Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 10:38 AM   #281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

American Express Bank announced interest rates on their high yield savings accounts increases from .50% to .60% effective 4/28.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2022, 11:01 AM   #282
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I logged in to CapitalOne a few days ago I noticed they had gone to 0.60% too. Discover Bank still stuck at 0.50%
"... the astrologer who lived in a tumbled old tower up the valley, and put in his nights studying the stars. Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere."
-- Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger
Old 04-28-2022, 11:34 AM   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo29 View Post
When I logged in to CapitalOne a few days ago I noticed they had gone to 0.60% too. Discover Bank still stuck at 0.50%
So is Ally. 0.5%. I’ve been moving cash out of there into short term treasuries.
Old 04-28-2022, 11:40 AM   #284
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

These savings rates are pathetically low. But banks have little incentive to raise them as they are awash in reserves.

Treasuries looking good by comparison.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:14 PM   #285

Was talking to my brokerage / fixed income desk yesterday.
(I have both Credit union and Brokered CD's)
Asking how much of the future rate hikes are already priced into brokered CD's.
Un like banks, they are now paying 3% on 3, 4, 5 and 10 year CD's. And 2.7% on 2 yr. CD's. Navy bumped up to 1.05% and Pen Fed is at 2.5% on the 5 yr. So plan to move most over to the brokerage.
There thought's are they wont go too much higher. And a looming recession in the next year or 2 could once again bring rates back down. No crystal ball here. But plan to load the boat with 5 yr CD's over the next 6 months. Starting next month. I wonder if we will ever see " normal rates" again.... Looking back at the past 5000 years. )
Am OK with 3-3.5% As my retirement plan can work with zero% growth. Worst case scenario.

Side note, when folks start pulling money out of banks and credit unions for better rates. Then they will reluctantly have to raise rates. But its a long lag. Brokered CD's are months ahead of Banks. (In both directions).
Old 04-28-2022, 12:46 PM   #286

Brokered CDs are offered by the Banks. They are just sold by brokers instead of directly from the bank. Interestingly, I notice that recently the same banks will offer a directly sold CD at a rate much lower than they will pay when sold through a broker.

My theory is they have a large number of customers who don't even know about brokered CDs who are sort of "captives' and will just take what they are offered. When they have exhausted that pool of funds, they offer some on the brokered CD market and have to pay market rates.

Also, brokered CDs can't be withdrawn early so they are more a guaranteed source of funds for a given time period than a direct CD is.
"... the astrologer who lived in a tumbled old tower up the valley, and put in his nights studying the stars. Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere."
-- Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger
Old 04-28-2022, 01:38 PM   #287

Well, you have to sell a brokered CD for whatever market will bring at that time.
It can work in your favor. A few years ago one of my brokered CD was paying a higher % than the brokerage was currently offering. Sold with no loss, and picked a point or so with a special 40 month 3 3/4% CD at a credit union. (That one matures next Tues)
Jumped the gun a month ago on a 2 yr at 2% brokerage CD. 4 weeks later they are offering 2 yr CD's at 2.7%. So, if I were to sell now, I would take a big loss. So, I will just hold it. Can't win 'em all!
Old 04-28-2022, 02:08 PM   #288
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
Un like banks, they are now paying 3% on 3, 4, 5 and 10 year CD's. And 2.7% on 2 yr. CD's. Navy bumped up to 1.05% and Pen Fed is at 2.5% on the 5 yr. So plan to move most over to the brokerage.
There thought's are they wont go too much higher. And a looming recession in the next year or 2 could once again bring rates back down. No crystal ball here. But plan to load the boat with 5 yr CD's over the next 6 months. Starting next month. I wonder if we will ever see " normal rates" again.... Looking back at the past 5000 years. )
Am OK with 3-3.5% As my retirement plan can work with zero% growth. Worst case scenario.

Side note, when folks start pulling money out of banks and credit unions for better rates. Then they will reluctantly have to raise rates. But its a long lag. Brokered CD's are months ahead of Banks. (In both directions).
I am also in the camp of rates going a little higher, but not getting anywhere near the inflation rate and we will not have an early 1980's situation again in terms of those rates.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:00 PM   #289

Agree,but secretly would be nice to see a measly 5% on a 5 yr.
(Still below historic norms)
Old 04-28-2022, 05:42 PM   #290

Quote:
Agree,but secretly would be nice to see a measly 5% on a 5 yr.
(Still below historic norms)
Yeah, 4 and 5 percent were what Countrywide and Wachovia were tossing out in 2008. Had a few Countrywides and one decent sized Wachovia. Countrywide went to B of A and that sweet Wachovia went to Wells Fargo. The Wachovia was 5 percent and five years if I recall.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:08 AM   #291

DiscoverBank is at 0.60% this morning.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:37 AM   #292
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
American Express Bank announced interest rates on their high yield savings accounts increases from .50% to .60% effective 4/28.
Discover Bank has been .60% for a while. Not that it matters a whole lot, 0.50 vs. 0.60%.
Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2022 - Please post updates here
Old 04-29-2022, 01:43 PM   #293
Give me a forum ...

Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2022 - Please post updates here

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019
Discover Bank has been .60% for a while. Not that it matters a whole lot, 0.50 vs. 0.60%.

I’m building a ladder of 26 week t bills for money I may need soon. . Twice the above rate.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:21 PM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I’m building a ladder of 26 week t bills for money I may need soon. . Twice the above rate.
I’ve also been gradually moving excess cash from Ally into short term t bills. It’s silly not to double your interest if you have no immediate need for the money. I’m having one mature each month so just in case we need some cash it will be there. If not I’ll just roll it into a new one.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:52 AM   #295
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I see Fidelity is paying 3.20% on 5 yr and 3% on 3 and 4yr CD's now. Do you know if it's possible to get the monthly interest deposited to a bank account on these, or just payable at the end of maturity?
Old 04-30-2022, 08:58 AM   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livefree View Post
I see Fidelity is paying 3.20% on 5 yr and 3% on 3 and 4yr CD's now. Do you know if it's possible to get the monthly interest deposited to a bank account on these, or just payable at the end of maturity?
Most brokered CDs tend to be semi-annual, some are monthly. It should say in the description.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:10 AM   #297

Quote:

Depends on who is selling the CD, as there are dozens of banks listed.
I only have access to see Charles Schwab brokered CD's.
But believe they are all the same as far as interest paid, and not re-invested.

Most Coupon Frequency pays Semi-annually.
The interest is not re-invested into the CD on the brokered CD's I am aware of. But is put into a sav. or other type of account you choose. So, yes after 6 months it could be drawn out monthly.

Ch Sch has been at 3.05% on 5 yr for a week or so. And expect things to climb a bit going forward.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:39 AM   #298
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Most brokered CDs tend to be semi-annual, some are monthly. It should say in the description.
+1
Old 05-02-2022, 11:11 AM   #299

Quote:
I see Fidelity is paying 3.20% on 5 yr and 3% on 3 and 4yr CD's now.
I plan to bite on a 3% 5 year cd if and when PenFed or Andrews FCU get there, and just put 30% of my cash into it, then wait for even higher interest, then deposit more. I have too many separate accounts already, lol. Don't want to sign up for another one, like Fidelity. Wow, how lazy is that, eh?
Old 05-04-2022, 07:19 AM   #300
Administrator

PenFed CD rates as of today:

6 Month 0.60%
12 Month 1.25%
15 Month 1.40%
18 Month 1.60%
2 Year 1.75%
3 Year 2.10%
4 Year 2.25%
5 Year 2.50%
7 Year 2.75%