Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 08:23 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Interesting that their site mentions deterioration by burying. Must be relatively common.

I’m sure with a few layers of protection that I could preserve cash. Vacuum pack, put in Tupperware, and put that in a styrofoam box type of thing. The thing is, it’s just a lot easier to bury my gold bars. Midnight Gardening
The last time I did any midnight gardening, I found somebody's skull with a small round hole in it. I re-buried it after I remembered that some of cousin Vinny's associates were not pleasant people.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 09:00 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Intermediate and long treasury interest rates have risen quite a bit YTD. I wonder if this means bank savings rates will not drop anymore.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:33 PM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have 3 CD’s maturing on 3/29 I will miss the 3% rate. They are currently offering a 1 year rate at 1% and a 2 year rate at 1.25% but a 50 k minimum. The 50k isn’t a problem for me but my 21 yo only has 11k and I don’t want to co mingle the funds.

I may go for the 1 year if they will waive the 50k minimum for my DD. This is through my DH former employer credit union.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:35 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Intermediate and long treasury interest rates have risen quite a bit YTD. I wonder if this means bank savings rates will not drop anymore.
Was wondering the same, but not sure of any rising rates either, since the short end of the curve hasn't moved in tandem with the long end.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:31 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

I just looked at what Navy Federal is currently offering since I have some 1.35% add-on CDs maturing in May and some 2.25% CDs maturing in August... todays rates stink.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-04-2021, 07:25 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Rates on MYGAs seem to be trending up. I see 2.7 for 5yrs for an A insurer, up from 2.5ish They were edging up before the T-Notes jumped up lately.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:18 AM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergLust View Post
I just finished the Citi Priority package. Deposited money to meet the requirements and didn't touch. All went fine. Depending on the state you live in, you might be about to do a similar thing with Huntington, for $500 bonus for $25K. I mentioned the above in a recent post.

This offer expires 4/1/2021, is there still time to complete the steps?
Old 03-09-2021, 05:33 AM   #128
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHONDAVE View Post
This offer expires 4/1/2021, is there still time to complete the steps?
If you're referring to the Citipackage paying $700 per (2)accounts, the answer is yes. I opened 4 accounts on two social security numbers in minutes and linked to a different bank to fund the accounts. The whole process took less than half an hour.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:23 AM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
If you're referring to the Citipackage paying $700 per (2)accounts, the answer is yes. I opened 4 accounts on two social security numbers in minutes and linked to a different bank to fund the accounts. The whole process took less than half an hour.

The Citi Gold Account Package says that you must first open regular or interest checking account, then enroll in the cash checking bonus offer, then open a savings account in an eligible package in that order. I do not see any mailing address restrictions here.

I would use 2 different funding banks also.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:46 AM   #130

Actually there is a link on one of their pages advertising this package that you can click to get to the page where you then open the checking and then savings account. The page walks you through the process. Just make sure that when you are ready to set up the second group of two accounts that you start again from the link.

I called after I followed this procedure and was told that the offer code had been added to the accounts. You don't have to fund the entire $50,000 on day one. But the 60 days does not start until the full $50,000 is in the accounts. Also I'm sure that there is some sort of expiration on how long you have to fund the accounts. I did it the next day.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

AMEX just dropped to 0.40 percent for "High" Yield Savings

I wonder when this trend starts to reverse itself; 10 year treasury is at 1.534 as I type this.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:48 AM   #132

I'm contemplating doing the Citi Priority Account Package for DH and I as well, as I have some CD's coming due and I don't want to tie all of the $ up in my GTE add-on CD this early.

So, if I understand it correctly, I would:

1. Open two individual checking accounts by 4/1
2. Enroll in the Cash Bonus offer by the 30th day
3. Open a new savings account for each of us by the 30th day
4. Fund either the checking/savings account for each of us with $50K each
5. Keep the $ there for at least 60 days and keep the eligible account open for up to 90 days afterwards until the cash bonus is paid

If they take the full 90 days then your money is held for 5 months, and on $50K this equates to approximately 3.36% annualized return.

Questions:

1. Is the above correct?
2. Is it better to keep the $ in the checking account due to the potential fee for minimum balance below $10K? Or best to split $ between the two accounts, keeping at least $10K in the checking? I'm not sure if I am reading the fine print correctly.
3. Are there any account closing fees?

