Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 08:01 AM   #1921
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
Vanguard VMFXX Federal Money Market and the Settlement Fund 7 day SEC yield is up to 2.75% today.
Thanks, Graybeard. I am getting up the nerve to transfer $10K into VMFXX. Currently have money in similar savings fund at Penfed at only 1.7%. Have been poking around the Vanguard website.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2022, 08:28 AM   #1922
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Thanks, Graybeard. I am getting up the nerve to transfer $10K into VMFXX. Currently have money in similar savings fund at Penfed at only 1.7%. Have been poking around the Vanguard website.
Do it. With VMFXX at 2.76% today, you would earn 62% more than at Penfed.

Very easy to ACH money to/from Vanguard.

I moved $40K there last month and am glad I did. Rates went from 2.17 to 2.76 in probably 2 weeks time due to the latest Fed rate raise.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:33 AM   #1923
Recycles dryer sheets

No 1 and 2 month CD's available this morning on Fidelity. One 3 month @ 3.20%. Yesterday there were several 1 and 2 month issues available? I guess everyone is waiting on the FED to jack it up some more next month? I know thats why I am buying 1 and 2 month issues hoping for better yields before year end.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:47 AM   #1924
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11522914 View Post
1 month cds are paying more than comparable Treasuries
The last time I built a CD/bond ladder a few weeks ago, it was mostly CDs but also had a few treasury bonds.

Rates vary by duration and the current interest environment. It only takes a few minutes to check both.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:52 AM   #1925
Recycles dryer sheets

Just noticed that TD Bank is offering the following:

CD's:
6 months: 1.5%
12 months: 2%.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:55 AM   #1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Our Navy FCU CDs are at 3% as well, but have a 12 month penalty that means we don't break them.
Here is a trick to change the penalty to 6 months instead of 12:
Per a phone call I made you can transfer this CD into another CD without penalty as long as the new CD matures later than the original CD. If the new CD is less than 5 years the penalty is 6 months.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:18 AM   #1927
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff View Post
Just noticed that TD Bank is offering the following:

CD's:
6 months: 1.5%
12 months: 2%.
Better opportunities out there

First Republic Bank
Certificate of Deposit

CUSIP
DSM9T3030

Buy
Time period
6 Month
Yield(APY)
3.700%
Maturity date
04/06/2023
Minimum investment
$100
Pay frequency
At maturity
Old 09-30-2022, 10:43 AM   #1928
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm just starting to educate myself of brokered CD's and have a couple of questions:
1. When looking at the offerings on Vanguard, I see the below verbage on most of the entries. What does this mean? I was only looking at new issue offerings.

JP Morgan Chase Bank NA Callable 04/23@100 - Conditional Puts - Death Of Holder, FDIC#628

2. Are there any tip and tricks anyone could recommend in helping improve my selection/screening process?

I appreciate the vast knowledge being shared through this site!
2. What does "Yield to worst bid" actually mean?
Old 09-30-2022, 10:45 AM   #1929
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

SWVXX 2.83%
SNAXX 2.98% today.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:01 PM   #1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
Thanks Freedom!

"I believe there will be a major exit out of passive bond funds over the next three months and much more than the billions of redemptions every week."

Do you consider PIMIX to be a passive bond fund? They just raised their distribution yield from .046 to .055 per share. Their current dist. yield is 5.05%. I'm thinking they must be taking some high risk positions..
https://www.pimco.com/en-us/investme...come-fund/inst
PIMIX invests in high yield and investment grade bonds as well as securitized loans. It's down over 10% YTD. I wouldn't buy it. If you want a fund with better yields go for closed end funds like PDT. At least you earn a decent yield with the risk and volatility.

https://www.cefconnect.com/fund/PDT

When PDT trades down to a steep discount to asset value, it would be a much better buy than PIMIX.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:31 PM   #1931
Recycles dryer sheets

Vanguard currently has a non-callable 3 year 4.4% CD from Discover. Cusip 254673V29
Old 09-30-2022, 01:31 PM   #1932

Penfed just went from 3.25% to 3.6% on 5 and 7 year CD's. They must have seen my posts, lol. Now I have to pause and rethink stuff. A good problem to have, lol. Well, actually, the Vanguard CD's are way better, and Penfed already has a lot of my cash anyway. Hmmm.
Old 09-30-2022, 01:53 PM   #1933

I am logged into the Vanguard website, trying to ACH $10K from a checking account to the VMFXX. I have spent 10 minutes of futility trying to either open VMFXX and/or tell them my checking account details. Don't help me, I'll figure it out. SO far, they suck, lol.

Penfed was WAY easier than this (but their rates are too low)

edit to add: still sucking at Vanguard. What do they think an account is? I have ONE account with various products in it, right? The website is acting as though I need to add a new account for every single product I want to buy.
The sreen says I need to enter an amount. There is NOWHERE to enter an amount. Awful.

