Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2022 - Please post updates here

Status
Not open for further replies.
We still get 1.1% on the money market account at Marcus as long as we keep adding friends referrals we can extend it three months at a time at that rate which includes the AAA RP .1% . I am hoping they will soon adjust that rate on their base money market account upward right now we are at the FDIC insurance limit on the one account actually a little bit more and see little reason to move funds until rates settle out.

I think our plan will be to roll some more into SPY with covered calls to hedge. But volatility has gotten a little bit low to see much premium.

^^^ I had some money in my Vanguard brokerage account that I shouldn't need until 2023 so rather than move it our to my online savings account that only pays 0.50% I bought a UST Bill that matures 12/29/22 that yields 1.15%.

Now I'm looking at the DERI notes (1.10%), GM RightNotes (1.25%) and Toyota IncomeDriver Notes (1.15%) and thinking that I can simplify and do better clawing that money back into my Vanguard brokerage account. It was a different story when 1 year UST were paying next to nothing.

Last edited:
^^^ I had some money in my Vanguard brokerage account that I shouldn't need until 2023 so rather than move it our to my online savings account that only pays 0.50% I bought a UST Bill that matures 12/29/22 that yields 1.15%.

Now I'm looking at the DERI notes (1.10%), GM RightNotes (1.25%) and Toyota IncomeDriver Notes (1.15%) and thinking that I can simplify and do better clawing that money back into my Vanguard brokerage account. It was a different story when 1 year UST were paying next to nothing.

I am clawing back funds that got scattered over the last few years as I sought out bonus money. At the time, the bonus money seemed like the only way to enhance rates that had a hard time just approaching 1%. Times change.

What does that accomplish? I just looked and their no penalty CD is paying 0.5%, same as their savings account. Why not just leave it in savings?

I get 0.55% from rolling it over into the no penalty CD. 0.05% bonus for rollover.

I see some T Notes @ 1.9% 15 months to maturity. Rates keep going.

Anyone else considering MYGAs instead of CDs/Certificates?

Many MYGAs give "some" liquidity - from 5-15% a year penalty-free withdrawal and also allow you to defer taxes on the interest. (Interest in a taxable account is only taxed when withdrawn, not when earned, like in a CD or Certificate).

I'm working to open a 2.75% 4-year at the moment. The process is more of a PITA so far than a CD or Certificate, but can't beat it that I know of.

I just got off the phone with my FIDO rep. He tells me that on Monday the Deferred Fixed Annuities that they carry will be going up to 2.75% for 3-year and 3% for 4-year duration. Note these are the jumbo (>$100K) rates. Finally looks like we are getting some movement.

I will likely be doing a 3-year one. Big jump from the 0.5% at Ally.

Many MYGAs give "some" liquidity - from 5-15% a year penalty-free withdrawal and also allow you to defer taxes on the interest. (Interest in a taxable account is only taxed when withdrawn, not when earned, like in a CD or Certificate).

I'm working to open a 2.75% 4-year at the moment. The process is more of a PITA so far than a CD or Certificate, but can't beat it that I know of.

Not currently for me. Started building a at least a one year ladder based on 6 month treasury bills in the early stage of this increasing rate environment. Primarily to replace high yield savings and demand notes. May be adding longer term notes after a year or so.

I just got off the phone with my FIDO rep. He tells me that on Monday the Deferred Fixed Annuities that they carry will be going up to 2.75% for 3-year and 3% for 4-year duration. Note these are the jumbo (>$100K) rates. Finally looks like we are getting some movement.

I will likely be doing a 3-year one. Big jump from the 0.5% at Ally.

Good info, thanks.

Not familiar with a Deferred Fixed Annuity. How do they differ from MYGAs?

Also - did he say what carrier(s) are going to 3% on the 4 year?

New York Life is going to 2.75% for 3-7 years (strangely enough). They're one of the highest rated out there. I've seen 3% from more questionable / smaller carriers, but no 3% 4-year from a highly rated company yet so am interested..

Last edited:
Good info, thanks.

Not familiar with a Deferred Fixed Annuity. How do they differ from MYGAs?

Also - did he say what carrier(s) are going to 3% on the 4 year?

New York Life is going to 2.75% for 3-7 years (strangely enough). They're one of the highest rated out there. I've seen 3% from more questionable / smaller carriers, but no 3% 4-year from a highly rated company yet so am interested..

I think New York Life is going to 2.70% soon vs. 2.75%, but what is 5 basis points among friends?:D

Yes, i jumped over to MYGAs a little over one year ago and currently looking at 3% for 5yrs with 10% annual withdrawals for an A rated insurer. The tbills are getting my sttention now for shorter terms. There’s a new 1 yr MYGA @ 1% also.

Another plus is that you can lock in a rate when you apply but take 45 days to fund so if something better comes along you can go for the higher rate.

I was just looking at the MYGA rates on Blueprint Income and they have many selections flagged for rate increases in the near future. They have A rated issuer offer that is going to 3.2% for 5 yrs. Someone posted that the MYGA offers at Fido are increasing on Monday.

I was just looking at the MYGA rates on Blueprint Income and they have many selections flagged for rate increases in the near future. They have A rated issuer offer that is going to 3.2% for 5 yrs. Someone posted that the MYGA offers at Fido are increasing on Monday.

IIRC, the MYGA offers at Fidelity are for New York Life, so probably the NYL upcoming increase to 2.70%.

Just liquidated my No Penalty Ally Bank CDs of 0.55% to purchase TBills.

The rep on the phone said they limit transfer outs to $150k per day, but I finally figured out how to do online and they accepted my instructions for more than that. We’ll see if they limit to $150 per day.

Found an old Bank Money Market statement from 1989. 9.62%!

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2022-03-28 20-05-20.png
    Screenshot at 2022-03-28 20-05-20.png
    360 KB · Views: 65
I have some money in Navy Federal Credit Union that I want to transfer out to get some better interest. It looks like you have to initiate transfer from NFCU checking to an external checking and are limited to $5000 in a day up to $15,000 over 5 days. Seems pretty restricted. Could I do a larger transfer to someplace like Fidelity?

I have some money in Navy Federal Credit Union that I want to transfer out to get some better interest. It looks like you have to initiate transfer from NFCU checking to an external checking and are limited to $5000 in a day up to $15,000 over 5 days. Seems pretty restricted. Could I do a larger transfer to someplace like Fidelity?
I found with the credit unions you have to do the ACH from the outside, like Ally to and from PenFed worked for large amounts, but not the other way around.

I found with the credit unions you have to do the ACH from the outside, like Ally to and from PenFed worked for large amounts, but not the other way around.
I was going to say the same. It's usually better to "pull" the money out via the destination account rather than "push" the money out from the origin account.

Another option is to call Navy Federal and have them wire transfer the money to the other bank or credit union... it'll cost you $14 for the wire transfer fee but it is worth avoiding the ACH hassles.

https://www.navyfederal.org/services/transfers/wire-transfers.html

5-year CDs at Fidelity now 2.65%.
4-year 2.60%
3-year 2.55%

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom