Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 02:52 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a Capital One money market account, paying 0.40%. While I've never had any issues with the account, their rates aren't giving me much reason to stick with them right now.

I'm eligible for Navy Federal Credit Union, and they have slightly better rates (0.45%) as well as a local physical branch.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2022, 05:41 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Bingo. I'm with Vanguard, not Fidelity, but I just bought my first CD from them this week. 18 months at 1.6% compared to Ally offering 1.1% for the same term. We have 2 CDs still with Ally but when they mature later this year, I will move them over.

From what I've seen, US Treasuries are generally currently higher yielding than CDs until you get about 5 years out and then the advantage flips to CDs so a US Treasury maturing 9/30/23 at 1.92% would be better than an 18-month CD for 1.6%.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-23-2022, 05:45 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
From what I've seen, US Treasuries are generally currently higher yielding than CDs until you get about 5 years out and then the advantage flips to CDs so a US Treasury maturing 9/30/23 at 1.92% would be better than an 18-month CD for 1.6%.
Good to know. We don't own any Treasuries and I've never bought them. I'll need to read up on the process. At least in this case, I already had some cash sitting in our Vanguard account from year-end 2021 income that I hadn't done anything with yet so it was simple to just buy the CD right there.
Old 03-23-2022, 05:46 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGoode View Post
Ally Bank savings and CD rates are lagging. 0.5% savings and their 12-month "High Yield" CD is 0.75%. From what I've seen in the past Ally was always very competitive. I've got the bulk of my fixed income allocation at Ally spread between savings and CD's but I think at this point I will start migrating to FIDO CD Ladders.
I just rollover to the Ally no penalty CDs as a place holder and wait for better rates before committing to 12-15 month CDs.
Old 03-23-2022, 05:53 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I just rollover to the Ally no penalty CDs as a place holder and wait for better rates before committing to 12-15 month CDs.
Yep, that is where I have my money as well. I'm just noticing that Ally seems to be lagging in adjusting interest rates. It could be that they've changed their philosophy about how aggressive they will be on the returns they offer. They used to be in the top 2 or 3 of CD and Savings returns. Not right now. I'm not going to move everything away from them, but I will liquidate a couple of those no-pentalty CD's and look for greener pasture for the next 18 months or so. If Ally raises their rates again, I'll be back.
Old 03-23-2022, 05:55 PM   #86

Quote:
What does that accomplish? I just looked and their no penalty CD is paying 0.5%, same as their savings account. Why not just leave it in savings?
Old 03-23-2022, 05:55 PM   #87

For a 6 month time frame, is there anything better than online savings right now?

Sitting on a lot of cash for a house purchase...
Old 03-23-2022, 05:57 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
For a 6 month time frame, is there anything better than online savings right now?
Sure. A 6-month CD. I just looked at Vanguard's brokered CDs and the top 6-month one is paying 0.85%.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:40 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good to know. We don't own any Treasuries and I've never bought them. I'll need to read up on the process. At least in this case, I already had some cash sitting in our Vanguard account from year-end 2021 income that I hadn't done anything with yet so it was simple to just buy the CD right there.
You can buy Treasuries from Vanguard as well... it's the same process as buying brokered CDs... and both are full faith and credit... they are effectively one and the same.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-23-2022, 07:50 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You can buy Treasuries from Vanguard as well... it's the same process as buying brokered CDs... and both are full faith and credit... they are effectively one and the same.
Duh. I should have known that. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:26 PM   #91
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
I have a Capital One money market account, paying 0.40%. While I've never had any issues with the account, their rates aren't giving me much reason to stick with them right now.

I'm eligible for Navy Federal Credit Union, and they have slightly better rates (0.45%) as well as a local physical branch.
FYI, viobank is paying 0.66% on their MM. I have had vio for a couple years now and happy with them. They seem to try and have rates that are above average.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:10 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGoode View Post
Yep, that is where I have my money as well. I'm just noticing that Ally seems to be lagging in adjusting interest rates. It could be that they've changed their philosophy about how aggressive they will be on the returns they offer. They used to be in the top 2 or 3 of CD and Savings returns. Not right now. I'm not going to move everything away from them, but I will liquidate a couple of those no-pentalty CD's and look for greener pasture for the next 18 months or so. If Ally raises their rates again, I'll be back.
When Ally does raise their rates, can I exit the no penalty CD and move it into another no penalty CD that pays a higher rate? I have 5 days left to exit the CD before it rolls over to .55%
Old 03-23-2022, 10:41 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But.... I just purchased a one year t-bill for 1.6%, over three times what Ally is offering on the no penalty CD. Will Ally offer a big enough rate increase soon enough to negate the loss of earnings while you wait? This is something to consider. Time will tell.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:24 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
What does that accomplish? I just looked and their no penalty CD is paying 0.5%, same as their savings account. Why not just leave it in savings?

I thought the same, so changed all my CD's at Ally to auto deposit back to the savings account.

No sense in locking up money at this time.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:41 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
When Ally does raise their rates, can I exit the no penalty CD and move it into another no penalty CD that pays a higher rate? I have 5 days left to exit the CD before it rolls over to .55%

That’s an interesting question. I assume you could just move to a new higher rate. If you are Ally and you are looking at huge deposits in the no penalty accounts it might discourage you from raising rates.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:15 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post

T-Mobile Money (FDIC insured) remains at 1.00%. Might make it a bit more worth the trouble.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:25 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
T-Mobile Money (FDIC insured) remains at 1.00%. Might make it a big more worth the trouble.
As I read this, I don't have to be a T-Mobile customer to get the 1% interest but if I am, I can also open a checking account and get 4% Interest on the first $3k with qualifying transactions and other perks. I'm not a T-Mobile customer and have no plans to be anytime soon.
I'm not interested in a checking account, just a place to park money for now. Would this account work for me?
Old 03-24-2022, 09:43 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
As I read this, I don't have to be a T-Mobile customer to get the 1% interest but if I am, I can also open a checking account and get 4% Interest on the first $3k with qualifying transactions and other perks. I'm not a T-Mobile customer and have no plans to be anytime soon.
I'm not interested in a checking account, just a place to park money for now. Would this account work for me?
It has for me.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:58 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
It has for me.
Great, I think i'll sign up. I took a quick look to see if they offered any referral bonuses but not that I can see. If they're giving you anything for a new referral send me a code.
Thanks
Old 03-24-2022, 10:18 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
Great, I think i'll sign up. I took a quick look to see if they offered any referral bonuses but not that I can see. If they're giving you anything for a new referral send me a code.
Thanks
Not to my knowledge but thanks for that!
Closed Thread