are correct. My account shows 4% for the first $3K and 1% for anything above. Sorry for the confusion - I don't think it dropped overnight it apparently was 4% all along since my July stmt says 4%.
It's a bit tempting, as it's $90 per year compared to just leaving my money in Ally.
__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2020, 12:01 PM   #662
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
It's a bit tempting, as it's $90 per year compared to just leaving my money in Ally.
If you have PNC bank in your area, $50/$200/$300 bonus for $500/$2000/$5000 in direct deposits (with ACH counting as direct deposit from a number of other banks).

Account must be opened by 8/31 and direct deposit within 60 days.

https://www.pnc.com/en/personal-bank...-overview.html
njhowie is offline  
Old 08-23-2020, 12:57 PM   #663
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 5,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
That's actually pretty good... not good enough for me to become a T-Mobile customer but if I was I'd look into it.



I agree. I think itís 1% even for non customers which ainít half bad either but Iím not gonna open another account to get ~20 bps. I assume itís not FDIC.
__________________
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is offline  
Old 08-23-2020, 02:25 PM   #664
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom2021 View Post

I'm hoping Navy Fed CU will keep their $3K annual CD at 3.5%. It has been a great little perk. A free hundred bucks times two is not a bad thing especially in the absence of any other good opportunities.
The last time I looked their CD high was 1% and 1.25%.
If you or a member of your family is or was military you will qualify for membership.
I should probably know the answer to this as I've been an NFCU member forever...can anyone, regardless of how many other certificates they have there, buy these "Easy Start" certificates as long as they don't have more than one at any given time? I think I've always just assumed from the name and the low maximum that they were intended to get young service members in the thrift habit.
__________________
friar1610
friar1610 is offline  
Old 08-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #665
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 5,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I should probably know the answer to this as I've been an NFCU member forever...can anyone, regardless of how many other certificates they have there, buy these "Easy Start" certificates as long as they don't have more than one at any given time? I think I've always just assumed from the name and the low maximum that they were intended to get young service members in the thrift habit.
NFCU doesn't make it easy to follow. They have EasyStart Certificates which have mediocre rates of .5/.8/.8/.9 for 6/12/18/24 months. You can add funds to theses any time, no limits and you can have more than one.

They also have a Special EasyStart Certificate. One per member. 3.5 % for 12 months, add funds at anytime upto limit of $3000
__________________
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is offline  
Old 08-23-2020, 11:43 PM   #666
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 11,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
If you have PNC bank in your area, $50/$200/$300 bonus for $500/$2000/$5000 in direct deposits (with ACH counting as direct deposit from a number of other banks).

Account must be opened by 8/31 and direct deposit within 60 days.

https://www.pnc.com/en/personal-bank...-overview.html
This sounds interesting.

Do qualifying Direct Deposits get any special notation compared to ACH deposits ?

I did find this site which suggests what qualifies for each bank. Of course I notice for PNC, that Ally does and doesn't qualify, so Ally seems a bit iffy for a transfer.
https://www.hustlermoneyblog.com/wha...nt-page-2/#PNC
__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is offline  
Old 08-24-2020, 02:47 AM   #667
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
This sounds interesting.

Do qualifying Direct Deposits get any special notation compared to ACH deposits ?

I did find this site which suggests what qualifies for each bank. Of course I notice for PNC, that Ally does and doesn't qualify, so Ally seems a bit iffy for a transfer.
https://www.hustlermoneyblog.com/wha...nt-page-2/#PNC
From what I've seen based on comments of those who have done it, no. I did this recently with the Citizens Bank bonus. It required a one-time direct deposit and I did it with Chase ACH - description shows "Jpmorgan Chase Ext Trnsfr". Nothing that indicates direct deposit, it was the only transaction I did in the account, and three months later the bonus was credited.
njhowie is offline  
Old 08-24-2020, 08:53 AM   #668
Recycles dryer sheets
Happyras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Redmond
Posts: 429
Just saying...yesterday I set up a t-Mobile money account and it required deposit by 8/28, but no way to do so for weeks until you either get their debit card or you complete a ETF set up with another bank. I downloaded their mobile ap and wrote a check to deposit directly. Today, they denied the check, as it was considered third party even though made out to them. I do not like games and run around and this leaves me pretty unsatisfied. You can not write a check for deposit from another bank, I know I have done so for at least 50 years at other banks so this is not right. Also, when I tried to set up a link with my Fido, their routing number is not valid as it is a commercial bank, same issue with Personal Capital. Certainly not worth the hassel for $10/month interest on the $3K limit. I am canceling my account today and I think I will buy some more preferred stock instead to sock away the 3 grand.
Happyras is offline  
Old 08-24-2020, 10:20 AM   #669
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 11,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyras View Post
Just saying...yesterday I set up a t-Mobile money account and it required deposit by 8/28, but no way to do so for weeks until you either get their debit card or you complete a ETF set up with another bank. I downloaded their mobile ap and wrote a check to deposit directly. Today, they denied the check, as it was considered third party even though made out to them. I do not like games and run around and this leaves me pretty unsatisfied. You can not write a check for deposit from another bank, I know I have done so for at least 50 years at other banks so this is not right. Also, when I tried to set up a link with my Fido, their routing number is not valid as it is a commercial bank, same issue with Personal Capital. Certainly not worth the hassel for $10/month interest on the $3K limit. I am canceling my account today and I think I will buy some more preferred stock instead to sock away the 3 grand.
Thanks... It's informative to know there could be some issues. I wonder if the check was made out to you would it work ?
__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is offline  
Old 08-29-2020, 07:45 AM   #670
Recycles dryer sheets
Mo Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: .
Posts: 376
I think I've got the right thread, but if not, please advise.

