Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 07:21 AM   #521
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
I am sure this post will jinx it, but viobank is still at 1.35% for the high yield savings.

Yep, jinxed it. Down to 1.21% now, which is still better than most.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2020, 07:24 AM   #522
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
As of this morning, it is already down to 1%. When we opened it 6/1 it was 1.3%, but we were new accounts with each getting 500 in bonus. Still worth it for 3 months.
+1 it was actually 1.5% when we opened if so if we had kept for a year with the bonus it would have been 2.5%... now look more like 2.0%... if their rates has stayed good then I would have left it there for a while but it looks like I'll be moving as soon as the bonus is credited.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 06-24-2020, 07:33 AM   #523
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
Yep, jinxed it. Down to 1.21% now, which is still better than most.
I am showing
Interest rate: 1.34%

... ?
Old 06-24-2020, 08:41 AM   #524

^^^ Try refreshing your browser. It is 1.21%.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #525
Give me a forum ...

Still a few online savings rates of 1.35% around.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #526
Give me a forum ...

+1
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (1.36 MB, 29 views)

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 06-24-2020, 09:04 AM   #527
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1
hrmm.. interesting.. so the front page says a lower value versus my actual account. I logged in and it lists the higher value. Maybe they havent updated it on the backend for those with accounts, at least the display.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:11 PM   #528
Recycles dryer sheets

Two or three years ago I opened an Ascent Money Market account at Customer's Bank (min $25k has to be maintained). Throughout the time they would reset the rate and guarantee the rate for a variable amount of time. Last time was January when they locked the rate in at 2.25% APY through end of June. I expected a sizable cut and today received an e-mail that the APY will drop to 1.25% July 1st through end of the month. Still a very competitive rate. I don't believe they are offering this product to new customers any longer so glad I'm in.

Also super happy I locked in the 2.8% GTE 3yr add-on CD last August. Rolled $$'s from a maturing Navy FCU 3.25% into it last week so didn't lose to much interest. I intend to fill the GTE up to the insured max as CDs roll off the ladder.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #529
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I’m maxed out at Ally, using the 11month no penalty at 1.35-1.50%. Looking for where to put additional funds.

Looked at CapOne. 1% on savings, less than that on CDs.

Doesn’t seem worth the bother to transfer around to earn 1% or less vs just leaving in my brokerage.

If I dared leave the house to do something, I could start to blow the dough. But not doing right now.

Maybe I’ll buy that Tesla - car, not the stock.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:04 PM   #530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Lili View Post

Also super happy I locked in the 2.8% GTE 3yr add-on CD last August. Rolled $$'s from a maturing Navy FCU 3.25% into it last week so didn't lose to much interest. I intend to fill the GTE up to the insured max as CDs roll off the ladder.
Ditto. We opened the 4 year at GTE last year at 2.94% for 4 years and added the funds from our Navy Fed CD 3.25% which matured this week. Will add to it each year as our ladder matures until 2023 unless of course rates return to previous competitive terms.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:05 AM   #531

American Express High Yield Savings Account drops to 1.0% from 1.15% effective today. Unlike buying a 1% CD, these accounts are variable rate and can change at any time. Right now it looks like Amex has been adjusting their rate about once per month.

- Rita
Old 06-25-2020, 09:29 AM   #532
Give me a forum ...

I recently tried to refinance one of my houses, and failed due to the debt/income ratio requirement. They (Chase) just won't take assets into consideration, no matter how much. Or maybe if we were in the 8 figure range they might make an exception, but a mere 7 figures doesn't cut it.

Combine that with the incredibly low rates for cash and bonds, and I'm seriously considering paying off one of the mortgages. The rate is 3.875%, which is pretty darn low, but I can't match it anymore. Unless I invest in equities, which I am expecting to tank for a significant period of time. Whether I'm right or wrong doesn't really matter, since it's too risky for me.

So I think I'll pay off the older and higher of the two. Then I can look into refinancing the other one at an even lower rate. I wonder how long the one will have to be off the books before it doesn't affect the other?

Edit: I was thinking about this because of what Brewer said in this thread about paying the mortgage, but if the mods think this would be better in the refinance thread feel free to move it.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:32 AM   #533
Give me a forum ...

Harley, I am coming to a similar conclusion. I hate giving up liquidity, but at some point it makes no sense to keep paying the rate.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 06-25-2020, 09:49 AM   #534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
American Express High Yield Savings Account drops to 1.0% from 1.15% effective today. Unlike buying a 1% CD, these accounts are variable rate and can change at any time. Right now it looks like Amex has been adjusting their rate about once per month.

- Rita
And their CD rates indicate what's expected next: e.g., .40% for 1 yr, .90% for 4 yrs, & you have to go to 5 yrs to get 1.10%.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:10 AM   #535
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Combine that with the incredibly low rates for cash and bonds, and I'm seriously considering paying off one of the mortgages. The rate is 3.875%, which is pretty darn low, but I can't match it anymore. Unless I invest in equities, which I am expecting to tank for a significant period of time. Whether I'm right or wrong doesn't really matter, since it's too risky for me.

I'd pay it off, why lose (pay out) about 3% extra than you take in, especially as the income side could be taxed reducing it more.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:49 PM   #536
Give me a forum ...

I’m also looking at the mortgage as a place to dump some cash instead of zero rate savings. I’m looking to refi right now and it seems they’re ignoring IRA income on my application. I’d try some other lenders before settling for 3.875.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:10 PM   #537
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi All. Am coming close to receiving my bonus offer for the CapitalOne 360 offer and am looking for my next promotion for my cash possession. Was considering the Citi $700 promotion for holding $50K for 60 days. It seems to be the best one I can find. Any other recommendations or comments about the Citi offer?

https://banking.citi.com/cbol/checki...DC6F97E9EE42F2
Old 07-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #538
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergLust View Post
Hi All. Am coming close to receiving my bonus offer for the CapitalOne 360 offer and am looking for my next promotion for my cash possession. Was considering the Citi $700 promotion for holding $50K for 60 days. It seems to be the best one I can find. Any other recommendations or comments about the Citi offer?

https://banking.citi.com/cbol/checki...DC6F97E9EE42F2
Seems like a great offer. Didn't see any catches.
Effective 8.4% rate for 2 months.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:15 PM   #539
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Seems like a great offer. Didn't see any catches.
Effective 8.4% rate for 2 months.
Thanks for having a look! I too think it seemed quite straight forward. They do note that it could take up to 90 days after the 60 day period to provide the promotion payment, and if you have less than the 50k in linked accounts (after the 60 days) they will charge you a monthly fee. I do not have anything else at Citi. I'm not sure if I could product switch after the 60 days to a lower tier account..and still be eligible for the promotion payment. I may inquire about that.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:15 AM   #540
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergLust View Post
Thanks for having a look! I too think it seemed quite straight forward. They do note that it could take up to 90 days after the 60 day period to provide the promotion payment, and if you have less than the 50k in linked accounts (after the 60 days) they will charge you a monthly fee. I do not have anything else at Citi. I'm not sure if I could product switch after the 60 days to a lower tier account..and still be eligible for the promotion payment. I may inquire about that.
Please report back to us on that. Thanks,
Closed Thread