Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-08-2021, 03:19 PM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Had an email today from Marcus offering an extra 0.10% on their online savings account if you're an AARP member. It's 0.5% so 0.6% with this deal. I like that so I opened an account just so I can move some cash over there.

https://www.marcus.com/us/en/savings/aarp-rate-bonus
That sounded like a good deal when I posted it last week, but I'm wondering now. I opened a Marcus account and tried to link it with another bank by having them do the usual two trial deposits. Nothing appeared at the other bank, so I called them, went through half an hour of voicemail hell, then finally got a rep. He went through the entire thing with me to start over. Got their confirming email that they would make the two trial deposits, but it has been another five days now and still nothing at the other bank.

Has anyone else had this problem with them? I always do it this way because I don't like to give my login details out. Never had a problem before with trial deposits.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2021, 03:57 PM   #182
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That sounded like a good deal when I posted it last week, but I'm wondering now. I opened a Marcus account and tried to link it with another bank by having them do the usual two trial deposits. Nothing appeared at the other bank, so I called them, went through half an hour of voicemail hell, then finally got a rep. He went through the entire thing with me to start over. Got their confirming email that they would make the two trial deposits, but it has been another five days now and still nothing at the other bank.

Has anyone else had this problem with them? I always do it this way because I don't like to give my login details out. Never had a problem before with trial deposits.
Thanks for the heads up about the AARP bonus. I added my AARP number and the % immediately went to 0.06. My two trial deposits worked just fine and the $100 bonus posted just past the 60 day mark.
OldConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:09 PM   #183
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ditto on the thanks for the link to the AARP interest bump. Sure, it's $10 a year on a $10k balance, but it all counts! I like Marcus - they keep coming up with little bonus encouragements that apply to current members - not all banks do that.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:47 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

I took advantage of the AARP bonus quite awhile ago. I was with them when they were under GE. I have Marcus links to 3 outside banks. Donít ever recall having an issue. The outbound xfers are very quick. Iíd say hang in there and and maybe try linking to a different bank. I think I only have Marcus linked to one account that I can push funds from.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:53 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Marcus is also offering 9 month CD @ .65% available till 5/31
Old 05-13-2021, 05:41 PM   #186
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just established a T-Mobile bank account. At 1.00%, it seems about the best anyone is offering.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:06 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Anybody know which credit bureau Marcus uses?
Old 05-13-2021, 06:10 PM   #188
Dryer sheet wannabe

Timely posts. I just had Marcus cd's coming due and plowed some of it back into the AARP bonus and some more into the promotional 9 month.
Trailwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:16 AM   #189

NASA Federal Credit Union has a 9 month special CD for .65%. Min $10K new money.

https://www.nasafcu.com/personal/che...icates---rates

Also, I-bonds are now paying 3.54% until October 2021. There is a limit on how much you can purchase ($10k/yr/person electronically, an additional $5K/yr in paper with your federal refund, if you have that).

(53, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 57. I am semi-retired as of 2015 (occasional part-time self-employment), Mr. Simple Girl is fully retired as of 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:28 AM   #190
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
TIAA Money Market fund now yielding 0.00%
I realized that I still had some IRA funds in it a couple of months ago after doing a rollover. I moved it to an inflation-linked bond fund.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:07 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
I just established a T-Mobile bank account. At 1.00%, it seems about the best anyone is offering.

This is the first Iíve heard of this one. We have cash at DiscoverBank earning .40% and Iíd love to get better interest than that.

Anyone have experience with T-Mobile Money account? Do I need to unfreeze a credit report before applying? Iím always surprised when they do I credit check for opening a bank account.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:25 PM   #192
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
This is the first Iíve heard of this one. We have cash at DiscoverBank earning .40% and Iíd love to get better interest than that.

Anyone have experience with T-Mobile Money account? Do I need to unfreeze a credit report before applying? Iím always surprised when they do I credit check for opening a bank account.
No hard inquiry reported for me. Transfers can be a bit quirky. There's a $3000 limit from within T-Mobile Money but you can push more from an external account into TM. I've pushed $25k from Ally Bank into TM. Also, I was able to add USAA as an external within TM but was unable to add TM as an external account in USAA. Not that big a deal since I can transfer from USAA to Ally.