I used to earn 1.5% at Barclays, in a savings account. Now it's .006.

I have pondered CDs, but frankly, I'm a bit lazy; I just want to move money in and out of a savings account and not worry about CD terms of 1 year, 6 months, etc.

Any suggestions as to a better savings account rate?
__________________
ďWe always may be what we might have been.Ē -- Adelaide Anne Procter
Mo Money is offline  
Old 08-29-2020, 07:51 AM   #671
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 29,180
Online savings (Ally, Discover Bank, Capital One) are in the 0.8% range currently.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline  
Old 08-29-2020, 08:11 AM   #672
Recycles dryer sheets
lucky penny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Online savings (Ally, Discover Bank, Capital One) are in the 0.8% range currently.
American Express Personal Savings and Penfed's Premium Online Savings are also at .8%, but rates everywhere are sinking fast.

CD rates are lower now than the savings rates but also sinking. E.g., AE's 2-yr CD is at .6%
lucky penny is offline  
Old 08-29-2020, 08:58 AM   #673
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 29,180
If you qualify for membership, Navy Federal 1-year CDs are at 0.9%.... 0.95% for $100k+. Their 1-year EasyStart CD which allows additonal deposits is 0.8% so you could lock in today's online rates for a year subject to EWP.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline  
Old 08-29-2020, 09:10 AM   #674
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 12,099
Ally bank has 11 month CD's that offer quite a bit more than your bank and have no penalty if you close them early. Lock it in quickly. I have already heard of some online banks going down to 0.5% on the High Yield accounts. The CDs can't be far behind.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline  
Old 09-02-2020, 12:03 AM   #675
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,180
This one was good for a chuckle...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sa.jpg (27.2 KB, 61 views)
njhowie is offline  
Old 09-02-2020, 06:20 AM   #676
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 29,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
This one was good for a chuckle...
Perhaps they should rename themselves dumbasset
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline  
Old 09-02-2020, 06:46 AM   #677
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
I think I've got the right thread, but if not, please advise.

I used to earn 1.5% at Barclays, in a savings account. Now it's .006.

I have pondered CDs, but frankly, I'm a bit lazy; I just want to move money in and out of a savings account and not worry about CD terms of 1 year, 6 months, etc.

Any suggestions as to a better savings account rate?

Not .006, it's .60; at least mine is. Several of the online banks I deal with have lowered their rates for savings accounts and CD's.
splitwdw is offline  
Old 09-02-2020, 06:50 AM   #678
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 29,180
Or to be clear... 0.60%
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline  
Old 09-02-2020, 06:58 AM   #679
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Dash man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Limerick
Posts: 3,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I should probably know the answer to this as I've been an NFCU member forever...can anyone, regardless of how many other certificates they have there, buy these "Easy Start" certificates as long as they don't have more than one at any given time? I think I've always just assumed from the name and the low maximum that they were intended to get young service members in the thrift habit.


DW and I just opened a NFCU Special Easy Start certificate each at 3.5% for 12 months event though we have other certificates with them. So yes, you can always have one. They also just made a change to allow rolling over the certificate at maturity in another Special Easy Start certificate. They are still a max of $3,000, but an individual and spouse can each open their own for a total of $6,000.
Dash man is online now  
Old 09-02-2020, 07:55 AM   #680
Recycles dryer sheets
lucky penny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
DW and I just opened a NFCU Special Easy Start certificate each at 3.5% for 12 months event though we have other certificates with them. So yes, you can always have one. They also just made a change to allow rolling over the certificate at maturity in another Special Easy Start certificate. They are still a max of $3,000, but an individual and spouse can each open their own for a total of $6,000.
Only available to members who have direct deposit & a checking account.
lucky penny is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2019 - Please post updates here almost there FIRE and Money 929 01-01-2020 11:09 AM
Noticed more people holding signs "need work or food" rayinpenn Other topics 3 05-03-2015 02:51 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:34 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.