A popup appeared and asked my why I was exiting out of the process. I was polite and told them the instructions were unclear. I almost expected a response from them like "Thankyou. We strive to be unclear!" Just awful.

Edit to add one hour later. Giving up for today. The 'live chat' is down. Treasury Direct and Penfed are both way more intuitive than this garbage. Thanks for hearing my rant. I was going to keep it down to one beer today, but maybe not, lol.

BTW, I converted my account from the old legacy platform to this new brokerage stuff a few months ago. Maybe that's why nothing makes sense.
Old 09-30-2022, 02:02 PM   #1934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
PIMIX invests in high yield and investment grade bonds as well as securitized loans. It's down over 10% YTD. I wouldn't buy it. If you want a fund with better yields go for closed end funds like PDT. At least you earn a decent yield with the risk and volatility.

When PDT trades down to a steep discount to asset value, it would be a much better buy than PIMIX.

"When PDT trades down to a steep discount to asset value" Does that ever happen? It looks close now.
Old 09-30-2022, 02:42 PM   #1935

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Here is a trick to change the penalty to 6 months instead of 12:
Per a phone call I made you can transfer this CD into another CD without penalty as long as the new CD matures later than the original CD. If the new CD is less than 5 years the penalty is 6 months.
It actually happened to me a couple of months back and I was not charged a penalty and when I asked she claimed she had no idea why but it happens sometimes.
I checked the dates and the new CD was NOT longer than the original, it was actually about 6 months shorter. Maybe because they felt sorry for me, I was only earning 1.19% and by cancelling it early I made a few thousand dollars and the no penalty just sweetened the deal.
Old 09-30-2022, 02:50 PM   #1936
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
"When PDT trades down to a steep discount to asset value" Does that ever happen? It looks close now.
Follow the link to CEF connect, click on the tab for “pricing information”, then “since inception”. It will show you the history of market price to NAV, or premium / discount. This CEF has many years of history with the market price below the net asset value. From the graph, it would appear trading at discount is the norm.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:18 PM   #1937
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
I am logged into the Vanguard website, trying to ACH $10K from a checking account to the VMFXX. I have spent 10 minutes of futility trying to either open VMFXX and/or tell them my checking account details. Don't help me, I'll figure it out. SO far, they suck, lol.
This is the link I have for adding a bank account at Vanguard
https://personal1.vanguard.com/mnb-m...webapp/welcome

BTW, you don’t need to “purchase” anything at Vanguard if you want VMFXX.
Their default settlement account is the VMFXX fund. So I just tranfer my money in and by default it just sits in the settlement fund == VMFXX
Old 09-30-2022, 03:26 PM   #1938
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Penfed was WAY easier than this (but their rates are too low)

edit to add: still sucking at Vanguard. What do they think an account is? I have ONE account with various products in it, right? The website is acting as though I need to add a new account for every single product I want to buy.
The sreen says I need to enter an amount. There is NOWHERE to enter an amount. Awful.

A popup appeared and asked my why I was exiting out of the process. I was polite and told them the instructions were unclear. I almost expected a response from them like "Thankyou. We strive to be unclear!" Just awful.

Edit to add one hour later. Giving up for today. The 'live chat' is down. Treasury Direct and Penfed are both way more intuitive than this garbage. Thanks for hearing my rant. I was going to keep it down to one beer today, but maybe not, lol.

BTW, I converted my account from the old legacy platform to this new brokerage stuff a few months ago. Maybe that's why nothing makes sense.
I was on hold with Vanguard fixed income forever today. When I got through, the woman was apologetic and said that they have been slammed and are hiring a bunch of new people to help. She was very helpful. I find that the Vanguard folks almost always are. So, try calling them on Monday when you've got something to do while on hold.

BTW, if you've got a brokerage account, you should have a settlement fund set up for you already, even if it shows zero dollars. That settlement fund is VMFXX. On the right hand side of where that account is, there should be an option of "transfer money" with three dots. If you click on the dots, you should be able to transfer from your checking account to your settlement account. That's how I do it on a monthly basis.

If you don't already have your checking account set up for transfers, click on the three dots by the "More account information" on the left hand side of your settlement account and you'll see an option to add a new bank account.

I agree that their site is not very intuitive.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:27 PM   #1939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post

When I chart PDT with SPY (S & P 500 index tracking ETF) they run very close..Does the chart reflect reinvestment of PDT dividends? If so, it seems to perform about like the stock market
Old 09-30-2022, 05:24 PM   #1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
SWVXX 2.83%
SNAXX 2.98% today.
Thanks for including SWVXX for us poor folk.
Closed Thread