One other oddity - transfers from Ally to TM are indicate that the funds are going to "Customers Bank." This was a bit confusing at first since I also have a Customer's Bank account.

IMO the hassles are worth it to get 1% on my idle cash.
OldConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:37 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldConch View Post
No hard inquiry reported for me. Transfers can be a bit quirky. There's a $3000 limit from within T-Mobile Money but you can push more from an external account into TM. I've pushed $25k from Ally Bank into TM. Also, I was able to add USAA as an external within TM but was unable to add TM as an external account in USAA. Not that big a deal since I can transfer from USAA to Ally.

One other oddity - transfers from Ally to TM are indicate that the funds are going to "Customers Bank." This was a bit confusing at first since I also have a Customer's Bank account.

IMO the hassles are worth it to get 1% on my idle cash.
Thanks for the info. I checked this out including this positive review by Clark Howard

https://clark.com/personal-finance-c...-mobile-money/

Then I signed up! Easy to do and I should get my home bank account connected early next week. I don't have a T Mobile phone so it will be just the 1% for me. But that's 250% of the .40% DiscoverBank is paying. Makes it look like a BIG number!
Old 05-15-2021, 11:11 AM   #194
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Thanks for the info. I checked this out including this positive review by Clark Howard

https://clark.com/personal-finance-c...-mobile-money/

Then I signed up! Easy to do and I should get my home bank account connected early next week. I don't have a T Mobile phone so it will be just the 1% for me. But that's 250% of the .40% DiscoverBank is paying. Makes it look like a BIG number!
We have T-Mobile bank too. The extra 4% on the first $3k (T-Mobile customers) is a PITA to be honest, since you have to make 10 debit card transactions in a month, and they all have to post before the end of the month, to keep the rate for the next month.

I do this by stopping at some local gas stations and just pumping in a gallon of gas. And no, you can't re-pump immediately at the same station, since they decline the card (probably a security measure in case the card was stolen).

I prefer using my other credit cards in general. 2% for all purchases on my Citicard, and 5% on gas with my SAM's card, so the debit card is a hassle for the extra interest rate. Not sure how long I'll bother with the gas station Tom Foolery.

Other than that, so far I don't have a problem with them. Setting up my external bank went smoothly, though I haven't tried to transfer money out yet. I should test that myself.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:19 AM   #195
Recycles dryer sheets

Happy to report that my GTE Financial add-on CD is still accepting deposits. As my other CD's mature I've been transferring them over. Nice to be still able to get 3.04% in this environment and it does not mature until August 2024.
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
Happy to report that my GTE Financial add-on CD is still accepting deposits. As my other CD's mature I've been transferring them over. Nice to be still able to get 3.04% in this environment and it does not mature until August 2024.
We added a couple beneficiaries to give our NCUA insurance some breathing room back in January and added more to GTE. They are quite nice about taking additional deposits to the addon 3% CD these days, unlike when they started getting mobbed back around the end of last year.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:21 PM   #197
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
We are at our NCUA limits for our 2 GTE accounts. Wish we opened more of them.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:31 PM   #198
Give me a forum ...

+1

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:45 PM   #199

About the T-Mobile Money account....

I opened the account a few days ago and today the test transactions were at my home bank so I was able to verify the connection with T-Mobile. I'm ready to transfer some money from that bank and T-Mobile says I have to wait for the debit card to arrive and activate it before I can do the transfer.

How long did it take before you got the debit card? I don't need the debit card, I plan on parking money at T-Mobile like a savings account. They seem to think I have to have one.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:33 PM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post
I prefer using my other credit cards in general. 2% for all purchases on my Citicard, and 5% on gas with my SAM's card, so the debit card is a hassle for the extra interest rate. Not sure how long I'll bother with the gas station Tom Foolery.
I am finding I 'earn' more money via my cash rewards cards these days than my bank savings accounts and CD's.