Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 12:56 PM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

We still get 1.1% on the money market account at Marcus as long as we keep adding friends referrals we can extend it three months at a time at that rate which includes the AAA RP .1% . I am hoping they will soon adjust that rate on their base money market account upward right now we are at the FDIC insurance limit on the one account actually a little bit more and see little reason to move funds until rates settle out.

I think our plan will be to roll some more into SPY with covered calls to hedge. But volatility has gotten a little bit low to see much premium.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2022, 04:30 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just checked Capital One bank. 0.8% for a 12 month CD. Half the t-bill rate.
Not so good.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:15 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

^^^ I had some money in my Vanguard brokerage account that I shouldn't need until 2023 so rather than move it our to my online savings account that only pays 0.50% I bought a UST Bill that matures 12/29/22 that yields 1.15%.

Now I'm looking at the DERI notes (1.10%), GM RightNotes (1.25%) and Toyota IncomeDriver Notes (1.15%) and thinking that I can simplify and do better clawing that money back into my Vanguard brokerage account. It was a different story when 1 year UST were paying next to nothing.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-24-2022, 05:44 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
^^^ I had some money in my Vanguard brokerage account that I shouldn't need until 2023 so rather than move it our to my online savings account that only pays 0.50% I bought a UST Bill that matures 12/29/22 that yields 1.15%.

Now I'm looking at the DERI notes (1.10%), GM RightNotes (1.25%) and Toyota IncomeDriver Notes (1.15%) and thinking that I can simplify and do better clawing that money back into my Vanguard brokerage account. It was a different story when 1 year UST were paying next to nothing.
I am clawing back funds that got scattered over the last few years as I sought out bonus money. At the time, the bonus money seemed like the only way to enhance rates that had a hard time just approaching 1%. Times change.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 03-24-2022, 06:19 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
What does that accomplish? I just looked and their no penalty CD is paying 0.5%, same as their savings account. Why not just leave it in savings?
I get 0.55% from rolling it over into the no penalty CD. 0.05% bonus for rollover.
Old 03-24-2022, 06:20 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
When Ally does raise their rates, can I exit the no penalty CD and move it into another no penalty CD that pays a higher rate? I have 5 days left to exit the CD before it rolls over to .55%
Yes.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:45 AM   #107
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I see some T Notes @ 1.9% 15 months to maturity. Rates keep going.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:29 PM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
I see some T Notes @ 1.9% 15 months to maturity. Rates keep going.
Yep, the FED will continue to push fed funds rates up until the markets start to blow up. Bond prices across the board will be getting more attractive.
Old 03-25-2022, 01:40 PM   #109

Anyone else considering MYGAs instead of CDs/Certificates?

Many MYGAs give "some" liquidity - from 5-15% a year penalty-free withdrawal and also allow you to defer taxes on the interest. (Interest in a taxable account is only taxed when withdrawn, not when earned, like in a CD or Certificate).

I'm working to open a 2.75% 4-year at the moment. The process is more of a PITA so far than a CD or Certificate, but can't beat it that I know of.
Old 03-25-2022, 02:47 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

I just got off the phone with my FIDO rep. He tells me that on Monday the Deferred Fixed Annuities that they carry will be going up to 2.75% for 3-year and 3% for 4-year duration. Note these are the jumbo (>$100K) rates. Finally looks like we are getting some movement.

I will likely be doing a 3-year one. Big jump from the 0.5% at Ally.
Old 03-25-2022, 02:54 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601NoMore View Post

Many MYGAs give "some" liquidity - from 5-15% a year penalty-free withdrawal and also allow you to defer taxes on the interest. (Interest in a taxable account is only taxed when withdrawn, not when earned, like in a CD or Certificate).

I'm working to open a 2.75% 4-year at the moment. The process is more of a PITA so far than a CD or Certificate, but can't beat it that I know of.
Not currently for me. Started building a at least a one year ladder based on 6 month treasury bills in the early stage of this increasing rate environment. Primarily to replace high yield savings and demand notes. May be adding longer term notes after a year or so.
Old 03-25-2022, 02:58 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGoode View Post
I just got off the phone with my FIDO rep. He tells me that on Monday the Deferred Fixed Annuities that they carry will be going up to 2.75% for 3-year and 3% for 4-year duration. Note these are the jumbo (>$100K) rates. Finally looks like we are getting some movement.

I will likely be doing a 3-year one. Big jump from the 0.5% at Ally.
Good info, thanks.

Not familiar with a Deferred Fixed Annuity. How do they differ from MYGAs?

Also - did he say what carrier(s) are going to 3% on the 4 year?

New York Life is going to 2.75% for 3-7 years (strangely enough). They're one of the highest rated out there. I've seen 3% from more questionable / smaller carriers, but no 3% 4-year from a highly rated company yet so am interested..
Old 03-25-2022, 03:18 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good info, thanks.

Not familiar with a Deferred Fixed Annuity. How do they differ from MYGAs?

Also - did he say what carrier(s) are going to 3% on the 4 year?

New York Life is going to 2.75% for 3-7 years (strangely enough). They're one of the highest rated out there. I've seen 3% from more questionable / smaller carriers, but no 3% 4-year from a highly rated company yet so am interested..
I think New York Life is going to 2.70% soon vs. 2.75%, but what is 5 basis points among friends?
Old 03-25-2022, 04:59 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I think New York Life is going to 2.70% soon vs. 2.75%, but what is 5 basis points among friends?
Ahh, that's right. Good catch.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:11 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yes, i jumped over to MYGAs a little over one year ago and currently looking at 3% for 5yrs with 10% annual withdrawals for an A rated insurer. The tbills are getting my sttention now for shorter terms. There’s a new 1 yr MYGA @ 1% also.

Another plus is that you can lock in a rate when you apply but take 45 days to fund so if something better comes along you can go for the higher rate.
Old 03-26-2022, 08:41 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

I was just looking at the MYGA rates on Blueprint Income and they have many selections flagged for rate increases in the near future. They have A rated issuer offer that is going to 3.2% for 5 yrs. Someone posted that the MYGA offers at Fido are increasing on Monday.
Old 03-27-2022, 02:39 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I was just looking at the MYGA rates on Blueprint Income and they have many selections flagged for rate increases in the near future. They have A rated issuer offer that is going to 3.2% for 5 yrs. Someone posted that the MYGA offers at Fido are increasing on Monday.
IIRC, the MYGA offers at Fidelity are for New York Life, so probably the NYL upcoming increase to 2.70%.
Old 03-28-2022, 02:03 AM   #118

Just liquidated my No Penalty Ally Bank CDs of 0.55% to purchase TBills.

The rep on the phone said they limit transfer outs to $150k per day, but I finally figured out how to do online and they accepted my instructions for more than that. We’ll see if they limit to $150 per day.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:23 PM   #119

Found an old Bank Money Market statement from 1989. 9.62%!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot at 2022-03-28 20-05-20.png (360.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 03-28-2022, 06:31 PM   #120

I have some money in Navy Federal Credit Union that I want to transfer out to get some better interest. It looks like you have to initiate transfer from NFCU checking to an external checking and are limited to $5000 in a day up to $15,000 over 5 days. Seems pretty restricted. Could I do a larger transfer to someplace like Fidelity?
Closed Thread