Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 09:21 PM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Harley.....so glad you were clever and able to have the transfer reversed. Sounds like you figured it out before it was reported here?
Pretty much at the same time. Once again, greed was driving me. I wanted to get it done before the rates dropped.

I've done more research through the evening, and there are so many things that should have tipped me off. I used to work in network security, for craps sake. No way I should have fallen for this.

Most recent research: I did an nslookup of the domain [mod edit - removed link, appears it was a scam], and this is what I got.

DNS Records for: '[mod edit - removed link, appears it was a scam]'

Returned Data

Name TTL Until Refresh Class Type Data
[mod edit - removed link, appears it was a scam] 86400 IN A 176.121.14.147
[mod edit - removed link, appears it was a scam] 86400 IN NS ns1.reg.ru.
[mod edit - removed link, appears it was a scam] 86400 IN NS ns2.reg.ru.
[mod edit - removed link, appears it was a scam] 86400 IN SOA ns1.reg.ru. hostmaster.ns1.reg.ru. 1583911361 14400 3600 604800 10800

Nothing suspicious there, is there?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2020, 09:29 PM   #222
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Glad you dodged that bullet, you got incredibly lucky.
Thank you for sharing all the red flags that you ignored. I would add googling the phone number which I did and it was used for IRS scams a few years back. On the other hand , I found that they are A+ with BBB though not BBB accedited under DMG Securites but when I check them, there is a history from 1986 of fraud. (James was aquitted but Mark is a relative of James)
At a minimum I would suggest that you contact the BBB and relate your story to them. I do remember a BBB scandal some years back where some really bad companies were able to pay them for a premium rating, this may be one of these fake ratings.
Here is some stuff I found on DMG Securities, there is definitely a family connection between these 2 businesses.

https://www.bbb.org/us/va/great-fall...041317/details

https://brokercheck.finra.org/firm/summary/15480

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/05/02/b...st-jersey.html

https://www.glassdoor.com/profile/jo...ws-E313196.htm

https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/foru...-heard-of-them
Old 03-17-2020, 10:18 PM   #223
Give me a forum ...

I don't think the Mark Guntle from DMG Securities has anything to do with the pseudo-Mark Guntle from [mod edit - removed link, appears it was a scam], other than having his identity stolen. When I spoke to the legit Guntle today, it was very definitely not the same person's voice. And I had to go through receptionists and other people to get to him, as opposed to calling DMGwealthadvisors, where "Mark Guntle" answered the phone every time (another red flag). I appreciate the information you posted, but I don't want to imply that there's anything wrong with DMG Securities. I also don't know if they're honest or not, but I'm pretty sure they don't have anything to do with the scam I fell for.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:04 PM   #224
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Harley.... So Glad you got your $$$ back, that was an amazing story.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:57 AM   #225

NJHowie; if I might ask where did you find this deal in the first place?
Old 03-18-2020, 01:10 PM   #226
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow! Thank the great Lord you stopped the transfer. I'm extremely guilty of rushing things without paying attention as I should to get the higher rate. One reason I really like the building cd like NF has. I recently opened a cpl cd with NF and they used what they called a smart pay, I think it was, where they did the transfer over the phone. My local had no idea what it was or even that it had been done by NF. Was really nervous even though it was NF but was able to open the cd with $50 then more later.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #227
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

Most recent research: I did an nslookup of the domain [mod edit - removed link, appears it was a scam], and this is what I got.

DNS Records for:[mod edit - removed link, appears it was a scam]

Returned Data

Name TTL Until Refresh Class Type Data
[mod edit - removed link, appears it was a scam] 86400 IN A 176.121.14.147
[mod edit - removed link, appears it was a scam]. 86400 IN NS ns1.reg.ru.
[mod edit - removed link, appears it was a scam] 86400 IN NS ns2.reg.ru.
[mod edit - removed link, appears it was a scam] 86400 IN SOA ns1.reg.ru. hostmaster.ns1.reg.ru. 1583911361 14400 3600 604800 10800

Nothing suspicious there, is there?
Not a coder so please tell me what is suspicious there?
Old 03-18-2020, 01:17 PM   #228
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Not a coder so please tell me what is suspicious there?
I'm not either but I know "ru" = Russia.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:19 PM   #229
Give me a forum ...

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry. It's a domain registered in Russia, which might be a bit suspicious for a DC area Wealth Management company.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:20 PM   #230
Give me a forum ...

I'm taking advantage of the 1% bonus from Ally (max of $250).
Have to
  1. open an account if don't already have one and
  2. then sign up for it before moving in money.
https://www.ally.com/go/bank/bonus/

It's available for existing customers (love Ally) in which case only need to do step 2. (it asks name and email) no need to log in.