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 03-11-2021, 12:09 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I'm contemplating doing the Citi Priority Account Package for DH and I as well, as I have some CD's coming due and I don't want to tie all of the $ up in my GTE add-on CD this early.

So, if I understand it correctly, I would:

1. Open two individual checking accounts by 4/1
2. Enroll in the Cash Bonus offer by the 30th day
3. Open a new savings account for each of us by the 30th day
4. Fund either the checking/savings account for each of us with $50K each
5. Keep the $ there for at least 60 days and keep the eligible account open for up to 90 days afterwards until the cash bonus is paid

If they take the full 90 days then your money is held for 5 months, and on $50K this equates to approximately 3.36% annualized return.

Questions:

1. Is the above correct?
2. Is it better to keep the $ in the checking account due to the potential fee for minimum balance below $10K? Or best to split $ between the two accounts, keeping at least $10K in the checking? I'm not sure if I am reading the fine print correctly.
3. Are there any account closing fees?
I did it slightly differently. I followed this link:

https://banking.citibank.com/cbol/ch...7A7B9972A10848

The link leads you through the steps. Read all of the fine print first. Make sure that for the second set of accounts you go back to the original link. Make sure that you leave at least $1 in one of the accounts, as they warn you that an account with no balance can be closed. I called after I set up the accounts and they verified that the bonus code was attached to my accounts. If you want to minimize the amount of time the money is held, don't wait long to fund the full 50K. The sixty days does not begin until after the full 50K is in the account. I believe there are no monthly fees as long as the balance between the 2 accounts exceeds 50K. I don't know about any account closing fees. Once the bonus hits the accounts, it is my intention to consolidate all of the funds into the checking account and then do a pull from Ally to clear out all of the funds.

It took me less than half an hour to do all of this. Very easy. In addition to linking an outside account from the Citi side, I also set up a linked account from the Ally side so that I can pull or push.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:20 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
I did it slightly differently. I followed this link:

https://banking.citibank.com/cbol/ch...7A7B9972A10848

The link leads you through the steps. Read all of the fine print first. Make sure that for the second set of accounts you go back to the original link. Make sure that you leave at least $1 in one of the accounts, as they warn you that an account with no balance can be closed. I called after I set up the accounts and they verified that the bonus code was attached to my accounts. If you want to minimize the amount of time the money is held, don't wait long to fund the full 50K. The sixty days does not begin until after the full 50K is in the account. I believe there are no monthly fees as long as the balance between the 2 accounts exceeds 50K. I don't know about any account closing fees. Once the bonus hits the accounts, it is my intention to consolidate all of the funds into the checking account and then do a pull from Ally to clear out all of the funds.

It took me less than half an hour to do all of this. Very easy. In addition to linking an outside account from the Citi side, I also set up a linked account from the Ally side so that I can pull or push.
Thank you very much for the additional details!!!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 03-11-2021, 12:22 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredunder50 View Post

I wonder when this trend starts to reverse itself; 10 year treasury is at 1.534 as I type this.
Yeah, me to. I was very surprised.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:24 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Thank you very much for the additional details!!!
Once you are set up, you can go on line and hit chat and then ask for a representative and ask if your accounts are set up for the bonus. They will respond that you are and cite the bonus code which is 4HRZBDE95K .
Old 03-11-2021, 02:05 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredunder50 View Post

The short end of the yield curve hasn't really changed too much. The curve has steepened quite a bit.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:01 AM   #138

Live Oak Bank holding at .60% APY for high yield savings. This rate has been in effect since December.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #139

If you live in one of TD Bank's 16 qualifying states, they have a revision of an old offer that will pay up to $500 for new accounts. $300 for opening a checking account, with a qualifying DD of $2,500(60 days) and $200 for opening a savings account with a minimum balance of $20,000(for 90 days). You don't have to do both. You can do one or the other, or both. So a potential $1,000 if we open one for each of us in our household. Bonus paid out within 140 days of meeting criteria, however if an account is closed within 6 months of opening they reserve the right to holdback the bonus from the closeout balance.

Details here: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/targe...nus/#The_Offer
Old 03-20-2021, 10:34 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

I signed up for that TD Bank deal. The account opening process was very easy.