They send you an email confirming the move.
Then move in money and keep accounts at that NET level until June 30th.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:21 PM   #231
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry. It's a domain registered in Russia, which might be a bit suspicious for a DC area Wealth Management company.
Got it!
Old 03-18-2020, 01:23 PM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Since I got my 53 bank bonus money of $500 , I phoned them and incredibly to me, was able to close the money market account over the phone, and switch the checking account to a free checking account (limited to IL and few other states).

This will allow me to use that $25K to get the Ally bonus of $250 via the ACH link I already have in Ally as that's where the money came from originally 3 months ago

Didn't have go face to face and risk a covid-19 bonus.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:41 PM   #233
Give me a forum ...

Nice. Might as well play the (relatively) small stakes games until better opportunities come along. Every little bit helps.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:35 PM   #234

The link has changed again today, now they are an HSBC Company cleared by HFD Global Clearing.

Who would we report this scam website to?
Old 03-18-2020, 02:55 PM   #235
Give me a forum ...

On a related note, so I sent in the application although no monies sent.
However they have my parents and my SS #/mother maiden names.
So we all have credit freezes and fraud alerts at the bureaus.
I am not collecting SS yet, but was wondering what risk do my parents have with a potential redirection of SS payments possibly.
I will call the SS offices, but was wondering on thoughts here.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:08 PM   #236

And did you click on a link to download the application? If so there may be some nefarious bots already creeping around your computer stealing all kinds of personal information/financial data from you. If you google how to report identity theft, one of first to come up is usa.gov and they take reports on online and international scams. This could be the beginning of a nightmare.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:35 PM   #237
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
The link has changed again today, now they are an HSBC Company cleared by HFD Global Clearing.

I mentioned earlier the website www.scam.com but it's just another forum.
All the legit companies they are pretending to be affiliated should have a contact for suspicious activity.

I checked the FDIC list and there was no listing for Community Bank so that may be another checkpoint but obviously that won't work since they are generally claiming affiliation with legit banks.

Can I suggest a separate thread for this topic? I wanna hear more but it is OT.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:02 PM   #238
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I did an FBI Internet Fraud report. Other than that I don't think there's much I can do, since it's a Russian based website. It's not hosted by any reputable and responsive webhost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I am not collecting SS yet, but was wondering what risk do my parents have with a potential redirection of SS payments possibly.
That's a good point, and I guess I'll have to do that too. Although, seriously, I think everybody's SS is out there already. At the same time, by pulling the money back before he got it I probably pissed him off, so I should be safe rather than sorry. And I'll be interested in hearing what SS tells you. We haven't started SS yet, but I've got accounts with the SSA for both of us, so I'm hoping we would be notified of any activity.

Quote:
And did you click on a link to download the application? If so there may be some nefarious bots already creeping around your computer stealing all kinds of personal information/financial data from you. If you google how to report identity theft, one of first to come up is usa.gov and they take reports on online and international scams. This could be the beginning of a nightmare.
There were no links. That should have been a red flag in itself. You had to call in and request the application, which was emailed to you as a PDF. I did run the PDF through a virus checker, and didn't get anything. So hopefully that's one less thing to have to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I mentioned earlier the website www.scam.com but it's just another forum.
All the legit companies they are pretending to be affiliated should have a contact for suspicious activity.

I checked the FDIC list and there was no listing for Community Bank so that may be another checkpoint but obviously that won't work since they are generally claiming affiliation with legit banks.
It's Community Federal Savings Bank. FDIC# is 57129. They're legit, but all they do is hold the account that the victim wires the money to. Then Transferwise has access to that account, and picks up the money from there and sends it overseas.

I got an email from Transferwise saying they would refuse the transaction when they got it. But that was already after I had gotten the money back, so I think it was CFSB that reversed the wire. I spoke to their fraud department yesterday and they put in whatever process they had to deal with these sorts of things. Again, I was lucky I got on it right away, because if I had waited 3.5 hours everything would have been closed and I would have been hosed.

Quote:
Can I suggest a separate thread for this topic? I wanna hear more but it is OT.
I'd have no problem with that, but I'm not sure it has that much more to be said. Whatever the mods think.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:23 PM   #239
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I actually took a picture of the application and sent it to them due our scanner not working.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:32 PM   #240
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Have you and your parents "claimed" your SS accounts? It is a form of 2 Factor Authentication to prevent unauthorized access.
Search for mySS.gov (something like that).